Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

The law serves the people, not the other way around. When the law, including international laws and treaties are detrimental for a country then it's time to change them or withdraw from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The narrative that Irish people are suddenly leaving in their droves is not true. People are also returning in equal numbers. More non-nationals left the country last year than Irish nationals.

The law shouldn't be broken just because you don't like foreigners

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

So you say it's not happening anywhere else and then only reference Britain as your example.

You probably haven't a clue of anything beyond Britain and America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Potentially because these events happening in Ireland have nothing to do with the far right. I know for sure one local roadblock had nothing to do with the far right.

The arson events will have a mysterious element to them until at least some or even one results in an investigation that amounts to anything. The fact that all the investigations came to nothing makes me think that they could be down to unconnected lone wolf attacks, but who really knows at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Oh where do I start.

I'd start with setting up a single department to managed immigration called the Department of Immigration with a strong and experienced senior minister. I mean O'Gorman had the Department of Children before they renamed it to "Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth" and yet this department now has to do all the heavy lifting on housing immigrants? Makes no sense whatsoever. Smoke and mirrors.

Then resource that department with capable civil servants and detail their scope, powers and governance. The first priority would be about building a fair strategy with detailed plans and processes. Processes that are actually enforced. Try and cut out the waste and bureaucracy (this may require judicial reform) in order to make the asylum processing timeline slick and efficient. No excuses.

Then get the 3 unwise men to bring the strategy/plans to the people of Ireland. They need to present it, own it and not scapegoat it (Greens were silly to take it on). And if any other cabinet ministers don't play ball with the new Department of Immigration, remove them. Same for senior civil servants. We had to listen to the 3 unwise men enough during Covid so they can treat this issue (and housing) with the same priority as the Covid virus. The local government also need to provide more ownership but that's a whole new thread. Try and allot the immigrants equally amongst each county and town on a per capita basis. Reduce the social welfare rates to incentivise work and self sufficiency (for Irish people too - again a whole thread required there).

In the meantime, build build build more housing. Fasttrack planning reform. No excuses. Finish the Children's hospital. Build more capacity in our health system.

Finally push for an end of that pointless war.

Edit: Jail the amoebas that are burning buildings.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, I wouldn't even be surprised if these are not 'far right' events. Are people here simply less afraid of the law perhaps? I imagine the cops in some other European countries would come down like a ton of bricks on people mounting road blocks or those caught for torching a refugee centre.

Look at who are leaving. We have a long tradition of Unemployed leaving to find work. I think highly qualified people with well paid jobs leaving is a growing problem. Unemployed people leaving can help the countries finances but qualified experienced workers leaving is very damaging.

Aren't you able to make conclusions on what's going on here for yourself?

Typical boards poster. Experts on Britain and America. Rubbish on their own country.

• Advertisement

I said changed, not broken.

But law is broken every time someone presents themselves with no passport, but somehow that's an acceptable kind of law breaking.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Terrible people taking matters into their own hands, it's just a shame the criminal justice system is ineffective and useless, shur what's to be done.

There is no fear of the guards. All the videos of them running away from scum in Dublin does not help their reputation. There was a video last year also of a garda car getting rammed by teenagers and the guards were then praised by their seniors and in the media for running away. They are not set up or trained to deal with physical confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I do hope the idiot arsonists who burned down the hotel in the west of Ireland and now this one in Dublin are found, prosecuted and gaoled. Their actions paint this country as a small. parochial, idiotic, hateful backwater. They do not represent this country. We have a housing crisis and their solution? Burn down much needed accommodation that was being brought into use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Mod

Warned and thread banned.

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

The State is currently giving tents to male refugees arriving here. Backward isn't it.

You're right, it is backward. These people are refugees. They ought to be housed properly. Well said.

A someone once said, things can always get worse.

• Advertisement

No, but peaceful protest rarely change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

How the properties in Roscahill and Ringsends didn't have security stationed there is strange. If i owned a property about to get a very lucrative state contract I'd sleep in the building myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be honest I definitely wouldn't, given the climate.

I wonder what fire insurance premiums are like when the owners inform the companies of the potential change of use. Would they even be an insurable risk at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Heard Leo on radio talking about another government that could be with a rotational taoiseach. Do they think there getting back in at the wheel again? Hes an arrogant dick.

Deleted

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

UsBus thread banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

You are dreaming if you think simple 'guilt by association' will kill the issue without it being addressed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

How many properties have been burned down by these mindless idiots over the past few years? My thinking is 10+ at this point. They are doing nobody any favours. Have any of the gobdaws been caught by the Gardai yet?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Aodhan O'Riordan calling it domestic terrorism.

He's showing restraint in his language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I've worked in Ringsend for over 15 years now.

It's one of the last places on earth I would plop one of these places down in.

Looking at the news why are they only saying now that the building was to house families ? I don't believe them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement