Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Is there no longer early booking discount for Irish Ferries? Don't remember ever booking this early, I think later in the winter they usually heavily advertise some discount...? Don't want to book too early and pay too much but don't want to lose "cheaper" cabins...!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just got an email from irish ferries saying theres a 10% early boooker discount if you book now. Theres no code so it must be for all bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Has anyone ever stayed in Camping Soulac Plage? It's a Sandaya site.

I will have a 13 and 15 yo in tow.

Just wondering what area around it is like, and will teens find enough to do? I prefer calmer sites generally and this looks pretty nice I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just looked at the Irish Ferries price there. Our sailing for July next Yr is 50 euros dearer with the discount than what we booked it for in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Thanks for that but this "discount" seems like a load of BS and some kind of attempt to make buyers feel like they're getting a bargain

With the new "discount" price was €40 dearer than a saved search I had from 2 days pre discount - it let me hold on to that saved search price somehow so just pulled the trigger on it, never cheap to travel in July but it is 2 nights accommodation for the 5 of us included, I keep telling myself that anyway...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Folks, I'm heading down to La Rochelle with 2 kids (age 2 + 7). I'm wondering if anyone had any recommendations on places to stay the night? We can't check in until the next day so we need a stop over. Any tips/advice appreciated!

We stayed there last year. Our kids were 18 mths and 5.5 yrs. We stayed in Sensations and is closer to the action. Nature et Sens was more for older families (or those without kids). All the action is in the Sensations section (pool slides, entertainment, bar...etc.). Having been there and seeing both we didn't regret our choice.

Word of warning. None of the homes have AC in any of the areas.

Then I'd even more so recommend the place! It was mid 30s when we stayed there and the heat was really hard to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Peckham

About to pull the trigger on booking our 2024 holiday.

Have always either done Irish Ferries or Brittany Ferries, but Stena sailing dates and time coming home look preferable.

Is there much difference between the two Stena ships on that route, and how do they compare to Pont Aven? Guessing they're not as plush as WBY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 pacman114

This place looks pretty good. Any tips for travel to the camp? Did you fly or get the ferry?

We travelled via the Ferry. The drive wasn't bad, 4:30hrs-5hrs but it depends on the age of your kids and stops you need to take.

The only downside to that camp for me is not being close to a town. I tend to get cabin fever in these camps and I like being able to walk or cycle into town for an escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jack0125

I not sure how you could do Pin Parasol without a car. So if you flying, are you thinking car rental!

The onsite shop while being expensive just wouldnt have great choice

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Officer999

Hi all, we’re looking at booking our pet into one of the pet cabins on the Rosslare to Cherbourg route. We’re wondering though where we can take her on the ship to do her business? She’s totally house trained so won’t go indoors. Is there an outdoor area you can bring the pet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ruby00

Hi we had pet cabin on stena horizon in summer, cabin fine but very small area walk dog. Not adequate. Could only go out 2 or 3 times

Booking my travel back from France next summer and have 2 options, either get Irish Ferries at 4.30pm or Stena Horizon at 8.30pm.

While we won't be under huge time pressure to get to Cherbourg, the additional 4 hours will mean we can amble our way up rather than doing a straight, quick run.

AFAIK the WBY is more comfortable than the Stena Horizon, but is it worth compromising on the comfort for the extra 4 hours and easy driving in France? Haven't travelled Stena before - always IF or BF.

Prices are broadly the same, and we live in Wicklow so not much difference whether we arrive into Dublin or Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Ambling up for the 4:30 sailing to me would mean constant time watching and probably stopping in motorway stations to kill time. Make a day of it, head to the Normandy beaches or mont st michel for the day and then get the late boat. You don’t say where you are coming from so not sure how far you have to drive.

Thanks. It's only from Les Sables d'Olonne and have done the drive a few times before and got the 16:30 Irish Ferries with no issues.

However, not sure the 20:30 Stena Horizon sailing was ever an option previously and it has obvious appeals as you point out.

But happy enough to get to Cherbourg for the WBY if it's a lot more pleasant than the Horizon - especially as it doesn't dock until lunchtime, so lots of hanging around on the ferry the next day.

Basically am looking for a comparison between the two boats - is the loss of comfort worth the trade-off of 4 extra hours to make our way up through France?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Last time I was on stena, people were allowed travel without booking rooms so they slept everywhere which I found very off putting. Not sure if still allowed but I haven’t travelled with them since, so hopefully someone else can confirm. WBY gets my vote and I’m not far from Rosslare

• Registered Users Posts: 47 An tAlbanach

I had a grand idea of travelling with wife and the 3 little ones to France without the car, and doing a holiday resort type holiday. Struggling to find options that don't require a car on the other side.

Rosslare preferably

Any ideas? I've used search function!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭browne_rob5

I haven't been but Les Mouettes gets a lot of positive reviews and is only a 20 mins drive from Roscoff so you could probably arrange a transfer. Not many options without a car from the ferry alright. Flying would open up a lot more.

Sail and rail via Cherbourg and then choose a campsite near a large town with decent rail connection. Then taxi to campsite.

It's 3.5 hours by train from Cherbourg to Paris, and then plenty of fast trains to major cities. Bordeaux, for example, is 8 hours in total from Cherbourg. Perpignan 9.5 hours.

Doable, but a bit of faff depending on ages/tolerance levels of kids.

We did a rail-based holiday around Germany/Netherlands/Belgium last year with our 3 (aged 6 to 12) and it worked well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

They are much more expensive compared to last year no doubt.

Booked a comfort plus for La Croix du Vieux Pont in October for July 2024 and got a random email from them last week upgrading us to an Ultimate free of charge though.

About 2k in the difference for the dates we wanted so I'm not going to knock them too much after that though!😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

@Peckham re your question on WB Yeats vs Stena Horizon, I've been on both and while the Horizon was grand for a recent off-season trip I don't think I'd like it on a busy summer crossing. Having been used to the larger WB Yeats the Horizon felt small to us and the single bar and dining area was quite limited in size and in the range of food/drinks on offer.

All thinks considered and particularly if you have kids with you then I'd definitely suggest WB Yeats over the Horizon unless the price difference is dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The other Stena ship on the Rosslare Cherbourg route the Vision is a bigger boat with more options including pet friendly cabins. Check which boat is on the sailing you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I have a question about transfers from airports to Eurocamp sites.

We are a family of 6 going on a foreign holiday for the first time.

Looking at Eurocamp because that's really our budget.

But I notice many are anything up to 100k from airports many without good public transport links.

We will be flying rather than taking a ferry.

Are there any good sites to compare transfer operators ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You could fly Dublin to carcassone or Perpignan https://perpignan-airport-transfers.com/ to argeles sur mer or fly Shannon to bezier and stay in one of the sites there.

it is possible to get a bus from perp airport to the city €2 pp and train/bus from the GARE to argeles sur mer. Bit of hassle with young kids though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thanks

Perpignan and B are way out of the budget for flights.

Much more reasonable is La Rochelle.

There is a site there called "Le Village Crosaire des 2 plages" very close to the city.

Has anyone ever been?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Have a look at prices from Birmingham or stanstead to perp, we’re getting robbed from dub!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. Over the years I’ve done a few sites in Brittany / Paris where we’ve taken the car and ferry option and more recently ventured down south and flown / hired a car. Has anybody found a campsite that you’d get away without car hire please? Just trying to save a few quid as it seems rather pricey this year! There are 5 of us, 2 older teen girls and a 9 year old boy! Mid July. Thank you!

Advertisement