Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The property in Ringsend wasn't earmarked for Refugees. It was for Irish homeless.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

SF are falling in polls. There is an outside chance FFG could get back into government yes.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

A complete asshole from a useless political party.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But in no way can this be seen as a boost to the anti-refugee protests....it's nothing but bad publicity. Those on social media talking about "justifiable anger" are doing them no favours either, makes it sound like they approve of the arson attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

You are assuming the people of Ireland support the government's policy.

They don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

There was fellas protesting the last month outside it, strange that they didn't tell them a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Being honest? I'm at the stage with the government and their policies that I don't believe for a minute it was for homeless families. My guess is that's being trotted out to hopefully stop the anti immigration ones that are doing this kinda thing and/or turn the general public against them who have been turning a blind eye to the burning out.

Kinda like how they "intend to engage with communities and their concerns" which has always played out as holding a meeting with some government reps who get the heads ate off them and take off with their tails between their legs and say "it's happening anyways" then try to bus em in during the middle of the night.

Because I can tell you I meet the public in the course of my job and I'd say nearly 9 in every 10 range from low key supporting it to not giving a shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Even the slightest threat, an inkling, of a house to be given to immigrants is enough of an excuse to get it torched. That's where we are now. The government is so out of touch with the publics feeling on this.

Their mantra, "this is not us. This is not who we are. Not in our name". Well that is us. This is who we are. Because it's what happens when NGOs and the government don't listen to the public.

Ps. I don't condone burning buildings. Its wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Correct my friend.

What happened last night was a result of inactivity on the government's part. There were women with their buggies outside that building at 7.15am most mornings.

The situation was allowed to flop along, and last night was the result.

Frankly it just shows direct provision centres were actually the best of a bad lot in accomodation for asylum seekers.

All we have now is Fianna Fail and Fine Gael voter's getting their old run down hotels, pubs and B and B's getting nice juicy private contracts and probably costing more than the old system.

Own door accomodation? If you think the burning of derelict hotels is bad imagine what would happen if swaths of new estates with A rated homes were going to asylum seekers? Imagine the housing crisis was over, every Irish person has their own home or cheap realistic rents, you don't think think we'd be getting 2/3/4 times the amount of applicants if that little gem got out?

Best I could support is own door modular apartments in a centre/camp sorta thing like Ukrainians are getting to discourage piss takers.

That's all providing we start to do a France on it and immediately return anyone to same destination without documentation. Quick processing and especially 1 appeal and you are returned to whatever airport/nation you arrived here from if you fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Be careful. People might start calling you racist.

It was advised 2 or 3 weeks ago it was for homeless Irish

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

I think i understand this now.

The Ringsend hotel is certainly for Asylum Seeker/Refugee accommodation. However they want to pull the wool over the public about that.

Since there are AS that have been given tents, they are now going to be considered "homeless people", and so the media and government will now be referring to any protest or action against these places, as against "homeless people".

It's a cynical play on semantics.

They can call me what they want. One good thing is people are so fed up and can see wood from the trees in the last few years. You know full well a large amount of people agree with you. Look at the Irish Times poll couple months back. The far right label is already old hat and it never worked in the first place.

Funny thing was authorities and immigration supporters from the left to the right had plenty of times to actually listen but in stupidity and arrogance labelled everyone a racist and instead of implementing simple common sense policies we are at the stage where building are being burnt out.

Sounds like you are trying to create a conspiracy theory there

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Miharo

They have past form in telling the locals exactly this and then sneaking lots of single males into accomodation in the middle of the night, so I can understand skeptism.

Unfortunately hardly anyone trusts the Irish government anymore on this, they've lost all credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Another thing is the utopian ideal of mass immigration not being a issue is rapidly being exposed to the general public and it's supporters can't paper over the cracks theyd have gotten away with up until the last few years.

Just look at the political stage in Sweden of all places, their little utopian ideal and how it's results are turning everyday voters. Look at Wilders who were told was a laughing stock and would never get more than a few racists and islamophobes supporting him.

Even little oul Ireland, even the financial side of things that was always brought up is being laid bare. Too much immigration and housing, healthcare and policing barely able to keep up. Irish and EU citizens struggling to make rent and bills seeing new arrivals even ones here to work driving down wages and rents and everything else going up. Not to mention if locals are on the housing list and see refugees getting that new a rated council build. Nah lads that's not gonna pass anymore, people are too angry and fed up and it's only getting worse

I've said it before, hand out a few hundred thousand visas for IT, financial and other decent income professions, I mean ones that are reasonably staffed. Let's drive down David the accountants wage from say 50k to 35k seeing as there will be plenty willing to do their job. Paul the programmer who's used to good salary and benefits who's now told take a nice pay cut cause they can hire 2 lads from India or Russia for his wage

You'll see attitudes changing fairly sharply

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just because people don't support the government, does not mean they support the other

Edit forgot the don't

Post edited by martingriff on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Do you think it would have stopped it. Would people believe them.

People setting fire to buildings is on the people who set fire to them not what is or not said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

It's not even the fact of uselessness. He talks out of both sides of his mouth. If at this stage the majority dont see that at this stage they truly are clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Again, we see a local backlash against an immoral, bitterly unpopular process.

Again, I find it hard to mourn the loss of an empty building in the context of young women being butchered more brutally than any animal in broad daylight, men being decapitated in their own homes and a foreigner wading into a group of toddlers swinging a knife. All unprecedented crimes carried out by people who should not have been in the country in the first place.

Again, where decent people are demonised, marginalised and ignored, they take drastic action.

The Irish nation has a history of direct action against a ruling regime which is hostile to it; which privileges outsiders and outside interests above it at its obvious reduction, damage and expense.

I see the current unrest as a continuation of that tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

It's complete nonsense, it's obvious to everyone that place was never meant for irish homeless. The guards are still seeking anyone with info regarding the burning in Galway, locals are obviously protecting those involved because they dont agree with the immigration scam either.

This new "was meant for irish homless" is an attempt to get local engagement in information provision to the guards but everyone can see through that pathetic nonsense

A conspiracy? Possible, basic government propaganda is now a conspiracy is that ye are resulting to? I remember when people who questioned the percentage of households the gov claimed had paid their water charges were conspiracy theorists, we saw how that turned out didn't we?

I remember people on here who suggested the government would ignore and run rough over small communities with housing asylum seekers were conspiracy theorists, then the department started sending in buses in the night or very early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

And why in a left of centre country like Ireland is this happening? The reason is because concerns are being ignored by those in Government. Re-watch tonight with Katie Hannon from a couple of weeks ago when the Rosslare residents group were interviewed in the audience. They were promised a meeting with government officials weeks prior on the same program, when asked if they got any word - no was their answer. If Roddy and Co. are not willing to discuss or acknowledge local concerns then the locals step it up a gear, shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It was literally reported in the press two weeks ago that the building was earmarked for homeless Irish families:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Setting up protests outside any premises the Government has earmarked for these single men is the best way communities can make their feelings known.

Despite what some on here and certain Government Ministers think there is nothing wrong with setting up a blockade as long as it remains peaceful.

I don't know if its true or not that Ringsend was for homeless families but burning down stuff is never the way to protest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Do you believe TheJournal.ie reports honestly? They recently received hundreds of thousands of Euro from the EU to peddle official lines. In the run up to the 2018 referendum they blatantly edited one of their 'fact-checks' ahead of the vote:

Before: FactCheck: Does this pro-life leaflet stand up to scrutiny? (archive.org)

After: FactCheck: Does this pro-life leaflet stand up to scrutiny? (thejournal.ie)

Blatant agenda in TheJournal.ie to push for what the Government wants paid for by the taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Do you mean a protest, a picket, or a blockade now?

Because there is plenty wrong with a blockade

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement