Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Don’t start. The head the balls will be back talking about Tan names. It’s been a few weeks since the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Spencer101

Perhaps not about being able to get a credit card ? There is a post on this thread or one of its predecessors from 2020 that wasn’t deleted and it said ‘ Patsy had or has a patch of street benzo sellers’. If someone was involved in selling benzos for cash being able to wash some of that money through a business might be helpful ?

Cheddar Bob

Registered Users

Spencer10112:29 am

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121552533#Comment_121552533

Working from memory and it’s 9+ months since evidence but trial told something like Patsy Hutch had no credit card. Dowdall paid for sundry Hutch expenditure that needed a credit card and was given money back in cash. So in that context as starting point could have stuck to line that he often ran such errands for Hutch and it was none of his business why a hotel room was needed. Did part of evidence not include Dowdall suggesting at some point he thought room was so Patsy could meet a female ‘friend’ ? But likely the recordings en route to North made that claim of ignorance pretty hard to bring home. As to why someone else didn’t book the room the day before they emigrated/ some ‘wino’ one or more of below may arise:-

(a) Stupidity;

(b) A desire to keep a limited number of people known to Hutch OCG involved with a belief that Dowdall could bluff his way out of trouble.

(c) A deliberate tactic to throw Dowdall under bus and/or also link attack to republicans;

I think it was actually Dowdall told Gardai his dad might have had a bird on the side, or even a fella I recall him wisecracking haha. And that's why he was in the hotel.

Was he daft enough to think that excuse would wash? Maybe if they'd booked a room several times over the months prior (impossible- I doubt the boxing presser was booked that far in advance).

Or CCTV wise they could have backed up his story by hiring a brazzer to be seen on CCTV going to the room and spending the night there. Few of these foreign ones actually live here permanently, she would never be tracked down.

The claim that he spent years booking flights, gig tickets and whatever else for Patsy Hutch also didn't wash with me. It was 2015/16, not 2003 when you would go annoying your only mate who had a credit card.

And why would Patsy use JD for this anyway- even if he isn't allowed cards by the banks because of debts or whatever, he had three kids who were living in Dublin (outside of prison) and a wife- surely any of these are an easier option for an online purchase rather than driving up to Navan Rd to get it done?

IIRC it was belived at the time the operation involved at least 12, 13 people.

Both Dowdalls. The Paymaster.

5 gunmen- Kevin Murray confirmed. Alleged- PH (acquitted on a technicality), NCH, Mago and one other for who several names have been suggested.

Two drivers, convicted- Jason Bonney, Paul Murphy.

Was alleged from memory to be five getaway drivers in total waiting at the GAA grounds, one for each gunman. The late Neddie Hutch alleged to have been one of them. The courts have also accused PH of being involved.

That there is 12 men. Whether either of the Dowdalls, or the Paymaster, was alleged to be a driver as well, I don't know.

Either way it seems the Dowdalls were the only men involved who were never of any prior serious criminal pedigree, which makes them a strange choice to involve given they'd be more afraid of prison than anybody else in the operation.

Grehan likely explained to Gerry Hutch that it was obvious the card had been passed to someone. For the purposes of defending him he had to suggest a named person and there were a v limited number of people who that might have been. Any evidence against Patsy Hutch was necessarily weaker or he would also have been arrested. They likely had a sense from Dowdall’s profile as a councillor and interview on Joe Duffy that he would be a poor witness. So however it was verbalised - we need to mention Patsy but he’s not necessarily going to be in as much risk as you might think by that approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

What's completely mental is that Hutch was extradited from Spain and charged with Murder before dowdall turned. So the only evidence they basically had was a few photos of him in Donegal and the wire tappings that were about 90% illegally obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭notsocutehoor

That was unbelievable, there wasn't a shred of evidence (absolutely nothing) to tie GH to the murder, yet the Gardai were able to get him extradited from Spain (the Spanish are normally reticent about extraditing somebody who has obviously no case to answer), what story was spun to the Spanish authorities. It was equally unbelievable that the DPP would go ahead with a prosecution with no evidence and zero chance of a conviction, she really should have to explain her decision

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

I just can't for the life of me understand why Sean Gillane (prosecutor) would agree to proceed in a case so full of nonsense. Why he didn't go back and tell the DPP/ Gardai that they are off their rocker to introduce the charge that GH was one of the five gunmen when you have already charged him with murder by having simply organising the plot- a scenario far more believable with the evidence on offer (though in saying that I still don't think there was quite enough to fairly convict on that- no wiretap confession, no witness stating they received direct orders, no electronic paper trail from phones linked to GH, and so forth)

This isn't America, we dont have a permanent DA's, our big name briefs jump between the position of prosecutor and defence brief depending on who needs them next (bar in the rare cases like GH where he was forced to pay out of his own fortune) so it's not like it's his job to do these things regardless. Yes, Gillane gets paid at the end of the day, but he surely knew how flimsy the case was, you would think there would be such a thing as professional pride come into it?

One thing I did always wonder, none of the media passed much comment on the physical reaction of the defence team once Not Guilty was read out. Grehan seems a bit of a character from some of the back and forths he had with Dowdall- when the verdict was read was he all Johnnie Cochoran at the OJ trial with the quiet YES celebration and the back slapping having just secured arguably the most substantial acquittal since Haughey and the Arms trial?

Or was he cool as you like and fully expected it. The evidence might have been nonsense but few men go up against the SCC and emerge a free man either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

GH is a highly intelligent guy. Leave a trail to JD, JD gets caught and then "turns". JD gets on the witness stand and makes sure GH gets off (great work btw). JD goes into witsec for a while but then comes back because he "can't handle it". Organizes a "deal" to keep himself and family safe. Underestimate GH at your own peril. The chap made a show of the guards here in my humble opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if he knew the car was bugged.

JD and GH were in cahoots?

Yeah. JD, an already very successful man (I hesitate to say rich, as from the sounds of things despite a great income he was spending and thus likely borrowing ludicrous amounts of money on cars, bikes, fish tanks) agreed to throw away his business, and do up to 3 years in prison or whatever he copped in late 2022, all as part of a long scheme to get GH acquitted so that he can come back home in 2030 or so.

Would you get up the yard. Really like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭40supple

Stop you’re embarrassing yourself with this conspiracy theory FFS, it’s not a Hollywood movie

The man is a dirty rat, it came out in the case, the very first time he had any dealings with the Gaurds post Regency was when he was stopped in Dublin Airport. He asked the cop for a deal at that point for Christ sake

He wanted to play with the big boys and craped his pants as soon as it got heavy looking at big jail

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Noseygit

Dowdalls life is fucked. He was a wreck during the court case. He had aged about 10 years with no future. He's hiding away for the next 10 years afraid of what might await him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How long was gerry banged up for awaiting trial?

Its a small win i suppose. The least he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tallafella

Never mind the chances of being charged if some scumbag kills themselves, flame grilled whopper style, while you are in pursuit of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭40supple

Why, for allegedly pull a stroke nearly 30 years ago in which no one was injured and the money was insured?

Go one, tell us exactly WHY GH deserves to be imprisoned?

you’re talking pony as per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

We don't know what happened in between those two happenings. Did they manage to infiltrate GSOC? The former investigator who was at the Hutch party was the head of an investigation into the death of Detective Supt Colm Fox, who was the lead investigator into the murder of David Byrne at the Regency Hotel in Dublin. He also had access to the Regency files. The investigator, last I heard, was allowed to leave Ireland. He had a heap of experience in a police force in another country... and... was hired over Zoom...

Just doesn't seem right...

Then there was the former superintendent John Murphy who was investigated on suspicion of aiding the Hutch gang. He was arrested in Midlands Prison, where he is serving a six-and-a-half-year sentence for possessing cannabis. Four other serving gardaí suspected of passing information to Murphy were suspended from the force in 2021.

I'd buy GH is highly intelligent. Not the rest. Don't forget JD said that GH was terrorizing his mother and kids with death threats.

Hutch has a working relationship with the IRA going back to the 1990s. You don't pull that off without being very savvy, fearless, and absolutely ruthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yes, its seriously questionable as to how the DPP agreed to charges based on the evidence they had at the time. Equally, it's bizarre he was not charged in connection to handling or facilitating the exchange of those 'three yokes'. They had a much stronger chance of conviction there.

JD is manifestly a liar so it doesn’t follow that the claims of death threats were true. If they were true the trial judge accepted that there was a Hutch OCG. The Hutch OCG was said not to be hierarchical so any threats may not have been made on the instructions of a ‘ Mr Big’.

There was some explanation after the trial on why Hutch was charged/ not charged with certain offences. As per an earlier post it’s all more than 9 months ago but the charges not followed through with were said, by some media after trial, to be due to not wanting to disclose some of the surveillance process ?

No sorry too convoluted. There’s on the basis of the trial findings a OCG. You know someone the OCG has a link to has a bugged car. Whilst you don’t want to drive around with one of your nephews or JG- if there’s a bugged car you don’t go in it. He if needed could have found someone else low profile. He didn’t know.

• Advertisement

There is no Hutch OCG. There were several nephews of GH involved in serious organised crime but, prior to the years leading up to this trial, no journalist or Garda to my knowledge ever made an allegation that GH was actively involved in criminality after, at the very latest, the turn of the millennium, but likely the day after the Clonshaugh robbery.

The guard making these claims about a Hutch OCG should have been forced to produce files showing this thing existed throughout the 2000s/2010s as they claimed.

Report in the indo yesterday about how of our 4800 prison inmates, 180 are considered as members of organised crime gangs and are classed into 19 gangs.

Given there would be more than 19 crews in Dublin alone I presume a few gangs are rolled into one in the prison system for ease of keeping certain people seperated.

What would they have in terms of keeping folk seperated:

• Hutch associates
    • "Kinahans" (incorporates the Byrne associates and probably anybody non Rattigan aligned from the Dublin 8/ SIC general area, Rice's Tallaght mob, Westies remnants in Blanch aligned to the likes of Boylan and JOC, Flashy mob (who themselves are alleged to have split down the middle)
    • Monkey gang
    • Hennesseys, to be kept away from all of the above bar the Hutches (though the Hutches are kept away from everyone given there would still be money out for them
    • Rattigan loyalists
    • "Big" crew associates
    • Keanes
    • Ryans
    • Dundon McCarthy
    • Two rival mobs from Drogheda/ North Co Dublin
    • Two rival factions at war in Tallaght right now
    • Grendons "The Family" and associates in SW Dublin, though I'm not sure they're particularly at war with anyone bar a few threats to the Hennessys

I think there's 3 or 4 mobs in and around Cork City but they have never been at war with each other and seem better at avoiding all the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Every single one of them are pathological liars.

A state witness’s family being threatened by the gang boss he is giving evidence against is like cheese and crackers. They go together.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

What's the latest on Hennessy Snr?papers saying he took a turn and it's not looking good

The Court in April, 2023 accepted there was a Hutch OCG. It was said to be ‘galvanised’ in 2015/6 after murder of Gary Hutch and Regency. It is said to be involved in cigarette smuggling, sale of Benzos and theft/ high jacking at ports. The OCG is described as fluid. Multiple media reports say that Gerry Hutch in all likelihood came back to Ireland after the Regency to try and crisis manage. Other members of Hutch OCG were more immediately involved in Regency before and during. The regency was done by a OCG. You can debate how long they were around and what they did otherwise but it’s an OCG. All of that doesn’t contradict the fact that Gerry Hutch may have been ‘retired’ for 15 years.

Post edited by Spencer101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yes it's a while ago now since this was in the news. Not revealing the surveillance process as justification is difficult for me to understand seeing they had to reveal this in the book of evidence and in trial.

Also, remember the lost tracker evidence in the PC thrown out or wiped, that was then found over a weekend.

How can evidence gathered from an authorised surveillance operation be so close to getting lost like this? Yet as proved in other murder trials, tracking data can be key to conviction (O'Reilly, Dwyer etc.)

If you are not from the you only deserve to be in prison if convicted camp…Gerry Hutch is linked to 2/3 murders from 1980s/1990s

Post edited by Spencer101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think a simpler explanation is that it's not usually policy under the Irish legal system to throw multiple different charges at people in addition to a murder charge. The lesser charges usually get dropped so that both sides can concentrate on the most serious charge.

I think on balance this is a fair way to do it. America tends to do the opposite, throwing possession of weapons, drug offences, money laundering, wire fraud and a myriad of other charges into a murder trial. This puts the defence unfairly on the backfoot as 95% of the defence effort is naturally put into the most serious charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its something i suppose. Not a pleasent guy. I wont go into it but he didnt play the laws of the land. Delighted that he got a stretch even considering he was found innocent. Karma if you like.

Some on here can put him on a pedestal all they want. Pony talk of the highest regard.

Advertisement