Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 NFL regular season thread (no picks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm gutted and very unhappy with the officiating on the night. Dallas offensive line got away with holding on quite a few occasions, I counted seven times. Pass interference not called on a very blatant one on Amon-Ra St. Brown.

So the Lions, despite no pi call, come back and score a TD to get within a point and Dan Campbell goes for the win. Ball caught, flag thrown very late, after the play, for an ineligible receiver. The Lions adamant that he reported but the call obviously not changed. They go for it again and don't convert so the Cowboys win by a point.

I don't believe he didn't report, you practice that play reporting every time, he'd have been told going on the field to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Great last quarter, much fun.

Here's one for you - should Goff have noticed that there was no pre-snap officiating call of 'number xyz has reported as eligible'? And if so what could he do? Obv can't spike, and not enough time to get the fg unit on, so signal a late change of play maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Jerry hates that Jimmy got more of the credit for the superbowl wins.

#68 went up to the ref. The ref was gone by the time #70, who the refs said declared eligible, got there. Have to imagine the ref was only half paying attention and messed up the number. It should be possible to put in a procedure to stop this happening and a black spot on the nfl that more has not been done in terms of officiating.

The issue I have is that I believed theres no way the player didn't report.

You never hear Goff make excuses and you rarely here a player saying he reported when he didn't. This is what they said after the game

"I do know that Decker reported."

That is a postgame quote from Lions quarterback and former Cal star Jared Goff.

Taylor Decker later said the same thing, that he reported. "Went to the ref, said, 'Report,'" Decker said.

The whole thing stinks, ball was caught, Decker was starting to celebrate when the flag was thrown.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It would have been illegal formation anyway, so they were getting a 5 yard penalty in any case.

More Mike McCarthy clock management issues, running the ball 3 times while trying to burn clock, gave the lions an extra 40 seconds for that last drive.

• Advertisement

How would it have been illegal formation? And there was no flag thrown for that. As I said the only flag was for ineligible receiver well after the play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It was explained at the end of the broadcast,

"ESPN rules analyst John Parry said on ESPN after the game two players can report as eligible, though during the game, he explained that Decker also lined up uncovered, which would have been a penalty even if he had reported in as eligible."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's not an illegal formation if 68 reported eligible. It's an incredible **** up by the ref, Allen. Possibly the worst mistake I've seen since the refs denied Harry's TD against the Chiefs a few years ago. The video evidence is incontrovertible, the ref looks directly at 68 and nods his head, never speaks to 70. Campbell walked the ref through this play in detail before the game, specifically to ensure there was no misunderstanding. Allen is a bare faced liar, and should be fired immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

More incompetence. Read somewhere that the reffing crew are to be punished by not getting any playoff games now. Too right, wouldn't want a playoff outcome to be decided like last night was anyway.

This Ravens vs. Dolphins game setting up to be a humdinger.

• Advertisement

4th and 7 on the 35 yard line is crazy enough but to score a TD???? haha

And you have Justin Tucker on the sideline...

Beautiful madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Drifting towards Bills @ Dolphins in week 18 for the division.

Didn’t see that coming a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Eagles season going off the rails

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Eagles and Dolphins are frauds with their young hip coaches.

Eagles reached the Superbowl last year so no fraud there.

Dolphins haven't beaten a team with a winning record to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

David Tepper has a hissy fit and throws his drink at a Jags fan.

Absolute child. You can see why Panthers have been so horrific with him as the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Happy new year. The eagles played last night and were **** terrible.

Saturday is Steelers/Ravens followed by Texans/Colts. Maintaining the recent trend of the ESPN Week18 double-header being one very decent game preceded by at-best marginal game.

Sunday night game is, completely unsurprisingly, Bills/Dolphins.

Decent split in the other 13 games, no-one looks to be unfairly disadvantaged this year.

NFL announces Week 18 schedule for 2023 season with Bills-Dolphins on 'Sunday Night Football' (US times, add 5 hours for us).

First time I can recall the 9pm slot having more games than the 6pm slot, 7 games to 6.

Texans v Colts should be a great game with two pretty high octane offenses. It's for a playoff place too and potentially the division if the Titans manage to beat the Jags.

They try to keep divisional games on at the same time on the final day. Bills v Dolphins can be on at a separate time because it doesn't affect divisional rankings as the Patriots will be last and the Jets third.

The only one that surprises me is the Bengals v Browns in the late window

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Refs mistake on Dallas game was bad Campbells ego got the better of him trying to keep on gettin 2 pointer to win, just take the point and go to overtime, i may of had a bet on Detroit lol, so i was mad !

Increasingly looking like Niners v Ravens but who knows, iam a little scared of the Rams, they still got talent and look good at times

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

While I'm open to being corrected since the overtime rules changed, the 2 point conversion is seen as the better choice than going to overtime and the only reason it is generally eschewed is because of emotional reasons. 2 point conversion success rates are about 50% - there is no reason to think overtime is a better bet.

Yeah and you have control over what happens. The coin toss is a matter of pure fluke and then you have to complete a full drive just to get into a position to maybe get an opportunity for a goal line attempt at a TD. Which is what you already have with the 2 pointer

Well you really have to do stats on it.

What's your succes rate, what's the defenses success rate, what's happened on drives.

It's not just a 50/50 thing. I don't know who does the analytics or whatever it's called but in many games it's flawed.

They had it as a go for it in one game a couple of weeks ago where the pat gave a three score lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yea, regular season, it probably makes sense because there is a massive advantage to team that wins coin toss, I just thought that you should probably settle for OT after the refs messed up then you are pushed back after flag, seemed like it wasn’t meant to be but I do get it also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

After the mess up and the penalty on the Lions, I dont think there was any analytic sources making the argument that it was a good move to try again for 2. I don't think there was even one after the Cowboys penalty brought them a bit closer. Campbell lost the head.

I'm very pro coaches being aggressive but even going for such a convoluted misdirection play in the original moment stinks a bit of thinking they were smarter than everyone else. By all means do it during the game but with it on the line there is no room for error, by your own team but also the refs, opposition etc.

• Advertisement

They got the two point conversion and it should have stood.

Saying in hindsight that it was a bad decision is just after timing. If it was rightly called a two point conversion you wouldn't be on here criticising the decision.

There's no real difference between going for that and looking to win a toss in overtime.

Advertisement