Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

It will be “a number of years” before 40,000 new homes per annum can be delivered, according to Tánaiste Micheál Martin. [1]

"Two separate pieces of research into required housing targets are currently being conducted by the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) and the Housing Commission. Both pieces of research are expected to recommend the state needs at least 50,000 new homes a year, significantly more than the 31,000 expected to be built this year."

Not good news on the housing completions front from this government, things are only going to get worse for years to come apparently. It can only really be called gross incompetence at this stage, years into the housing crisis.

[1]https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/12/30/tanaiste-micheal-martin-says-it-will-be-number-of-years-before-40000-homes-per-year-built/

[2]https://www.businesspost.ie/news/esri-we-need-to-build-50000-homes-per-year-to-meet-demand/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...ah shur commentators such as ronan lyons have been mentioning those type of figures for years now, and since the last crash to, so theyve had enough information for long enough now, and have simply ignored it, theyre screwed now, but the reality is, no one actually knows what to do about this now, we ve hit a capacity limit, this will take years to resolve, well into next decade anyway.....

...this is a monumental ideological failure, and our main government parties are not willing to accept this reality, so we re now gonna do what many other countries are currently in the process of doing, by turning to more extremes to force change, and it wont end well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

While I’m still stone cold sober May I take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy 2024.

We have our differences but let us celebrate in unison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

No offence meant to anyone, but this is the very reason I won’t be voting SF:

While a United Ireland is a dream, it seems it’s their main aim. Sorry but for me we have far more pressing problems - housing law & order spring to mind.

• Advertisement

a united ireland has always been their main aim, so nothing new there, wont happen anytime soon, so nothing to worry about, im still not even convinced there will be a sf government here, id love to know how theyre gonna form a government with ff!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I've said before, ask most people if they'd support the idea of a UI in principle and they'll say "sure! of course!"

Then ask them if they'll be willing to pay higher taxes to pay for it, and deal with the inevitable security issues that would arise, or the further dilution of Dail representation that would result by adding more TDs from the North and it'll be a very different story!

Plus, why would anyone in NI want to subject themselves to the mess that is the HSE, housing and political goverance in general? EU membership is the obvious one but that's not without serious drawbacks either.

The best solution really is NI becomes an independent state that can apply for EU membership if they wish and retains the benefits of close UK/IE ties.

I mean, when you have Leo coming out with this...

.. A man who has fallen asleep on the job (literally) and whose party has minimal electoral support (only 7% of those who bothered to turn out last time, and less since) being suggested as Taoiseach??? Really??

Of course the idea that the current coalition will be returned is probably as much of a fantasy as a UI anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sinn Fein are all noise, they have no plan for a United Ireland and at the moment they are the one main barrier in the North. Like they got control in the North and instead of trying to work with the other parties they pull tricks like opening speech in Irish just to antagonise everyone.

If we want a United Ireland it is years away and the only way it will be achieved will be like the cross border projects we have now

The polls also say people want a United Ireland once we have no additional taxes which is impossible. We would end up with mass unemployment and a huge tax burden on the Republic of Ireland tax payers for the North

Sinn Fein of course won't talk about any of this.

They won't be forming a government with FF, I can't see either FF or FG joining them. Neither wil the Green party.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

McEntee got absolutely mauled on Callans Kicks. Genius stuff. I am surprised FFG let it air!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yes because the government is going around blocking comedian on radio.

That's more up the road of the opposition and blocking the media isn't it.

I do think it is lovely on New Years Day this is what is ben classed as a political discussion. I'm sure the government will be more than happy to think the only media story worth discussing at the moment is Mary Lou and her 300k house nonsense and well.......oh Callens Kicks done a funny bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

We live not on cement alone. There are a myriad of things that could be levied or taxed other than cement. Putting the levy on cement will have the effect of inflating the price of new properties without upsetting anyone other than people who buy houses built after 2023 and it has the effect of generally keeping house prices elevated, which is something the government wants.

If however, existing houses were taxed to pay the cement levy, that would put downward pressure on house prices generally and not inflate the cost of post 2023 houses. But the government does not want house prices to fall.

The government says the cement levy is justified because the industry was at fault. So was justice the governments motive, when it applied the levy to cement? I doubt it. They were looking at the effect it would have of house prices generally. If justice was the governments motive, then they could have levied labour because the Gardaí were cheating when they doing the millions of fake breathilizer tests. The Gardaí are part of the labour force, they cheated instead of giving value for money, therefore all labour should be levied. Would that be just?

Not according to me. According to the government. I would have put the levy on existing housing stock, which would have a deflationary effect on house prices generally without inflating the cost of new houses. But the government desperately want house prices to stay high. Hence the cement levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

At least name it right as cement is just one product affected: Defective Concrete Products Levy or concrete levy for short.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wonder where the media are getting a November date for an election from, it wouldn't surprise me though if it happened because they have to call an election by Feb 2025 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

This March, the Irish people will go to the polls for the first time since Jan 2020. The Referendums, then the Locals/Europeans in June.

They already know it's going to be a blood bath...the Government will not want to hang about soon after the summer elections, as doing so would allow for a greater period for opposition parties/candidates to organize, so it's be called after the Budget....that is the thinking!

Pay no attention to the polls, there is no way this current Government will perform the same as Jan 2020 (which was a disaster for both Fg & FF), I don't even think Sinn Fein will, they have alienated their own support base. I can see Leo losing his seat.

The media will of course pretend that the far right are to be feared every chance they get, as we can see even on boards, less and less people are being fooled by that tactic...we are in for a turbulent decade in my view, similar to what we have witnessed in other countries, but it is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The talk is they want to get another 'giveaway budget' in before the election. But IMO if you're going to do that you may as well let the government run its full term as people need a few months after such a budget to really feel is benefits...

Insurance has a levy to cover the insurance issues.

Why not cement when the issue was in the building trade?

What has the Gardai got to do with houses and the cement levy?

You don't think you are getting "value for money" from the Gardai? so you want to tax "labour"? what labour?

I think you are right. A giveaway budget and a late Autumn canvas might work best. February is never a great time for the government to have an election but their hand was forced the last time by Maria Bailey and the vote of No confidence. I think the government will get slaughtered, especially on transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not really seeing much difference between November and February as far as electoral conditions go. Both Ryan and Martin apparently favour going the full term and bookies are giving slight odds on for a 2035 election so i reckon that’s what we’ll get

The thought process is that campaigning in January is pretty miserable, and governments in theory suffer from the population in general being in a more negative mood in Jan/Feb.

The alternative is to have a late September budget, Oct/Nov campaigh season, and mid/late-November election.

If the give-away budget measures are dated to begin in October (instead of January) there'll still be a month+ for people to feel them in their pockets, and for them to be very recent in voters minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'll probably vote SF as I believe we need a shift to the left on housing and they'll take us somewhere in that direction.

My preference would be Social Democrat but the candidate they put out in my constituency was very weak last time round.

The state returning to actually building housing in large numbers. Instead of the disastrous policies we've had for the last decade of minimal state building, and billions of tax payer euros wasted on HAP and leasing of private sector housing units for social housing.

Which as discussed on the other thread about housing would cripple Ireland and housing.

?

The Irish state has built hundreds of thousands of houses in the past. Theres absolutely nothing stopping it from re-engaging in building tens of thousands more, this wouldn't do anything like "cripple Ireland and housing".

If the state doesn't get more involved we're going to continue to build far fewer homes per year than are required, as the figures I posted on this very page show. We're building 20,000+ too few homes per year by the ESRI and Housing Commission's own (neutral, non politically biased) reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

SF are deluded if they think this is possible "McDonald said her party will focus on electing enough Sinn Féin TDs to form a government without Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil". Combine their notions of that with their similarly ridiculous notions about a UI, and their uncosted housing proposals and enough people will see through them to not allow them in.

I suspect we will see a return of FF+FG along with a better third member, perhaps SD and/or Labor, depending on seats. I really don't see a reason not to return FFG to power when the alternative soundbite junkies have given nothing but pie in the sky proposals and dreams without foundations on UI. They (SF) have alienated a lot of their fanbase too with their position(s) on immigration. You can't play both sides of an argument, and there's a reason most nationalist parties are right wing - instead of left like SF - as left wing views don't tie well with pro national views.

• Advertisement

They have got away with picking no sides for years now. Look at the carbon tax when Sinn Fein supporters went around saying Sinn fein would remove it, Sinn Fein don't and never had plans to remove it. Just delay it. Yet they never came out and said that, got away with it as well

On immigration they have finally come up against one that they have to pick a position and suddenly they are in trouble because some of the not so obsessed Sinn Fein supporters are now looking at the rest of their policies.

Like all the people onlin complaining about the Green party and using wind to generate power suddenly read that Sinn Fein don't have an alternative and their plan is to actually speed up the building of wind farms with the magic money tree they have

Advertisement