Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"So the only question is whether you think being a higher level of narcissist is a good or bad thing, or possibly irrelevant"

Well, it's obvious.

If it's a democrat, it's an awful personality flaw which is dangerous in someone who wields so much power.

If it's Trump.. *shrugs nonchalantly*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The problem is, there IS a great issue of a democratic deficit and broad corporate interests ruling much of American politics. Clearly the country needs reform, both electoral and cultural.

But.

Donald Trump is a dangerous and impulsive force of nature whose impatience and incompetence is the only reason 2016+ didn't turn into an outright authoritarian disaster. The supposed Checks and Boundaries that keep that in check broadly flimsy enough that something like the Unitary Executive Theory could conceivably degrade these checks to nothing with the right application of ideological malice. MAGA knows this, and is biding its time. Project 2025 is the blueprint, the intent is not subtle anymore. "Both Sides" either myopia, moral absolutism or wilful ignorance.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

As much as I don't want to admit it, I think we owe a debt of gratitude to Ivanka Trump. Not for any moral quality she possesses, but she's nothing as far as political thought goes, yet she had her dad's ear during his term of office. While that may have been bad enough, it was infinitely better than allowing Bannon full control, because he had actual cunning, ambition and a plan. In fact, I'm surprised that Bannon didn't try to get back on board now that Ivanka and Jared are out of the picture (or Javanka, as Bannon called them), but maybe that's because Stephen Miller is now pulling the strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Only a very disturbed mind or a troll could ever compare Obama and Trump. Take from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

"Only a very disturbed mind or a troll"

Good bit of research and evidence showing that the latter have the former.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I kind of feel the language barrier somewhat helps Melania become the perfect MAGA First Lady.

Her poor English and accent cloak any sense of her being an intelligent person, which for them is ideal. I suspect the dream life of a typical MAGA Hillbilly includes having an attractive dimwit for a wife who will perform her marital duties, does not offer debate and will happily *sit over there* with the other women, while the men-folk discuss important God-fearing issues.

But those devil-ish Dems just keep insisting on educating their women. Mercy be!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm not sure "would rather not be in the same city never mind the same bed" counts as fulfilling marital duties. Though she must have done it at least once I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If Trump manages to stay on the ballot I think he will win. However I think its less than a 50/50 chance he will. I actually think there is a good chance the US Supreme Court will rule against him.

There is a majority of traditional constitutional interpretation justices now on the bench. They will probably have the deciding voice in the SC for the next 20 years. However for there legacy to be historically sound they may well decide that Trump is a supporter of insurrection which bars him from office. If they do that there interpretation of the US constitution cannot be historically challenged

What happens if they bar him more than likely Nicki Haley goes on as the GOP candidate. I would expect she would beat Biden and I think that would be in the thinking of US Supreme Court conservative jurists as well, she would have every bit as good a chance of winning as Trump would have and the conservative SC jurists would cement there beliefs as well as probably guaranteeing control of the SC for a significant amount of time

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh I didn’t mean the tragic / hilarious reality of Trump’s sham marriage, just the fiction that Melania even likes him that I feel the MAGA cult might latch onto.

I strongly doubt post-80’s Trump could land a willing partner in that arena without some financial incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

If what you are laying out comes to pass, the USA will go into a period of political turmoil that will be totally unprecedented in our lifetimes. I don't say that to mean I don't think Trump should be barred, but if you thought series 1-3 of "America" were wild, series 4 is going to totally blow your socks off.

For starters, Trump would not go into retirement and we'd be left with the bizarre scenario that the Republican party was controlled by a blacklisted politician who its remaining candidates would have to claim loyalty to. If Nikki Haley were to get the nod, she would have to essentially promise to act as a proxy president, acting under precise instruction from Trump, and to pull every single string it is possible to pull to get Trump out of all the legal bother he's in. Because the party is in such thrall to Trump and his ideology, having someone else run in his stead is only a marginal upgrade. It might be better for Trump to step aside for someone more electable and get the pardons from them, but that's a side point.

The even bigger worry is the idea of Trump not being allowed to run resulting in widespread disorder, with threats made toward public officials being made good on. That has to be dealt with in a way that does not further inflame the situation. And what would deep red states do? Political pressure would be huge, there, not to play ball, and happens then?

Again, it's not that barring Trump wouldn't be justified, but there must be plans in place to deal with the utter shitttstorm that'll follow, and not allow things to inadvertently play into Trump's hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I could live with NH getting the job. I know she's a neo-con, but at least it would be the rule of law. The Trump backers have proved they're mostly hot air. She'd eventually, once in office, have to face them down. Get those in Congress to fall into line behind her. It would be a handy escape route for many of them.

She didn't spend new years eve with him. There is no fiction that she likes him to hang on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Thread title should be changed , alot of toxic mindsets against Trump , with zero discussion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What discussion would you prefer about a candidate tethered to, and boldly talking of, eroding checks and boundaries in American democracy? If anything Trumps rhetoric has only got more aggressive, more confrontational and more directed towards a 2nd term as "revenge" since Jan 6th. It's hard to discuss when the subject behaves as he's often described.

You say "toxic" but what's the other angle here - and don't say "Trump derangement syndrome" because that's reductive and idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

No wonder there is zero discussion as IT IS HARD TO KNOW WHERE TO START?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well, come on then, give us something to discuss. Some actual policies that he is offering so we can discuss the merits of his ideas.

We have been waiting and asking for nearly 29 thousand posts, especially in more recent years, for something to demonstrate that he is more than a cult leader for the terminally deluded, better than a person filled with hate and need for revenge against anyone who disagrees with him, and a potential king figure who not only admires dictators but would very much like to be a dictator himself.

Tell us why we should respect and support someone who approves of the sentiments expressed here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is your basis for that? She has said that she supports Trump and would continue supporting him even if he gets a conviction. She has nothing to say about his recent finding of raping Jean Carroll, has had nothing to say about him stealing classified documents, and then refusing to return them. She has had nothing to say about his involvement in Jan 6th or little to say about Jan 6th.

Once in office? And yes the idea that people will openly lie to get into office but then suddenly grow a backbone. This of course is giving them the huge benefit of the doubt, and takes no account of their desire to win a second term, or indeed to enjoy a legacy or to get anything done while in office and turning against the party that helped you get elected is not going to make them continue to support them.

Believe people when they tell you who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The fact that he himself posted that word cloud detailing what people thought he wants from another term as President and thinks it tells a good story is telling.

Where the biggest words are "Revenge" and "Power" followed closely by "Dictatorship" and "Nothing".

Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Melania was visiting her gravely ill mother in hospital last night, thats what relatives do.

Nothing is below the belt though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So what you're saying is that while his wife's mother is at deaths door, he continues to host sh!t parties and "political"rallies to grift money instead of being by his wife's side supporting her at this difficult time??.

Nothing is too low indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Coming from the mouth of trump.

As already asked, why was he at a party instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No I didnt say that at all, dont try to put words in my mouth.

You are confusing gravely ill and terminally ill for one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But that is what Trump did. Rather than spend time supporting his wife through what is a very difficult time he went to a party.

Just another example of everything being about him. He couldn't even pause for one night to support his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Haley is not seriously trying for president. This is just to increase her profile for a vice spot.

No one except a white male can win the Republican nomination and others are there just there for vice president or other positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ah yes. I'll enough to force her daughter there but not be helped by her husband supporting her.

They have pretty obviously not been a close couple. I mean he cheated on her when she was pregnant. Hardly the hallmark of a healthy relationship. As ever you seem honour bound to try and find excuses to deny reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

standing on a ticket of revenge and you know that’s exactly what he will do. It will be 4 years of revenge and dragging American politics through the **** so he can have his revenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Is Donald Trump not one of her relatives? Why wasn't he visiting with his wife? He could've put a video message up for the party and been at Melania's side...

Of course, there's a lot less admiration to be gained that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement