Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,962 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I will say it again, you have a very peculiar exceptionalism at play here.

You routinely present things SF do or don't do as unique to them. That is where you display a lack of knowledge.

We have seen No Confidence votes used since the birth of the state, we have seen all parties make mistakes, fail to achieve their aims, put the state in extreme peril, etc etc.

As I said you need to balance things.

I laid out what I think of SF, they have been an effective opposition, constantly calling the coalition to account - that is the job of an opposition by the way.

I am sure if FF and FG had grown their support in the polls to the extent SF have, you and others would be claiming they must be doing something right. But no, the consensus seems to be there is something wrong with the electorate, they are being fooled by old men with white beards in the Hills of Antrim etc etc Never gets old tbh.

The arrogance of being in power too long IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Again you go off talking about other parties. Deflect deflect deflect. Standard Sinn Fein nonsense.

I asked if you had anything coherent on Sinn Fein, it would seem you don't.

I think they have been a very effective opposition - holding the government to account. The JOB and duty of an opposition. The vitriol that emanates from FF and FG about this is evidence enough that they are doing their jobs.

I have stated this in 3 posts now but you claim I am deflecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm just pointing out, that

A) the motion left the government in a better position which is a complete misstep by SF.

B) Realpolitik means other parties will call at least as many motions against them and they can only blame themselves for it.

C) It also shows them as untrustworthy to go into government with as they abuse the procedures (and it is abuse francie, nothing against the rules, but abuse all the same, Ireland hasn't needed laws about repeated confidence votes, they may need them if SF continues this behavior, just as laws are needed for their repeated SLAPPS which you also blindly defend).

This is just more of the arrogance.

A political ideology that cannot abide being called to account.

IMO This is a part of the change that has been brought to Irish politics. Proper accountability.

Anyone with their eyes open, knows that TD's had to be whipped to support the government and that 63 deputies voted against the government. If that's a win for the government, they must be really desperate for one.

The hollow (at this stage) bleating about this just being about SF is tiresome at this stage.

Re: SLAPPS, what i have said is that everyone has a right to defend their name. EVERYONE.

• Advertisement

When it's the opposition calling for more confidence votes than ever, losing them and leaving the government in a better position than it was before the vote, it's not arrogance.

However, if deflecting to "arrogance" and "power swap" is all you have left at this point, you've really lost it.

Jesus

Go do some reading on why Confidence votes are called. They are not just about winning.

The Minister is now in last chance territory, a dead minister walking as it is called.

There is also no set amount of them laid down for a reason...this is a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Field east

““They have not gone along with the cosy power swop sham ———-“ ‘. I thought that we had ‘killed’ that SWOP strategy in that it was the voters that desired after every election who gets into power. So, as you pointed out SF/Ml spotted this sham a mile away and would not touch the idea or shall we say that if it did get into power it would hold onto it forever so as to avoid this swapping sham.

and , God forbid, if the voters decided that at some election in the future they wanted a ‘CHANGE’ from a tired old Single party/SF government and put in another government, what would you suggest SF do if it got back in again In order to avoid this SWOP strategy. Looking forward to your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The government only win the confidence votes because people of no principle who don't believe in accountability but only in their careers vote with the government. For instance Helen McEntee is clearly not up to the job of MoJ. That's plain to see even in FF/FG.

By having a confidence motion it exposes the shysters in FF/FG and, quite frankly, they end up coming out worse for supporting an incompetent.

• Advertisement

I think you may have finally got it.

Will SF coalesce with party's they said they never would, to stay in power?

Will they put somebody in charge of finance they think has the calibre of a sacked and disgraced CEO to stay in power?

If they do, then they deserve to lose power and I'll be the first to remove my vote.

Yes you are deflecting, again posting about the other parties instead og giving examples of how Sinn Fein have been the best opposition.

Show us examples of how they are the best opposition? maybe, just maybe without some rant about other parties in government.

The 3 others posts like most are just nonsense.

Well, this is a no brainer I would have thought.

For holding the government to account repeatedly.

I fully believe there had to be a debate and vote about the MoJ's competency and that of all the others.

As others have pointed out, you may think it has not worked but for many it has and exposed those who will make career choices when it comes down to it or help to circle the wagons when they were previously critical.

I also think they have done great work in the various Dáil committees questioning and scrutinising government and semi state bodies and the likes of RTE. Other members of the opposition have also excelled in their duty as an opposition too.

The repeated ranting about anyone daring to hold the power swap parties to account is heartening, it is clearly working and politics is changing.

Proper accountability is what we want, whosoever is in power.

So it's a no brainer and then the next statement is "I fully believe". So in other words its a no brainer to a person who spends all day and night defending Sinn Fein.

I am not ranting, I asked you a question and you continued to dodge the question rambling on about the government. "Power swap parties" grow up for once and quit with the SInn Fein propaganda magazine.

You don't want accountability, once it comes to Sinn Fein you want it covered up and move on. Like every post on boards when you are asked about Sinn Fein you start waffling about other parties.

You have yet to show a single piece of evidence to support the notion Sinn Fein have been the best opposition. It's another abject failure from a incompetent party. From top to bottom. As many have posted the online supporters have managed to drive supporters away with the gibberish they post daily across all forums. Total disgrace that Sinn Fein have done nothing about the people they even call themselves "pig ignorant"

Im sure you will respond with some waffle about "power swap" or "partitionist" or whatever term you got from the Sinn Fein run book. Couldn't care less. Incompetence is the word for Sinn Fein.

Remember, couldn't even release an alternative budget without mistakes. INCOMPETENCE.

What evidence do you want?

Aren't you giving out about them seeking accountability?

Your opinion is they are wrong to take no confidence motions, or to challenge government. My opinion is that it is the duty and job of the opposition to do just that.

I never said they were the 'best' opposition either.

And the fact again is, rather than drive people away they have of the main parties, attracted support since the GE while the government parties haven't.

Tough to accept but there you have it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Same old broken record.... as you clearly state yourself, you don't know who the next election and therefore your opinion on state of the 3 governing parties is just that and not a fact even if you do put it in bold.

I asked you a question, yet to get an answer. Just more nonsense. I asked posts ago if you had anything coherent to add, you just admitted you don't.

Why would it be "Tough to accept" ?

What exactly is tough to accept? People are just sick of the abuse online from Sinn Fein supporters.

It's time the political party you spend so long defending shut down the "ignorant pigs" they have online for them.

It would be tough to accept if I was a Sinn fein supporter and I was been associated with these assh**es online.

But they aren’t Clo, that comment ‘people are just sick of SF’ doesn’t stand up to scrutiny nor does the data support it.

I would contend the data supports the idea that there are parties people are sicker off. If you want the opinion polls I can post them here but I shouldn’t have to.

Not sure you understood. One thing is a guess/opinion- the outcome of the next election. The other is a fact - of the 4, SF FF FG and the Grs, only one has grown its support since the GE.

The minister whose popularity went up after the vote? That minister? Even if we go beyond the short-termism of the procedure abuses, the vote was lost badly and shored up the government, there was 0 positives for SF in the vote.

• Advertisement

This is normal in a democracy where the government parties agree to see out the parliamentary terms, the purpose of such votes is usually to force people to abstain or make it close enough that the government goes to election, if called too often (as is the case here) it stymies the work of the government and makes the opposition look weak if they aren't getting close votes and can be blamed for delaying legislation.

SF are attempting to stay as quiet as possible until the GE comes up lest their policies are shown up (as has been happening a lot recently). We've already seen them abandon their leftist base (that they picked up from Labour), the question is how they can keep moving towards FF policies in a way that doesn't overly frighten their base and then form a coalition with them (with the sole purpose of having a unity vote on Ireland).

49% think the Minister shoukd go. Enjoy whatever security you can enjoy from that.

Incremental damage, study it.

It’s politics but in the real world, like many in FG FF and the Greens I think this minister is out of rope.

Gavin Reilly mapped out the road ahead for the government, they have to hope they can maintain 2020 numbers ahead of a year of challenges, local and EU elections and a referendum. We’ll see what happens soon enough

SF need to stay quiet because once anyone puts them into an interview it all falls apart.

But even at that, they can't even release an alternative budget without errors. So hard not to fall flat on their face when they can't even proof read a document.

I suppose we will revert to Pearse shouting and roaring about every topic and Mary Lou doing Dear Deirdre in the Dail from imaginary letters she is getting. Sorry that's what we have had since 2020.

"Best opposition ever" :-) deluded they are.

"Best opposition ever" :

Who are you quoting there Clo or is this a fabricated quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Field east

That’s a very, very neat response, Francis. Must think of that as a reply which I can use when I feel like not discussing an issue that someone is challenging me on

Voters re surveys between elections sway over and back as well as the only definitive result as to who is in gov is decided ONLY at election time. So you might park your shopping/ arrogance/ complacency thoughts until then

Sorry, but even in the cold light of a New Year this makes zero sense to me. 'Shopping'?

And I haven't made any claims about the outcome of the next GE, I refer to what happened here since Independence as a swapping of power between FF and FG.

The huge change forced on them is that the swap can't happen anymore because neither of them got the electoral support, they had to coalesce.

• Advertisement

Have you anything to offer the discussion yourself?

Advertisement