Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It doesnt say much for Kerry management if they have to sell off their crown jewel just to shore up the share price .Was it a similar situation with aib and boI before the banking crash .They sold up most of their premises and leased them back .Aren't these managers meant to have spent years in college ,if this is the best they can come up with when the pressure comes on god help anyone depending on them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

Without anymore expansion in milk supply ( I know its probably going to shrink instead) is there close to enough capacity if kerry stopped processing.. considering the new belview plant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I'd say it wouldn't be far-off, new plant will have a capacity of 450 million liters a year which we where told was been processed by other co-ops in peak months, so theirs plenty of processing capacity nationwide taking into account kerry are at a billion liters of milk, the typical late april/may flush seems to be a distant memory now too with weather patterns not giving us the kind growth weather of a decade ago, that used to max out co-ops capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Has there been any proposals coming from the Jim Woulfe "investigation"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

There's always consolidation in milk processing in ireland,we ve gone from 124 in 1972 to 18 now.i expect maybe 5 more to go on the next 10 years but I wouldn't like to forecast the ones that will go -5 years ago I d have been laughed out of the house if I suggested askeaton would close such was the demand for baby powder from Ireland.we in carbery have been spoiled with milk price over the last 25 years but it looks like those advantages are being reigned in.to a certain extent there's no worry about getting milk processed due to the last round of investment in ireland but whether we will have the muscle to live in the market is my worry.as for farm levell,there is a natural wave of consolidation probaly now due following the abolition of quota but we ll probaly see the harder nosed businesses thriving and the more lifestyle based dairy businesses fall by the wayside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The crown jewels is there ingredients business the largest ingredients operator in the world. Milk processing and agri sales are a low margin business and any mistake like there overpriced fertiliser last year is punished.

It will not be closed down however the real play over the next couple of years is not the Kerry processing faculties but the Wyeth baby food plant in Askeaton.

When the existing staff are made redundant it quite possible a new operator could reopen with a cost base 35-40% lower.

Dairygold and Ornua will be running the figures at present. Would a Kerrygold branded baby formula succeed. Dairygold sell mainly milk powder.

Do Kerry group change tack and look at buying the plant to add value to its milk pool. Would a trade player cone in and buy the Kerry milk pool and processing facility aa well as the Wyeth plant.

There us no margin in buying the Kerry plant and closing it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Kerry have always been dearer for fertiliser and all the other inputs with years and the local manager proclaims he has not 20/ton margin and the same raimeis regards milk supplied .Yet they blamed diminishing milk supply last year for the drop in value of production .They were offered a more then fair price by the co op to buy the processing operation but yet gain they blinked .Might not be worth too much when they can not get enough milk supply to keep both plants in operation

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

There’s no way Kerry will venture into baby food they couldn’t make a go out of it when they were producing it in charleville at a tiny scale compared to wyeths, most of Wyeths powder was being imported too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not sure but it looks a big enough plant. I not sure is it milk powder or liquid milk it uses in the manufacturing process I presume powder

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

I can't understand the business case for the CoOp buying the processing and stores business from the plc.

Hard to see where the milk will come from going forward. A lot of lads sick of milking, more lads maxed out with nitrates, no young lads interested, there is a hard core that are in so deep they have to keep going I suppose.

I say it is the case the plc see the co op being able to raise capital quickly and just saucing them on top for good measure .What skills any of them Kerry co op members have in business is nill ,they would not even have the skills to run a corner shop!!

No need to worry. If they were to buy the milk processing it would have to go to a shareholders vote. Not a hope of it getting passed unless they were getting a real bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Kerry are losing 23 suppliers in spring in our catchment fellas just pulling the pin a lot of them in their 70s and no one to take it on or interested. Was told by a mate working as a rep for dairygold last week they’re losing around 100 suppliers next spring also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I'd say the numbers in the hard core group that can't give up are very small. I see a good few men in their 50s talking of giving up milking and most thinking of calf to beef for an easier life.

neighbour was murdered with cows ,drawing bales of silage and drawing bits of slurry back out ,TB put him out of business and he is now pulling 2k/week in the buildings never again to milk a cow I would safely say

The big question is will reduced milk supply lead to competition between processors and increased prices or will it be a case of loss of processing efficiency with resulting reduced prices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Diversification option?

Charge people €25/hour to cuddle your cow. Just don’t let Eamon Ryan hear about it or it’ll be in the next ACRES 😂

https://x.com/afp/status/1741861842853761367?s=46

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

Not sure competition between coops will lead to higher prices.

It certainly hasn't in the liquid milk sector where processors cut the margin to the bone to get contracts off supermarkets.

90% of what we produce is exported, all the coops are selling into the same global market, the last thing we need is for them to be cutting each others throats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

They mustn’t be the big attraction they think they are! 5 hours left and not 500 out of 10k tickets sold yet.

No harm if it stays that way. Like yourself I enter the odd machinery competition on it but it’s going down a seedy route if they’re going down the road of selling themselves or other women on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Never hear much of strathroy now, are they still competitive and keeping going?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Actually this happened in nz not sure but i think from memory a few private processors started in think it was to do with milk processing rights haveing to pay for extra milk.You cud supply for free i think .Id say some smart buisness people cud buy an abandoned processing facilty and make a healthy profit.

Drawing milk from wexford to notrh cant be the most efficent but im only a farmer.

Lad 2k for a farmer on a building site wud u get a grip hed be lucky to get half that in dublin pay tax commute every day listen to some prick out in rain.Then when bang comes no job farming isnt that bad you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭older by the day

I was half thinking that myself, 2000 a week for walking out of the parlor into a building site. Unless he was site manager or engineer in a past life

His brothers are in the game and it is not his 1st time standing in a building site so he is taking on jobs with his brothers ,great money though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Out of season question but it affects whether I’ll buy more maiden heifers in the coming weeks…

Would 1 bull be enough for 30 heifers?

Thanks

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mature bull maybe but if doing no AI a second would always be advised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

One bull would be a big risk. Prid and ai them if short on time, then run a bull. I have had good sucess with prids

Advertisement