Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walker Combo 2023 WPSTBW23

• 01-01-2024 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering has anyone got one of these.

How's it working for you?

How's the Recording working?

Any photos of the programme guide.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Amelfango

Hi

New to posting on B.ie. Have benefitted from advice found here in the past.

I have just installed a Walker WPSTBW23. Haven't recorded yet. Though, I think I'm more likely to learn from you than vice versa. Having said that I'm very happy to pass on anything you might find useful that I discover.

The Operating Instructions are not great for a novice like me. Further the Glen Dimplex site is useless I don't think it even recognises this as one of their products! It struck me to question whether it is an original GD product!

Happy New Year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hello Friend and happy New Year.

Thanks for your reply and welcome to boards.

I would be thankful if you could take a photo of the Programme Guide and share it in a post if possible.

I have the previous Walker Combo receiver from 2018 and am quite happy with it.

Would be interested to see how RTE Player works also.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

It would be interesting to see if other apps can be added, no chance of VM but maybe Netflix, YouTube, the bigger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blackeyes

Picked up on of these over christmas - so far so good, my young kids are managing to use it fine. Playing from USB works great, have not had a chance to test out the recording option as yet. RTE Player works without problems so far.

Very little online about the box itself. No online manual that I can find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Peadarw

how do i programme the terrestial stations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 taytosnack

Hi, I just got one before the weekend for my elderly mother and am returning it. EPG is shocking, plus the entire interface is not at all user friendly, mostly due to the epg. It doesn't give 7 day, the text is too small, (don't mention magnifier)

Why change what was excellent in earlier models? The models from 10 years ago had such an easy set-up, straightforward and clear epg. Its only redeeming feature is the 'Home' button, where channels can be added for swift access, but no programme reminder. Compared to my previous one, The WPSTBW23 is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Antenna

recently I tried out one of these new WPSTBW23 Walker combo box - , though the supplied remote for it though I would descibe (for want of a better description) as an 'elderly unfriendly' remote (and awkward not just for many elderly people) . The digits buttons in particular are too closely spaced for ease of use in my opinion . (see it on the left of the attached picture)

The satellite channels have to be assigned above 300 on this box, so when keying in 3 digits in quick succession (302 for BBC2 or whatever) it can be a bit difficult to avoid pressing wrong digit buttons! Obviously its much less likely troublesome selecting one of the single-digit Saorview channels though I'd expect still a need for some people to put on reading glasses compared to using other remotes when they didn't.

See its remote control in the attached picture side-by-side comparison with the (now worn) remote for an earlier Walker combo box WP645TS-HD where the digits are much easier selected. It seems the word 'Shrinkflation' can be applied to the size of the remotes' too!

Incidentally the remote for that old combo box will control this new box (except for the SUBTitle button which results in a different function - the favorite/My button), .

Getting an easy to use Universal Remote Control set up for this combo box is probably a must for many people, or else get a old remote (in good working order) for the old WP645TS-HD Walker combi box that someone might have from a now non-functioning box (or try old remotes from other Walker /Vestel, such as Alba, STBs ).

Post edited by Antenna on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

One for All remotes generally work with the Vestel brands and are generally well designed. Out of curiosity can other apps be added or is it just RTE player.

Took a photo

of the Saorview EPG on this receiver- on attached picture. One negative change - on the old Walker box such as WP645TS , when going into its Saorview EPG it was still possible to hear the TV channel that was on. On this one it goes silent (so can no longer listen to the News whilst checking what is on RTE etc later!)

I didn't try out Internet functions, I was trying out the box (and arranging satellite channels) belonging to someone else who will only be using it for Satellite/saorview for now.

• Advertisement

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 cedbro

hi

I got one of these last week,

with internet connection you can get rte player and you tube. Netflix not listed in App Store.
    can I ask a question…. ex sky customer. Plugged in the satellite cable. Followed the first installation instructions and loaded the preset channels…. Got nothing !
    re attempted first installation steps, this time manual scanned channels, picked up itv, ch4, bbc south, and a couple of the U+drama etc, but not tuned in the multiple channels indicated .

Any suggestions on how to resolve this for a non techie that can’t afford to stay with sky!

Had you Sky Q? Sounds like that is the issue?

The Sky Q LNB on the dish is not compatible with other receivers, but it can partially work, getting higher frequency transponders. The limited amount of channels it will get are shifted to different frequencies to normal (so a preloaded channel or transponder list will not work), but a blind scan will get these channels. There are 2 satellite cables with SKY Q, each cable gets a totally different lot of channels - one for Horizontal , one for Vertical (you are getting Vertical channels)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 cedbro

yes, sky q before.
    changing the lnb is beyond my skills.
    pity they did not mention this in Powercity when I got it.

Advertisement