Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bluey2023

Spoke with the neighbour only this morning. No sign. Previous to us moving in they said they were pestered with them so it’s strange. I think they maybe getting in through there’s and we have a more hospitable environment for them. New insulation and heating system! We pull out and check everything regular and have all food in sealed containers. We clean the back up regular and grass short. Next door have a lot of shrubs that are creeping over our wall and large trees. Could be climbing and getting in through the roof. It’s the either the roof and under foundation at this stage because every tiny gap we have sealed

@mykrodot item unavailable 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP, one other thing to check is neighbors that are over generous feeding the birds. Mice and rats will move in and breed like mad if there is a good source of food. Nuts and grain spilt all around the bird table or excessive amounts of bird food on the ground will ensure your vermin get well feed and breed well.

Edit> For those that think the ultrasonic repellants work I have one about 6 foot away from and aimed directly at a giant bait box. I still need to regularly replace the poison bait blocks.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭mykrodot

exactly! Along with poison! Please be as humane as possible when dealing with mice or rats. Just because people are "scared" doesn't mean they need to resort to cruelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,607 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah the joys of owning a house previously owned by an enthusiastic but clueless DIYer. You'll be finding f*ckups for 15 or 20 years to come.

Not too long after we moved in I was taking up the crappy laminate floor in the box room, circular saw set just deep enough to cut through it. BANG and all electricity went off. Einstein had run an unfused spur off the back of a socket, between laminate and sub-floor using alarm cable. 230V 32 amps potentially going down a cable rated for perhaps 12V 500mA, in a position where any time anyone walked into that room they were wearing out the insulation on that cable.

We're still not really sure what is holding up the spiral staircase to the attic which they illegally used as a habitable room.

We didn't have mice. We had RATS. Under the kitchen floor due to some f*ckup in the extension construction many years before our ownership. One adventurous one thought it'd be fun to climb out the hole left for the cable to feed the fridge (after having a good gnaw at it) and have a look around. I sealed that up tightly with a piece of wood and, in conjunction with the below, no more rats.

Get poison. They love BASF Storm, most chemists have it or maybe a farm shop in your area. They love it so much they keep coming back, so you need to keep replenishing it. They take it home and stockpile it and share it around and then they all die. Our adventurous little fecker was taking two large lumps back a day but I carelessly allowed the supply to run out, the fecker then ran / jumped over a mouse trap beside the fridge and entered the kitchen proper, my other half was naturally not impressed.

This poison makes them die of thirst, they leave your house to seek water. Just make sure there isn't a water source under your floor like a drippy pipe.

A rat needs a gap about the size of a 1 or 2 euro coin (depending on size) to get in, but a mouse only needs a gap the width of a pencil.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

They hate the smell (but so do you, but would be OK outdoors). I've also heard that washing your kitchen floor with Flash produces a deterring smell. You can be damn sure we were washing our kitchen floor after that little episode... the tiles we have are so rough they rip any brush or mop to shreds in no time, but we did it anyway... the BLACK of the water afterwards was impressive and it was still taking dirt off in that state. Flash is great stuff.

Scrap the cap!

I couldn't give a fiddler's. Are they worse than the ones which break the neck or decapitate? Do you feel sorry for all the COVID-19 viruses you killed with hand sanitizer? 😁

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Rat hole behind fridge freezer

Blocked with wood, sealer then applied.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

They dont work. Companies that made them got sued and they arent allowed to say they work anymore.

You only hear the mice scratching when they have just come into the house and are making the nest and thats even only if they are making the nest under your insulation on the actual ceiling slab. Once the nest is made you wont hear them again unless its more new arrivals making a new nest. And you will never hear them if they are not making it under the insulation anyway.

Best bet is battery traps in the attic at the start of a cold spell. Get them as soon as they appear. Once they breed you'll have many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

No it won't bring them in from outside. I know ours come in anyway and I normally put bait in the roof when I hear the patter of tiny feet.

Ya I was going to put some in attic but was wary of drawing them in

I noticed when I put a trap in shed there was always a dead mouse until I copped they were getting in under door

Everyone has different experiences with the plug ins. Some swear by them and some say useless. If you feel they work for you happy days. If they don’t work or they can’t say they work how are they still being sold???

i have the plug ins don’t seem to be working but when I was in the home house the minute you plugged one in you’d hear the scurrying around. So I dunno.

we have several traps, and bait stations and rat traps set and check them daily. (As I’m terrified). Everyone has their own way of managing and things work different for different situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Last few days are prime mouse entry time. Mild weather transitioning into cold. Catch them now before they have baby mice.

https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/pest-control/do-ultrasonic-pest-repellers-work/

The trick mostly seems to be stop them getting in

I'd be dubious about posters claim that every house has them

That was my original question 😂 we know how to catch/kill them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The idea of bait is to entice them to eat it. So in order to work it must attract them first and then kill them later.

You won't attract any mice you don't have already.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be so sure. I've read that a mouse can travel up to 100ft in search of food at night and they have a keen sense of smell. Quite a wide area to kill all mice.

I have 8 bait stations around the place. Some are less than 10ft apart. I find some bait stations empty and others untouched. If the bait was attracting them then there wouldn't be any with untouched bait.

Well I'll post this from the internet

'Does mouse bait attract more mice? Do bait stations attract more mice? Yes, bait stations can draw more mice to the areas they are placed. Many times, this is a good way of gauging how extensive your infestation is, although it could draw more mice from other places than you expected'

Advertisement