Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

If there is no margin by definition in the construction of EOBs proposed project housing, how will the government incentivize construction companies to get involved? Is the idea to employ people as direct labour by the new authority? Taking on permanent employees will bring a 30-40% salary overhead by definition in the public sector.

Also, public tendering processes will not deliver savings on material costs, the opposite is more likely.

Would anyone want to spend 300k on a house that they don't fully own or can't sell on the open market.

Credit to Eoin OBroin committing the idea to paper but the proposal needs to be examined in detail.

It seems at first glance that the 300k figure was decided and then everything worked back to that. Deleting site costs and developer margin seems like a backward admission that the 300k claim is not deliverable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd just be amazed that Mary Lou commented on an actual Irish issue myself. Would give her credit for that one.

In general though, she and SF in general seems more concerned about the Israel/Hamas conflict (something that let's be honest makes zero diffference to us here in Ireland), or on about Unification most of the time (which most here wouldn't actually support/care about in the face of far more immediate and serious local issues or when the reality of having to pay for it sunk in).

If SF want to actually get support on the day they'd be far better off focussing on these more important local issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,839 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Because the land is being hoarded. The recent taxation measure was brought in to try to combat this, but it is a bit too low to have had any impact yet

BTW, I wasn't suggesting the developers just hire 5 lads. That was in relation to the ability of the public sector to substitute for the developers. I focused the response on the developer margin aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

A United Ireland will drive a huge tax burden on the tax payer in the Republic of Ireland, Sinn Fein fire out the odd comments to keep the online "republicans" happy while doing absolutely nothing to bring about a United Ireland.

They managed to close the government in the North again. Hardly a good sign of building relationships in the North is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

I think Gerry must feed her a script every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

The price of land, raw materials, labour , the world economy and supply will determine the average price of a house in Dublin. It is delusional from Mary Lou. In Kilkenny City you'd be hard pressed to get a house for less than 300k so to expect it to come down to 300k in Dublin is fantasy thinking.

Ahh Sinn Fein expect all their supporters to work for free on building houses

• Registered Users Posts: 19,839 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Land does not determine the price of houses. It is the opposite way around. The likes of SCSI tells you it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I know you didn't suggest it, I'm suggesting it in order to demonstrate that I don't think your point makes any sense.

You believe that 5 people on 100K each can replace a builder.

You also believe that a builder makes at least 5M on a site of 100 houses.

So the question remains, why wouldnt a builder just pay 5 lads the 500K and then he pockets at least 4.5M without having to do anything?

Also, if its this easy, why isnt everyone setting themselves up as a developer?

I think you are confusing Zoning and planning with housing maybe?

Its very hard to build a house unless you have land to build it on. You have to purchase that land.

You can build a house for 300K excluding land costs. How much are you going to sell that house in Dalkey vs the same house in Termonfeckin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If the state land is to be used, does that not mean the local councils will loose money as they won't be selling land to private developers?

I think with a program like SF are proposing it needs to be explained. I've yet to see the actual details, beyond the headline 300k figure.... which didn't get much traction, so a new figure popped up, even lower at 250k. Either way, it needs to be costed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Sinn Fein in opposition have been getting away with convincing everyone that they will increase taxation and spending with effecting your tax.

A left wing party against property tax 😀

It's pie in the sky much like this proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Well you've qualified your original statement somewhat...

But with some of the lowest population density in Europe we're not running out of land anytime soon.

Labour shortages the big problem, too long ignored by FFG and still they do nothing about it.

They also claim they want to "tax the rich"

While giving the rich a tax break by removing the LPT. All those dodgy rich people hiding money have no way around paying LPT for their big houses etc.

Sinn Fein should run under the banner "Incompetence" because that's the best description for the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

How will Eoin OBroins plan specifically address this labour issue?

What have I qualified? Since the start I have pointed out that you require land which is a finite resource. You are the one who keeps insisting that its just government policy causing an issue.

As for population density, where exactly is all this free space? Is it in Dublin or Cork or Galway city, yunno, where all the people want to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,551 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theyre clearly trying to pull in some of those floating centrist's with their stance on property tax, it ll work to some degree, but we clearly cant continue with increasing wealth inequality in particular related to property, so someone is gonna have to break stuff and upset a lot of people, but at the moment, it aint gonna be any of the three main parties, so it probably wont happen at all.....

we clearly have no clue what a sf lead government would be like, but as it stands at the moment, they d have to form one with ff, so its actually looking very possible, we ll simply have another ffg government after the ge, and if thats the case, get ready for a lot more stuff to be burnt to the ground!

sf incompetence, well we could take a good look at our current governments situation in regards competency!

yup, no one has a clue or any sort of plan in how to approach the actual problem of capacity, so sorry folks, our property market is screwed for the remainder of this decade anyway!

We have a clue, look at the North.

The LPT is the lifeline now for a lot of councils and since it's introduction you have seen facilities pop up all over Ireland which was never been built before by councils. Cutting it off now is the sort of stupid idea I would expect from PBP etc and if Sinn Fein are stupid enough to think that is a good plan they shouldn't be let near the government.

If the best you can say about SF in regards to incompetence is look at the other guys you really are losing it.

FF and FG can claim to have Ireland as one of the best countries in the World, yes we have issues, but we are still a fantastic place to live. What can Sinn fein claim? they got setup in the 70's to get a United ireland? failed at that. Every other thing you look at they have failed.

Take over DCC to build properties? failed and left with less units

Release an alternative budget? failed and had errors in it

Take over the assembly in the North? failed they have it shut down again

Try to build bridges in the North with other parties after peace process? failed at every occasion

Sorry I don't see why anyone would think putting them into government is a good idea just because they haven't failed at that yet.

Honestly until Sinn Fein arrived I never heard anyone talk about putting a political party into power because it's a bit of a change, while been told to forget how incompetent the party is at every level.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,551 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

really! ffg are flying along, our 'issues' such as housing and health care system issues are really only minor issues, that ireland is really just fine, seriously!

do you really think your kids, grand kids, nieces and nephews see ireland this way! and from this, im sure, they ll just run to further support another ffg lead government, and definitely wont say, ta hell with this, we re voting anything but, including, and in particular sf! get ready now!

get ready, you re gonna be very very disappointed, when a hell of a lot of those young folk vote for sf, demanding a sf lead government, and if they dont get it, some of those folk are gonna raise hell, they ll just continue burning and wrecking things, until significant change occurs!

talking about entitlement, ffg and some of their supporters, are amongst the most entitled, believing their needs and wants, supersede everyone elses, in particular younger generations, and ta hell with those younger generations, get ready now folks, the dominate era of ffg is coming to and end, and us older generations, in particular those of us that own assets such as property, better get use to change, cause its gonna hurt!

oh and if you think sf are bad, just wait, the anti brigade are here, and their solution, lets burn and wreck stuff!

Nobody said they "are flying along" or they are "minor issues" so as usual on any discussion we get this nonsense responses.

"entitled" 😂

blah blah blah , faux outrage, blah blah blah. That's all that reads to me.

Do you have have anything to discuss on their incompetence or their policies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Labour shortages the big problem, too long ignored by FFG and still they do nothing about it

Again, what will SF do differently?

There are two options;

1. Cut welfare to incentivise people to work.
    2. Bring in large numbers of non-EU migrant workers

neither of these will be acceptable to SF’s base so what will they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Take over the assembly in the North? failed they have it shut down again

I think this is the second time you've said this in the last few pages and I'm curious as to why you believe this when it is clear to everyone that it is not SF but the DUP who are blocking the Assembly

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

How come there is an also housing crisis in North where SF been in charge for how long now? And what have they done about it there

That's paywalled, but I think you're allowed to summarise and quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Let me give you an example of the financial figures involved in the income and mortgage plans of a couple that I am advising, which suggest that the required income levels are about half of the quoted figures above.

The purchase price of the property under consideration is €425,000, the deposit required is €42,500, the First Home Scheme is worth €126,000, and the mortgage loan is €256,000. 

So, a couple or single person earning €64,000, with a 10% deposit can buy a new property that is worth €425,000. 

The average industrial wage is €47,201, which means buying a new home is well within the price range of a couple earning 68% of the average industrial wage.

That is part of it.

Making housing more affordable will allow building to continue to a greater extent during the next downturn, making construction work more stable and attractive in the long term.

Like I said I think SF's plan lacks detail and doesn't go far enough, but at least it's better than 10 years of FFGs do basically nothing approach.

With 60,000 homes at least required per year in the long term, and major retrofit work required by 2040 for the EU ban on fossil fuels, we need far more construction workers.

FFG have done nothing over the last decade to address this.

Thanks, now where does couple earning 68% of the average wage get 42500 for a deposit with rents where they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭nachouser

I don't normally bother with these threads, but this outlook is delusional.

https://vote.sinnfein.ie/budget-2024/

• Advertisement

"lacks detail"

I kinda would have said that detail is critical for a plan?

Advertisement