Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Positives are McCarthy continuing to improve and Baird yet again taking apart another sides lineout. Our bench also made a positive impact in terms of keeping up territorial dominance.

We're currently unable to exploit that dominance, but hopefully that'll come in time. Getting Ross Byrne back would go a long way. He'll never be a top class 10, but he's the best decision maker of all the current options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Harry didn't lose us the game by any stretch but he lost a brilliant chance to smash and grab it when we had momentum and some field position. He's not a clutch performer and mistakes like that are why he won't be Leinsters starting 10 when Ross is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm not arguing - nor did I ever - who the best player on the pitch was, nor who the best 10 was. I pointed out, accurately, that nobody had said that Prendergast was the best 10 on the pitch, even Clegg. That's all I said. You were making that up and arguing with yourself. Given you posted something very similar - if not nearly word for word - half way through the game in the Ulster thread, you had a chip on your shoulder about the Leinster-centric focus Prendergast was getting and decided to take it here as well. That's just my read on things though. I won't be responding on the matter (Prendergast, Burns, McCarthy, etc) again.

Like I said earlier in the thread, congrats on the win. I thought Burns was great tonight, easily the best 10 on the pitch and he stitched Leinster up like a kipper multiple times from hand. Ulster managed the second half superbly without a lot of possession and some of the defense at the end was fantastic. It's a great result for Ulster.

Enjoy the win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just re-watched the final 10 minutes. Really can't understand the thought process behind JGP going for a three man miss pass.

We weren't playing under penalty advantage so it wasn't a free hit. We didn't have a man advantage and the Ulster defence was set. But the biggest sin was him ignoring that our pack was actually steadily grinding down Ulster's. We had started on the 22 metre line and got to a metre out after playing a dozen phases. He had Boyle and Sheehan outside him waiting for the pop pass. A few more phases of direct carrying would have seen us cross the line.

You're literally responding to my post about Clegg saying McCarthy was the best player on the pitch by staying no-one was saying Prendergast was the best ten in the pitch. Nion-sequtur sir?

And if you'd watched on Viaplay, you'd have known my frustration was about their coverage. I did make that unclear,I apologise.

And yeah, you shouldn't respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭JRant

In the past couple of weeks we’ve played in horrendous conditions so there’s zero point in trying to play expansive rugby. Using a kicking game is the right call, we just kicked poorly for large parts. Ulster definitely won the kicking game today and played a lot of smart rugby in brutal weather.

we are also only getting players fully back so it’s almost like early preseason for half the team. Im liking some of what I’m seeing and I think it’ll start to click sooner rather than later.

I don’t understand the hate for playing like SA either. They are playing winning rugby and that’s all that counts. They can also throw the ball about with the best of them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

Murphy is incompetent. No matter who plays he isn’t good enough at all. That’s not to take anything away from Ulster tonight. On balance I think they deserved the result. But the fact that the league persists with substandard refereeing is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There’s incompetence and then there’s Frank. In the 76th minute we had Ulster bang to rights under their own posts and only 1 point behind on the scoreboard. He somehow manufactured a penalty to Ulster though when our jackal was pretty much textbook and the Ulster lad was holding on for dear life on the deck.

Ulster were good value for their win though and played the conditions far better

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Lads, there's a time and a place. This is neither. You just look bitter.

They are bitter.

He's the only professional ref on the planet who gives that penalty. And Leinster are the only team he gives it against.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Poor decision by JGP at that moment. You’d be a bit disappointed if he played that pass even with a penalty advantage unless he was trying to milk the penalty.

Other option would have been get in the pocket and take the 3 points and go into the lead. Cup rugby near the death on a dog of a day.

JGP was very poor it has to be said. Kicked the ball away multiple times to no effect at all, that skip pass was dreadful, was one of his worst showings in many seasons imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

It was a poor pass but my memory of it a player has a his hand up for the long pass as he approached the ruck. Would need to see it again, might be wrong. Still shouldn't have thrown it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Jgp has been poor for months now. Not the same player he was since the 6 nations.

This new Leinster style won't suit him as he was never a great kicker or decision maker.

Problem for ireland is the back up's aren't great either. Murray is past it. Casey isn't great and too small. Same for blade.. Doak can't stay ahead of Cooney. It's an area of concern in the short to medium term for ireland.

Not really. Murphy for years has been a terrible ref. Calling that out doesn’t take the result from Ulster.

What exactly is the time and place if it's not *checks notes* in the actual Leinster thread after the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

• Advertisement

Would be lovely if you could actually debate the point.

Less than an hour after a loss by Leinster on the Leinster thread is neither the time nor the place to complain about the ref who officiated the losing match. If you can't see that it just makes you look like a whinging sore loser, regardless of how correct you may be or may believe you are, I don't know what else to say.

But hey look, to each their own. Up to yourselves.

Not much point when you are so emotionally triggered by your team losing unexpectedly.

If you read the original post I credited Ulster for their win. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The abundance of kicking inside enemy territory is an interesting one. The conventional wisdom for the last few years is that Leinster murder teams off lineout ball, either with the maul (inside the 22) or with strike plays (closer to midfield). The kicking that we saw tonight was consistent with this, I think. Kicks with a view to pressuring the exit. Boks, on the other hand, seem to go more for the contestable kick with the hope of a regather or (I'm sure they'd much prefer) a scrum. It's a subtle difference but one I think that's still largely true to Leinster's existing strengths.

All being said, it took Rowntree and Mike P a good 6-7 months before the new Munster system was coherent and effective. Leinster are a fraction along that timeframe and it's unlikely things really coalesce before April.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Totally agree. Don’t think he swayed towards either team. Just completely out of his depth.

Seems to be very tough to get to the URC level for referees, but once they get there, it must be a job for life. He simply isn’t up to the required standard. I don’t know personally but surely someone is refereeing at club or underage provincial level that has more ability than Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is this the Burns bandwagon again? One good outing does not make him international quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd say that Leinster are lucky that Goodman is leaving. Ireland not so much. Goodman has bought very little into Leinster.

Agree with the Nienaber call. Saffa rugger won't work for Leinster. The pack isn't up to that type of play.

Advertisement