Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Living in rural Ireland for the last 40 years of my life I have seen and lived through many negative changes in quality of life . Changes that we were always assured were for the greater good and couldn’t be helped for the sake of progress. The closure of many Pubs and small business. The slow gradual thinning out of the population density. The decimation of good sound agribusiness and meaningful work. Derelict houses and the pull towards the cities. And in recent years post pandemic the disappearance entirely of any kind of vibrant social scene that was on its last legs pre 2020. And now after sucking up all that and accepting the price of progress we are about to have 200 strange single men with weird beliefs dumped into our community with nothing to do and no where to go. Is this progress?

Take a group of 200 men anywhere in the world of any ethnicity and creed and at least one will be a psycho maybe two three or four. And now they are being dumped into decimated rural communities that had had to accept decline for progress for the last 40 years and now this is what we are getting????? This is what all the progress was for??????

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Will there be an incident room set up for every fire in a commercial building in the country going forward?

seems like a terrible waste of Garda resources

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Two headlines on the Irish Times website right now:

"More than 20 primary schools who reported to be in financial difficulty sought emergency funding from the Department of Education last year in the face of rising costs. However, latest records indicate that just one school was successful in securing additional funding."

"State to build new reception centres for asylum seekers in 2024"

It's a heck of a lot more than 20 primary schools that are basically insolvent and out of cash as only 20 applied for funding. We can't afford to fund schools properly - Ireland is ranked 36th out of 36 OECD countries in terms of spending on education as a % of GDP.

Yet it's amazing what we can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yep, 5.5 billion for Ukranians but no money for schools, hospital waiting lists etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

it beggars belief… you really couldn’t make up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Stardust didnt get as much publicity as these 2 empty buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It was once thought that the future of rural Ireland would be as a playground for domestic and international tourism - population and farming would decline and it's main purpose would lie in tourism.

Now we see that's wrong, the future of rural Ireland is a dumping ground for migrants. Until presumably they make their way to the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I would agree that living standards in rural Ireland have gotten worse the last 20 years, with the Green attack on agriculture (mainly because we don't have any heavy industry like chemicals, auto manufacturing and steel, so our poor farmers have to take the brunt of emissions cuts). The policy of dumping hundreds of illegal migrant men in rural Ireland is so messed up its almost beyond belief. There is literally almost no new housing being built in rural Ireland apart from one off private homes, and even if there was, why should it go to illegal third world migrants? And it's not even remotely "racist" to ask that question, it's just a natural common sense question. Statistically we're also adding the demographic with highest crime rate (young single men) to areas with barely a handful of unarmed police. Another indisputable fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Is there some sort of accounting fiddle that's going on?

For example does the EU green light Ireland putting all it's Ukrainian financing as Off Balance Sheet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭20silkcut

There must be. Or the EU are throwing money at them under the table. There are buildings being done up that have been derelict for years and decades. In fairness that is great on the surface. But it’s for an absolutely terrifyingly terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I have read some pretty horrific nonsense on this thread, dodged the irritating, lazy ad hominem attacks. Then I found this piece in the Irish Times. It reaffirmed my belief in this country.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-style/people/2023/11/21/the-people-here-in-athlone-really-stood-with-me-when-we-had-nothing-they-really-supported-me-like-brothers-and-sisters/

Reading that story is a salve after all the bile that has been written in other media.

Currated feel-good stories, promoted to support the government policy.

Notice that particular piece isn't paywalled?

Propaganda Rag.

For the sake of the both sides argument, will the IT run a similar story, not paywalled, that shows the abuse of the AS/Refugee system?

It's a great story. It is what it is. An honest account of one woman's struggle and her desire to build a life here. It's heartening. Preferable to the usual run of horror stories in the media at the moment. You inquire about the editorial policy of the paper concerned. I've no idea what their editorial stance is in this matter. Maybe you should ring them and ask? Write a letter to the editor perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How many towns in Ireland have emergency accommodation centres for refugees? We're literally talking a relatively small handful - anyone reading this thread would think there is a refugee centre in every town in Ireland. Apart from Ukrainians, there are less than 25,000 refugees or asylum seekers in the entire country, nearly 10,000 of whom are in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

She has been in DP 7 years turned down several times but appeals have allowed her to be allowed stay when she should have been deported years ago.

She was from Zimbabwe and fled to CapeTown SA for 27 years.

What was she "fleeing" in SA after all that time that merits her status here?

"However, she says she faced hostility and the threat of violence from some people who “had a problem with foreigners for taking jobs”

Oh dear, facing "hostility" i'm sure is not good, but SA is a democracy that has a judicial system.

She's 51 now, is probably not going to contribute much at all to irish pensions.

Frankly, that's not our decision to make. You don't know that she should have been deported years ago. Do you know more about her case than what was published? As far as we know she has leave to remain.

She is here, has leave to remain and wants to build a life here. There is no crime in that. As to everything else? Irrelevant.

Like I said above. A nice change of scene from the usual doom and gloom in the media these days.

• Advertisement

Sounds like she entered this country with help from her church in SA.

“We used to go to this church. They used to let us sleep there, and they raised money for us to travel [to Ireland].”

After landing, she apparently didn't claim asylum until sometime later. That suggests she may have entered under false pretenses.

has volunteered all over the town, helping schoolchildren with homework and helping young girls in the community. [Translation: she helps other non nationals]

Some day, when she finishes her education, she hopes to work with asylum seekers and contribute to policymaking. [Translation: she's here availing of free education so that she can assist other africans come here as refugees and also effect government policy to make it easier]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The one thing a school will get instantly, is extra hours for English language tuition for Ukrainian children, irrespective of how good their English is, but try get €500 euro from the Department to get a child assessed with an educational psychologist for a learning disability, not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

My auntie unfortunately has had to move into a nursing home against her own will as the HSE told her they haven't got the funding for her home care anymore. This is a woman who spent 45 years herself working in healthcare helping others. Yet we have money for scummers the ilk of Puskas who come here and leech off us whilst contributing zero.

My days voting FG are over. Will SF or independents make a difference probably not but im willing to give them the chance to prove me wrong. It's absolutely mad we are in a situation where our government care more for people who'd struggle to point out Ireland on a map than the people who built this nation up since the dark days in the 70's and early 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It's kind of racist to keep referring to asylum seekers as illegal immigrants.

Cannot see any other reason that someone would keep falsely stating that people who are legally entitled to be in this country are illegal immigrants.

Not helping a cause at all, by just lying. Shows that lies are easily spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yes, the tragic fire on Valentine's Day 1981, you never hear about that.......🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

It's amazing really, here you are linking good news refugee stories.

Yet you had never heard of palani and puska last week with all the column inches dedicated to both!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

What are you talking about? Arson has always been treated as a serious crime. When some of these people.start being caught, which they will, they are going get fairly hefty sentences.

Do you have an objection to good news stories? As I said above, it is a nice change from the doom and gloom in the media and other fora.

it's not a good news story.

It's someone that experienced trauma 40 years ago, then spent the next 30 years in SA.

Then came to ireland probably under false pretenses to later claim asylum. Today, milks the irish tax payer for free education with the goal : to pry open the door to further africans to arrive here.

• Advertisement

Yes, this woman experienced trauma in Africa and our country is providing refuge for her and she is now building a life here. As I said a good news story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement