Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Because NI is ruled, financially, from Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If Mary Lou thinks average house prices in Dublin should fall to 300k, and she must recognise that the likes of D4, Blackrock, Malahide, Howth, Clontarf, Monkstown, Foxrock etc will still command a premium, does that mean she wants houses in Tallaght, Crumlin, Santry, Clondalkin etc to be available for much less than 300k to make the "average" balance out?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

Ah so 5 years into a SF reign the excuse for no increases in housing will be “Because Ireland is ruled, financially, from Brussels, we told you for all them decades EU are evil”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Might have just been the word limit on the article.

Am I wrong about NO being ruled financially by Westminster?

And no, Brussels nor the EU control out budgets not rule is financially. It's the difference between being a sovereign state, and not.

But don't let your fear of SF cloud your opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The old excuse of Westminster rolled out yet again by Sinn Fein supporters.

The reason housing is a mess in Northern Ireland has nothing to do with Westminster.

Sinn Fein have done zip to resolve the issues in Northern Ireland yet we are told that they have all the answers in Republic. Hilarious.

Sinn Fein took control of DCC in 2014, they got kicked out in 2019. When they took control they promised to build houses and one of the reasons they got voted in

This is their record in DCC, while the population was growing.

https://dublininquirer.com/2019/03/20/council-owns-1-300-fewer-social-homes-than-four-years-ago/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Maybe. I await his detailed and costed follow up so.

It will probably be a book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

She should be working in spar deli.

Do SF have complete control over financial matters in NI or not?

Also, I am not a SF supporter, but this ridiculous fear from their opponents who want the status quo to remain the same while out housing and health system is destroyed is definitely pushing me and others towards SF. Keep it up, you're doing a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I have no political affiliation, I don’t think the Governments for the past 12 years overall have done badly. They navigated very difficult waters and our economy has recovered very impressively, to the point that even though we have gone through a pandemic, there is near full employment, high paying jobs and a population which hasn’t been as high since the famine. It’s true housing has not kept pace, but we are not the only country suffering from high prices and demand. Whether you like it or not, a whole lot of people are happy with their lot and are afraid that letting a bunch of loons govern. It isn’t fear of the status quo being upset, it’s the fear that SF could make matters worse, so far they have provided little detail on how they are going to solve problems, That should concern anyone who is planning to vote for them, and will certainly concern anyone who thinks SF are grifters.

• Advertisement

It's a list of excuses, the GFA was in 1998, we are now in 2024 and all SF and supporters do is make excuses for Northern Ireland.

I don't fear Sinn Fein, I read their policies and they are a disaster. Also if you listen to their interviews after the bluff they are a disaster. Like the Health representative saying he was going to hire hundreds of new doctors, rightly the presentor asked him how would he attract all these new doctors when Sinn Fein are running based on "tax the rich" which would mean Doctors would be hit. His answer: "I don't know about that"

That's Sinn Fein. No fear of them, they are just incompetent.

Also, the health system is destroyed, yet during covid people from Northern Ireland flooded over the border into the Republic.

So maybe instead of talking about fear you could actually provide some example of Sinn Fein, how they are going to help Ireland? what in their policies prove this? how is it joined up etc?

I also noticed instead of discussing their record in DCC you go on about "fear". This is typical Sinn Fein supporters online who don't want to discuss the track record of Sinn Fein because they know it is appauling and instead want to waffle on about fear or start pointing fingers. You claim to not support Sinn Fein yet you seem to post very very similar to their online supporters playbook

There's literally no point discussing anything with you when you constantly refer to me as a SF supporter, when I am not.

If you can't accept this most very basic point, why should I bother engaging anymore?

What the basic point? all you have said so far is people "fear" them.

I asked you to tell me about their policies, are you going to do that or talk about fear?

Erm. My basic point is that I am not a SF supporter. You can't seem to grasp that.

Ok so you are not a Sinn Fein supporter, want to talk about their policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,551 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i appreciate the concerns explained, but the reality is, life actually isnt going well for many people here, this is primarily amongst younger generations, and theyve had enough, and you cant blame them either. this is actually a major problem for all of us, even those of us that have benefitted greatly from our monumental successes over the last few decades, for example, as we all now, we all require more access to our health system as we age, these services are generally provided by younger generations, but if those folks are unable to provide themselves with their own needs, the most obvious being housing, they simply wont be able to provide us with our needs, in particular our health needs....

this is where we all truly are in it together, if we dont resolve this quickly, we ll all end up in trouble, and very quickly so, these issues are now starting to seriously effect us economically, even though in many metrics, this isnt showing yet, but if we continue, particularly into the next decade with these issues, they ll more than likely will start showing, these issues will more than likely show in rapidly rising instabilities both socially and economically, that means it effects everyone negatively, including older, retired generations, as explained.....

....this is where the rise of the alternatives comes in, many of these younger generations realise, older, more established political entities and parties, their beliefs, ideas, theories etc etc, are now toast, as its clearly obvious, what worked for previous generations, simply wont work for them, so theyve decided the best thing to do is vote for these alternative....

in an irish context, this is clearly ffg, their era of dominance is now coming to an end, whether we like it or not, its over, they clearly wont disappear, but they wont experience this dominance again, not for some time anyway

yes the alternatives are a step into the unknown, they will be problematic, there will be failures, but their voters simply dont care at this stage, as the establishment has completely failed them, and they know it....

we now have to accept this, accept we ve failed them, and do whatever we can to help them, or we re all screwed...

....suck it up folks, this era is coming to an end, real change is now happening, and it probably wont be the end of the world either, it ll probably be just fine..

...oh and if you think sf are bad, wait till you see when we finally get an anti party, now that ll be real nasty stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Any property owner, particularly those young, first time buyers who have bought over the last five years or so, will not want property prices to fall off a cliff. Don’t kid yourself that the majority of the population will vote for higher taxes and lower value of their main asset.

The health system in any country is like a gigantic ship, slow to turn, difficult to get a handle on. The Dept of health is as difficult a ministerial position as you can get in many countries. So far I have not heard anything from SF about how they are going to make our HS better.

If there was an election tomorrow, what is your current understanding of how SF would improve housing and our HS. Lay out why you think they will be able to solve both, or are you in the “anything is better than what we have” camp, and clueless about how SF will actually achieve the improvements voters think the will.

Honestly this is a ridiculous position to take.

If you want to make the housing crisis worse then vote in a party who have no idea how to fix it because they will just be a different name.

In reality you should vote in the party with the best plan to resolve the housing crisis and the other issues we have in Ireland. At the moment that party is not Sinn Fein.

No ramble about young people etc is not going to change that.

Maybe the FF/FG era will end, I couldn't care less. But I do hope the people who come into power have a better plan than they are a different face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I see Eoin has announced he is writing a new book about housing. His 4th I believe.

Oh do tell us, which party in your opinion has the best policy on housing?

• Advertisement

If you think what FFG have done is "destroy" things you are in for a shock if SF get into power.

Incompetence destroys, take a look at what Liz Truss did in the UK in a couple of days and then take a look at SF "budgets".

Perhaps you can review the thread title and then reread your post?

This thread is specifically about SF and their "300K a house" fairytale.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What mess?

2023 saw the highest number ever of first-time buyers get a house.

Trolley numbers are down.

Things are slowly improving in Ireland from a high level already.

Very little I would say. More first time buyers than ever before is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,551 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...especially those that can get access to more money, so that prices can keep rising......

.....this approach should be absolutely fine, shouldnt cause any sort of issues in the long run!

So you think young people buying houses for the first time is a bad thing?

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A % of the increase may be due to the Help to Buy scheme.

A greater % would be due to the ever increasing regulations and requirements for new builds. Compare the quality finish of a new build from 2023 versus a 1950s built house for example.

Another % would be due to the vast wealth floating around this country, and developers knowing they can charge a higher price for a Limited supply of their product due to the great demand and also money that is in the market.

Based on any credible figures for housing requirements we've fallen somewhere around 100k houses further behind where we need to be on housing in the four years of this FFG government.

Also miles off on the labour intensive retrofits which will be required especially now that we've signed up to ban fossil fuel heating systems by 2040.

Rents are far higher than they've ever been.

Plenty of anecdotal evidence of construction workers leaving because of said rents and house prices, and young people being put off construction jobs.

We're in a terrible state regarding housing, and due to the last four years of inactivity, it's now far harder to fix than it was before.

And that's before we even get to shortages in other areas relating to housing and the rise of the far-right, which again seems to be fueled by concerns over housing and essential services.

• Advertisement

Advertisement