Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭Augme

And? Again, what's your point? Are you saying that a negative or why would that be a bad thing for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Westernview

I don't get what you're saying there. What evidence have you of this 'official ideology" If its official then it must be somewhere in legislation? How is teaching non nationals irish in schools not evidence of 'assimilation' that you call it (not a word I like to use - integration is what id call it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The truth is most irish people appreciate the desperate situation a lot of the migrants have found themselves in

Yes this is true, the problem is that there's a vocal minority of racists who want to send every immigrant back to a warzone. They have managed to convince a few moderate thinkers that if we stop bringing migrants in and send the ones that are here away then it will fix our decades old health service and housing crisis overnight

Our government aren't doing any favours either by allowing these crises to continue...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not sure what people are expecting any future Irish government to do. We already have full control over EU freedom of movement and immigration by non-EU migrant workers and students - the govt could tighten implementation of the current rules if they wished, using entirely legal means.

That just leaves us with the refugee / asylum seeker situation, but by the sounds of it, they already have plans to enforce rules around this more robustly in 2024 and beyond, including for Ukrainians.

Youre being very selective in terms of your concerns about infrastructure. Without immigration we'd have no hope of having enough tradespeople to address housing, public transport, education and health service buildings. In fact the health service would collapse and a large amount of hotels and restaurants would be forced to close. The benefits of immigration far outweigh any pressure they cause.

You alluded to increased crime rares but admit you have nothing to back that up. Best not to mention it then unless you have stats to back it up. Otherwise it just leads to unfair discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

I disagree. I have actually addressed most of the issues you've mentioned in my previous posts including labour shortages around nursing, construction and hospitality. Perhaps I should find and link to these posts.

In some areas immigrants fill gaps, in others they create a labour glut which helps lower wages (which is great for business owners, but not for Irish workers and is an abuse of immigrants also). There is a nursing shortage but the shortage in other areas is not so stark and does not cover all roles.

To state as a fact that the benefits outweigh the pressures is tendentious. I do not believe that is correct and you've so far assumed it rather than demonstrated it.

This is a 425-page thread and the Immigration megathread is 200 pages so read through if you have time as many points have been made on both sides.

Lastly, I mentioned crime only in passing because I was talking about other people's perceptions.

Post edited by growleaves on

Ease the pressure on services and infrastructure and you end up with a smaller economy and less money in your pocket. Are the anti-immigration people prepared to take a pay cut or a drop in their social welfare payments in order to see their wishes come true?

It's true that i am new to this thread and I'd like to see what you said previously on labour shortages etc. Based on your comment I replied to it seemed you were very much anti emigration. In terms of me not demonstrating how benefits of emigration outweigh negatives id refer to numerous articles by David McWilliams where he describes how immigrants are more likely to be better educated, more motivated and younger than the average irish worker. He cites irish census figures and government data in his articles. If you can't access through the irish times paywall he repeats the article contents in his podcasts

Also it's quite disingenuous of you to say you only mentioned crime due to immigrants 'in passing' and then brushing it off as something someone else said. The fact you mentioned it means you wished to emphasise that link. Otherwise why mention it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

This post on a Ukrainian FB page appears to be inviting those already here studying or planning to study in Ukraine to avail of the generous benefits here .

And this gift from the Ireland on the topics of Ukraine, who are planning to study

in this way.

I Save this post, as important 

️Mostan Pay Support ProgramThis program covers the training meeting and provides a monthly scholarship of 1.150 euros for students who have received temporary protection and are studying in state higher education institutions.

Derello: Ukraine Student Fees and Financial Support Update

S.S.S. Ireland of Ireland International Education Scholarships .

The program offers 60 scholarships, which include a full tuition fee waiver and an additional €10,000 for living expenses. These are scholarships for students studying in 1-year master's programs or in the first year of doctoral studies. 

Source: Government of Ireland Scholarships | UCD Global 

Other resources for finding scholarships in Ireland: 

Study in Ireland: information platform on studying in Ireland for foreign students. Study in Ireland - Education in Ireland 

Irish Council for International Students, providing information on scholarships and financial support for international students in Ireland Irish Council for International Students

The gov.ie website: a page on the official government portal of Ireland for students from Ukraine 

UCD Global website: the website of University College Dublin, which contains information about various scholarship programs in UCD available to international students, including students from Ukraine 

In which country are you currently studying

Labour shortages can be addressed by legal immigration.These are usually for employment with skills why immigrants can have higher education than nationals .

Do we really need to allow in false asylum seekers just to fill a void in the minimum wage sector.They will after time find it more attractive to be on welfare and the cycle continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Here it is in a nutshell, it's never your experience, always someone else's. A poster who lives in a town and mentions that immigration has had some negative effects will get the usual reply of "I drove through that town last Tuesday and it was grand" or "my friends second cousin lived in that town and said its great".

As for the teacher friend, yes a few different cultures in a classroom enhance education for all children when it's balanced and immigrant children worldwide generally seem to be better at picking up languages. The problem is when a class of 12 becomes a class of 32 overnight and those 20 new additions are at varying stages of development. The local student who has trouble reading or with math's and got a bit of extra time from Ms Kelly doesn't stand much chance when Ms Kelly now has to manage 20 new arrivals with little or no English, a chaotic home life and parents with very little interest in integrating.

So immigration can be enriching but it also has negatives and the constant refrain that people who point these out are insular or close minded is wearing thin.

The great mind reader has spoken your negative assumptions are worthless.

Post edited by rgossip30 on

Post edited by rgossip30 on

The suggestion seems to be that there are 'too many' workers in the country. Reduce those numbers and you end up with a smaller economy and less money to go around (but with the exact same number of inactive people and those on social welfare).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Im a big fan of less is more in the right context. And less people adding to the economic machine thats Ireland inc, which is destroying us Socially & destroying the environment can only be a good thing.

We arent thinking of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah again with the racism trope.. It's really tired at this stage.

Firstly, no one thinks that sending all migrants back (even if : A - it were possible, and B - anyone actually said that) will somehow magically solve all this country's problems, BUT.... it would certainly help to ease the pressure and demands on our finite resources if those who have no legitimate reason be here were sent home/back to wherever they arrived from for a start.

Step 2 then would be reviewing the groups like Ukrainians and their "entitlements" (which are most definitely a draw for them and the aforementioned others as has been evidenced many times) - something the Government HAS actually, if belatedly done.

As for this other often repeated appeal to emotionalism regarding warzones... It's again been shown many times on this thread that only a (comparatively) small area of what is the vast country of Ukraine is involved in the fighting and that there are large areas to the west where tourism and life continues more or less as normal.. Is it COMPLETELY normal? No, but that's no different to when we had the Troubles in the North with far too many reports on the news here of bombings or murders or the occasional incident outside of the normal areas. We just got on with things as best we could just as they are in western Ukraine and elsewhere in the country.

Finally, moderate thinkers (which I'm glad to hear you acknowledge rather than the meaningless screeching of "far right" that's echoing in the media, from certain politicians, and some on this thread) don't need "racists" to influence them - indeed, moderates by definition would be against racism in principle! HOWEVER, they are not blind to the effects a surge in refugees and economic migrants is having on the previously mentioned finite resources of this country and local communities, nor are they blind to the social issues that are arising as a result, and they are most certainly concerned about all this and the long term implications for their own families, communities and the country as a whole.

That's not racism, xenophobia, or any other -ism some might care to distract with. It is in fact good citizenship.. To take an active interest in the politics, economics and social affairs of one's country and to speak up/out when things are happening that you don't agree with - as is our democratic right and indeed responsibility!

SO LONG AS that engagement remains peaceful and civil it should be actively encouraged. As a nation we are often far too passive in these areas (what I call the "ah shure it'll be grand" attitude!) and it's largely the same reason WHY we find ourselves in these situations now. As an electorate we need to get more involved in the oversight of how the country is run on our behalf by engaging (constructively) with the political process and ensuring that concerns or opinions are heard.

But, your last paragraph is actually correct - the Government aren't helping the situation by allowing the crises that have arisen out of these long standing issues to continue.

Of course, you need to remember that it's also the Government who've created these in the first place. 10 years of FG politics has largely sold off whatever property we had while enriching the owners, and it's a FG minister who is cheerleading the attempts to silence debate on these issues (through her imminent "hurt feelings" legislation), and a FG taoiseach who has shown time and again that he has no political ideology or red-lines beyond popularising whatever he thinks will be good for his own image, career and personal bucket list - which includes subservience to his/our "betters" in Europe, no matter the consequences to those here at home that he and they are actually supposed to be representing!

We actually depopulated like this in the early to mid 2010s, but it was accompanied by deep recession and high unemployment. If people either leave the country or you stop them coming, it's nearly always going to involve young, hard working tax payers i.e. the most productive people in any society.

This post makes zero sense!

Reducing pressure on stretched-to-breaking-point services and infrastructure will somehow make things worse? How do you come to that conclusion?

As for the claim of a smaller economy and less money in people's pockets, I think you are (possibly deliberately) confusing several issues there.

Firstly, no one has a problem with sustainable, robust and legal economic migration so long as it is beneficial to the economy, the migrant AND the locals. I challenge you to show any post that says differently!

This policy worked quite well in the run up to the Tiger years and even through that crazy period for a time - until again the lack of controls and oversight led to disastrous consequences (much as the current immigration situation has in fact).

What's the common denominator? Poor political decisions and the shouting down of anyone who voices concerns (remember Bertie's infamous statement about naysayers?) until it's too late!

Ah the idea that immigration is going to lead to a utopia in whatever country it touches (complete with anecdote that is expected to be taken at face value - yet if someone posted the exact opposite anecdote it would be hotly disputed), and that anyone who disagrees is somehow backwards or just more stupid than the rest - haven't heard this one for a while!

Of course it's a complete fantasy (wishful thinking at best). You only need to look around at the current situation in the country for both locals and refugees/migrants alike, read the steadily increasing reports of clashes and problems that have arisen, or look to our nearest neighbours for where this all leads in order to realise that even positive things like (controlled and robust) immigration can spiral into the negative if one isn't careful.

As I've said before, ideology and even well-intentioned wishful thinking never comes out well when it runs into that hard wall of reality.

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

excellent post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Thought anecdotes were banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Probably only banned when they counter the official narrative.

If they support the narrative, then i suspect they are perfectly ok and deemed "evidence".

The reason people have more money in their pocket and we are running a budget surplus is because we have a record workforce total (around 2.7m) and record unemployment. Take several hundred thousand taxpayers out of the economy and you immediately have less money to go around (smaller tax take) but with the exact same number of inactive people and those on social welfare.

So yes, this reduces pressure on housing and infrastructure, but the trade off is lower standard of living for all. The one way depopulation could work well would be to reduce the number of inactive people and those on social welfare, but that is not even an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

It isn't the thousands of taxpayers that need to be taken out, it is the thousands of economic migrants claiming to be IPA applicants, many of whom have destroyed their documents; if having a growing population was the key determinant of progress, Zimbabwe would be a great spot, we should focus on GDP per capita, plus the reason we are running a surplus has more to do with our ability to take advantage of global tax rules than the number of minimum wage employees we have in the takeaway food industry

Recessions are not a result of a lower population growth but are the cause . There is less opportunity less jobs less reason for migrants to come . Taking in so many refugees and asylum seekers will drain the economy and will prove dire if a recession occurs .

The lads above have already replied to you on this but even my post addresses this and the others I made above...

Legal sustainable migration that benefits the country, the natives and the migrant isn't an issue - so long as those migrants have skills we need, so long as there are jobs for them, and so long as they contribute and integrate to our society and economy.

The issue is huge numbers of unskilled/unvetted refugees, asylum seekers and economic migrants posing as one of these 2 groups (which is also why you cannot separate them in any discussion of the topic as a whole). These groups are the issue and while yes, we should try to help those we can, such help must only be what we can realistically manage and completely under our control. We have no history of colonisation or exploitation to "make up" for, no fault in the problems in their homelands, and no obligation to take in any and all who arrive at our door.

Where welfare is concerned, we do need to tackle those on welfare who WON'T engage (natives and others alike!) but that's a separate issue for another thread, however adding thousands upon thousands of refugees to that (already massively expensive) system, unemployable (without our assistance first) economic migrants, or asylum seekers making appeal after appeal until they are just allowed stay anyway certainly doesn't help matters, recession or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

How ‘temporary’ are these refugee centres in isolated rural areas? You seem to be in the know when the people who actually live in these rural areas are told nothing and kept in the dark. Have local people been told that the centres are ‘temporary’.

So how long will refugees be kept in these ‘temporary’ centres and where will they go when it’s time to move on? You seem to know more than the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

They won’t be temporary. How can they be if Roddy expects 15,000 a year now. In fact there will be more I suspect.

The truth of course is that the vast majority will be going nowhere - several have even admitted this in interviews with the press. They're here to make a better life for themselves, which is all fine and all EXCEPT that then they aren't refugees, they're economic migrants and should be dealt with as such.

Even those who are told to move on/go home generally don't and it's all undermined anyway when McEntee has one of her Citizenship ceremonies and hands away Irish rights as if they were cereal prizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Absolutely, And please explain how uncapped refugees & asylum seekers rammed into every town in the country is of benefit to us all?

Because the one’s im seeing allot arent far away from pension age & the rest i doubt they’ll work for min wage & pay all the bill’s & taxes Irish people are paying.

Plus the wages they’ll earn with all due respect will be so low they won’t be able to buy a family home here!

So what will they do? Exactly what low skilled Irish people do, and be better off on Welfare.

Advertisement