Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

One measure of misogyny is the rate at which females are selectively aborted. When it comes to that, Hindus and Sikhs are worse than Muslims and Christians:

https://thewire.in/women/india-missing-girls-sex-ratio-infanticide-pew-analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

And this is relevant to Hamas raping and sexually torturing women because? Or is it just another deflection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭dmcdona

And IDF raping and sexually torturing women? I think focusing on Hamas alone is the deflection.

It has been said here many times - IDF and Hamas are as bad as each other. By continually calling out Hamas as the only bad guys is disingenuous. Balance is important.

But in the middle of all this, at least 21,000 Palestinian civilians and 1200 Israelis have paid for it with their lives.

I think the poster was calling out misogyny in other countries because the original post talked about Palestinian hatred of women. That was a very sweeping statement and unbalanced. It wasn't a deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"It has been said here many times - IDF and Hamas are as bad as each other." That doesn't make it true. Repeating a lie is the current social media technique though for making it believable.

IDF are bad. Hamas is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

So, just Hamas? or are you including all Palestinian men here in your statement?

Hamas. If you're capable, read the link provided. Might have to remove the parental controls first

• Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's unclear if Hamas have a particular problem with women. It's believed that around 25% of people killed on October 7th were female - the fact that any were murdered at all is an outrage obviously, but it doesn't necessarily point to them being targeted because of their gender. At least 40 OAPs were murdered, suggesting those doing the killing were shooting at literally anyone they came across.

Far from unclear. Screamingly obvious. Shooting women in the back of the head after raping them seems like a problem with women. Posting videos about it too. As was the mutilation of the genitals. And the orders from their commanders to rape: " the Shin Bet security service has released recordings of at least two investigations of Nukhba terrorists who were asked whether they had been given specific orders to abuse women and children. Referring to the sex crimes, one of them said that the aim was “to soil them, to rape them"

(https://archive.is/RIfq0)

Too bad the UN dragged its heels condemning this. But, of course, Israel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

But I was quoting the other poster's bit and wondering what HE meant.

In what way are women and children in Gaza responsible for any of the above? And yet the regime and its supporters seem totally to be using those events as justification for the onslaught against Gazan civilians.

Most of the posters here that abhor the mass slaughter of innocent civilians in Gaza equally condemn the abhorrent actions of Hamas.

It seems to me that posters who "support" the actions of Israel are incapable of a balanced view. Your recent posts on the rapes perpetrated on October 7th seem to point to the fact that Hamas hate women, they are monsters, and that the UN are to blame for dragging their heals in condemning these actions.

So, on the basis of a balanced view, do you condemn IDF rape of Palestinians? I posted a link to the Safsaf massacre. Here's another link:

Do you condemn IDF rape of Palestinians? Do you accept that IDF and Hamas, as regards rape, are as culpable as each other? Or not?

The Palestinian women are not being treated very well by the Israelis.

The OP I initially replied to, hasn't condemned Hamas at all, as far as I can tell from its posting history. Started out on 13 Oct decrying Israel's behaviour, not a peep about Hamas.

I condemn the actions of Hamas in this war that they initiated. I always have.

As for the 1948 atrocities, if indeed rapes happened (though, it doesn't seem like they were part of the policy of the IDF at the time, that's no excuse but rape is indeed part of Hamas's policy as I showed in the article above.) And shooting defenseless prisoners is indeed a war crime, something Hamas has in abundance in the war they initiated. Interesting that Israel has spent a fair amount of time investigating these allegations - will Hamas do the same for their rapists? I can answer that for you: NO.

Do you equally condemn massacres of Israelis in 1948? There are known to have been several:

IDF prosecutes rapists in their ranks. Hamas cheers them on. I'd say Hamas are far more culpable, despite what some Rabbis might say. As awful as it sounds, it seems like if IDF has raped Palestinian women, they weren't slaughtered afterwards. Unlike by Hamas.

Note the term from the article about the rapes by Hamas. They used 'soil them.' WTF is that? Some medieval bullsh1t phrase, gives you a pretty good idea where their thinking is at, though I doubt any of use needed to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I think one poster here a few hundred pages back said we "shouldn't focus on Hamas." Would have to dig it up.

In what way were the women and children of Berlin (a city which suffered nearly nightly air raids in the latter stages of WWII) responsible for the actions of their government between 1938-1945?

The raids on Hamburg and Dresden are now understood to have constituted war crimes and to have been militarily unnecessary.

The Allies didn't just bomb Hamburg and Dresden. Bombing raids over German cities were a nightly occurrence in the latter parts of WWII.

From the above, I'll take it that you do not condemn IDF rapes.

As for "if indeed rapes happened", and "weren't slaughtered afterwards", are you really cutting IDF some slack?

And as for Hamas not investigating - IDF investigated Safsaf but the report was never released. Sounds the same as "not investigating" to me.

So, I'll assume you'll continue to point out Hamas atrocities without acknowledging IDF atrocities and avoid taking a balanced view.

For Palestinian deaths in general, prior to the current conflict, the death ratio of Palestinians to Israelis was 22:1. For every Israeli killed, 22 Palestinians have been killed.

On the current conflict, the ratio is about 18:1.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

More calls for ethnic cleansing from government ministers

"Israel should discuss the revival of civilian settlements within the Gaza Strip as part of its planning for the enclave once Hamas rule is toppled, Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said Saturday night, while denying that any of Gaza’s approximately 2 million residents were innocent and calling for Israel to “encourage voluntary emigration” from the territory.

Speaking to Channel 12 news, the leader of the hard-right Religious Zionism party also doubled down on his refusal to transfer tax payments to the Palestinian Authority over concerns that the money will find its way to Gaza, sloughing off reported pressure from the United States on the matter and pushing back against insinuations that he and others had propped up Hamas as a convenient foil.

We will be in security control, and we will need there to be civil [control],” Smotrich said. “I’m for completely changing the reality in Gaza, having a conversation about settlements in the Gaza Strip… We’ll need to rule there for a long time… If we want to be there militarily, we need to be there in a civilian fashion.”

Under pressure from Smotrich, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday canceled a scheduled war cabinet debate on shaping post-war Gaza, and said he would hold the discussion instead in the larger security cabinet. Smotrich is not a member of the tight-knit war cabinet, but he and fellow far-right leader Itamar Ben Gvir, minister of national security, do sit in the security cabinet.

We want to encourage willful emigration, and we need to find countries willing to take them in,” he said.

In an Army Radio interview on Sunday morning, Smotrich returned to that point: “We need to encourage immigration from there. If there were 100,000-200,000 Arabs in the Strip and not two million, the whole conversation about the day after [the war] would be completely different,” he said. “They want to leave. They have been living in a ghetto for 75 years and are in need.”

He also told Army Radio: “I don’t think there’s anyone in Israel who doesn’t want to see Jewish settlements everywhere.”"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hm

"Smotrich said he still agreed with and repeated a quote from a 2015 interview in which he said, “In the game of delegitimization… the Palestinian Authority is a burden and Hamas is an asset.” He claimed that the quote had been intentionally misinterpreted by critics as him saying the terror group was positive for Israel."

In many cases, military installations were frequently the target and not civilians per se. What marked Dresden out in particular is that there no military targets of note and the city was full of refugees - the Allies knew full well they were bombing a civilian city i.e. the civilians themselves were the target.

And I agree that specifically targeting civilians is bad, and shouldn't happen. But Israel has a terrible problem in how to focus on Hamas given both the population density of Gaza and the propensity of Hamas for disguising themselves as civilians and using human shields. It is nevertheless true though that Hamas is the government of Gaza, and have a similar relationship with the territory as other belligerents in more "symmetrical" wars throughout history.

The Allies in WWII for example bombed Berlin just about every night and many other cities across Germany. Same in Japan. That likely wasn't fun for the civilians who lived in those cities, but it had been an accepted part of war especially after the Blitzkreig.

I only want Israel to be held to the same standard as for example the WWII Allies - i.e. permitted to do whatever they have to do to target Hamas people and capabilities, and protect their own people. Which as we saw on New Years, is still a pressing need.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I only want Israel to be held to the same standard as for example the WWII Allies 

By that rational you'd be fine with the dropping a nuke on gaza? Because the US did that twice in WW2.

What the allies did to germany and japan was horrific. They firebombed cities. They couldn't manage to target anyone so they targeted entire cities. What they did was certainly a warcrime but because they won with unconditional surrenders, they were never prosecuted. They used actual nuclear weapons on cities filled with civilians. I realise that at this point, someone will reply with "but what about germany/japan". I'm not saying they were saints. I'm not saying they were blameless. they were horrific regimes who caused untold suffering. That doesn't mean it's ok to bomb a city filled with civilians. Especially when it made very little difference to the war effort.

The firebombing of german cities was so bad that civilians died in bunkers because the air was sucked out. In some bunkers bodies weren't even found because the air was super heated and they could only estimate how many people were killed based on the quantity of ash they found on the floor of the bunker. Civilians outside were found sticking out of the roads because it was so hot it caused roads to melt and their bodies sank into the road. The allies dropped delayed fuse bombs to hit first responders.

In hamburg in one night, 18,000 people were killed. There was a firestorm that covered 21 square kilometers, went 300ft into the air, had 240km winds and temperatures of 800c.

That's the standard you want for israel? Because I'm not sure you know how bad the allies were in WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I don't think people were or are in favour of what the Saudis are doing in Yemen or what Assad has done in Syria, and have marched against thise perpetrated those crimss. Do people selectively decide what they want to get upset about? Yes definitely. You can even see this in this thread where people will deplore the killings on 7 October and say nought about the killings of kids in the last two months.

Plus they don't appreciate that the killings and crimes have been going on for many years at a ratio of 22;1and didn't just start on Oct 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

They have been pretty clear in their position I suppose. Innocents must decide until Israel decides it is done, and they will support them whatever happens.

Only the innocents on one side matter. The others are just collateral damage it seems.

• Advertisement

Seriously? Rapes from 75 years ago matter as much as what went on in October? Sheesh. Pointless to debate with such but whatever. I do condemn IDF rapes.

Will Hamas be investigating their own policy being executed? What do you think? I doubt it. Do you allege rape is part of IDF policy? And mutilation, too?

The killings as part of the war will stop when Hamas returns the hostages and stops shooting rockets.

Advertisement