Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I think I'm on the same side of this argument as you GreeBo. Mary Lou and SF are absolutely clueless here. I was just pointing out that there are properties in Dublin for the value that ML plucked out of the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well its the sort of detail that is kinda important isn't it?

I'll get "hung up" based on what they tell me they are going to do. If they mean (har har) median then say median. If they dont know the difference then that just further reduces their credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Erm, are we going to have to explain what an average is?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Bit of back tracking there so, but at least you are making progress, you now accept that Covid has significantly affected house building.

Covid certainly caused disruption in intake of trades people into training courses and without doubt led to the permanent loss of many construction workers from the industry, either due to taking jobs in other sectors, emigration etc. Was that the governments fault, can they force people onto construction sites? Of course not.

The government also cannot force developers to build houses if costs make in uneconomic to do so. There is also no way that this government could have set up a State controlled development company in the timeframe of this government to deliver the houses you think should have been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

What is it that you like about the government policy?

What have they done that has increased the supply of housing in Ireland?

Is there anything you'd change or improve about their policies? Any area you think they are weak on?

And where did SF say they're going to create a national housing company, I may have missed that?

• Advertisement

To a Sinn Fein follower, yes you probably will have to. Basic math is clearly not an area of interest or experience.

I'm not backtracking at all, where are you getting that from?

Of course Covid impacted housing, as I've always acknowledged, just not to the degree that it can be used as an excuse for how far behind we are.

The government can't force people into IT and pharma either, but it does heavily incentivize training and conversion courses. Why hasn't it done the same for construction? Why are apprentices on 8euro an hour and getting charged college fees on top?

I appreciate costs have risen, as they have for many other industries but this itself isn't making housing unaffordable. I'm not up on the latest figures but I believe up to just a few years ago, construction costs, namely materials and labor, only made up about 1/3 of a house price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The average is pretty meaningless without looking at the spread anyway. Most housing markets are relatively normally distributed but with some positive skewing, meaning the median price will be lower than the mean. Still not enough to bring the median to 300k in a Dublin context, but I stand to be corrected here. A 300k average with a focus on more 3 bed semis at 110 to 120sq m is not achievable because the lower end of the distribution is simply too high in cost.

Have you considered that young people may not be interested in construction jobs? Are IT and pharma undergraduates being paid €8 per hour during their studies?

On the one hand you claim to understand the significant disruption directly caused byCovid, and legacy problems it continues to have on the construction sector, but you won’t acknowledge that it severely hampered the delivery of new housing during the term of this particular government. I am not confident that your understanding is as comprehensive as you think it is. I have recently finished a construction project on my own home, every single one of the tradesmen said they are having great difficulty getting workers since Covid, all complained about the continuing cost of materials and the concern about not getting paid, which seems to be increasing as costs have risen, leading to them being selective about who they work for, and do work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Advertisement

I know them not being interested in construction jobs is part of it. I believe a lot of younger people are put off it because they've seen so many in the generation before having to emigrate after the last crash. Yet here we are in a similar (hopefully not so severe) boom to bust cycle.

I can't speak for Pharma but I believe IT pays Software Apprentices far more than 8 euro an hour.

And there's been all sorts of pathways developed for people to switch careers with paid one-year conversion courses.

Skills shortages didn't start with Covid by a long-shot. Maybe the workers you met were just using that as a reference point? Here's an article from 2014 talking about shortages. Yet 10 years later there have been no incentives to attract more people to the area.

https://www.thejournal.ie/construction-report-30-increase-2018-1333087-Feb2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's funny how people think all our housing issues are the fault of "FFG".

Yet the same problems are being seen pretty much everywhere around the world.

Does that not tell people anything about the roots of the issues and the likely feasibility of a quick-fix as is being proposed by SF?

Ah c’mon, Ireland was just coming out of a recession during which many construction workers had emigrated when that article was written.

If anything, it reinforces my point that this Government is not responsible for people not wanting to work on sites anymore. There are now better paid, more stable and indoor jobs which are more appealing. Again, you can’t make a kid who wants to work in IT be a block layer, no matter how you incentivise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm not sure what their plan would be to achieve reducing property prices, but any sort of government incentive would need to be protected from gouging at the other end. Something the government has made no attempt to solve in the past, just look at any of the energy grants/incentives and you'll get the idea. I work closely with the public sector and one thing I've noticed was out of all the office based jobs civil servants were back in the office full time or close to full time post Covid. The public service employs around 15% of the population and could do with decentralisation/enhanced remote working to allow people to move out of the Dublin area.

We see the housing crisis as one problem but it's actually just a symptom of other issues like poor planning, NIMBYism, ineffective governance, and good old fashioned cronyism. The fact that you contact your TD instead of a local councillor to sort a local issue says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

As a population we're apartment averse and I'm not surprised given the shocking quality of apartments built during the Celtic Tiger years and post 2008 crash. Medium to high density apartments that are suitable for families should be considered around transit areas like train/luas/dart stops and main bus thoroughfares.

Things had picked up quite a bit in 2014. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/irish-economy-surges-ahead-with-4-8-growth-in-2014-1.2136685

I'm sure there are plenty of articles around construction skills shortages between 2014 and 2020 too but feel free to google that yourself.

Yes trade jobs don't offer the best pay. Even though it's not bad. I'd personally think a lack of job-security and job-progression options are a bigger issue.

These are factors which could be countered with government measures but again.... nothing.

As for IT being preferable to Construction. I'm not so sure. It's not for everyone. Back when I did a conversion course to IT during the crash there were plenty of lads coming from construction who would have given anything to go back to site work.

Every so often I think of a career change myself but rule out construction immediately because of that lack of job security.

This is the obvious solution for Dublin. My brother in law rents a 3 bed apartment in Lisbon, which is larger in sq metres than my Dublin 3 bed semi d. There are 6 floors of apartments in the block, with 2 apartments on each floor. Those 2 units taken up a similar ground space to 3 or 4 semi d houses (at a guess).

He is a 5 or 10 minute walk from a metro, and less than 30 minutes walk to the city centre.

Dublin is designed so badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I can understand the average person not understanding the difference between "median" and "average", however, I would expect the leader of the opposition to know the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

IT and pharma undergraduates are being paid €0 per hour during their studies. Most courses now have a significant component of unpaid intern work. Much better off financially to be an apprentice.

Quoting myself here, and I'm not doing the full maths, but if 79% of properties for sale in Dublin today have asking prices greater than €300k then it is going to take economic policies that would make Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng look like Nobel prize winners to bring the average cost of a Dublin house to €300,000.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you think remote working will resolve the issues around decentralisation then you're very much mistaken.

Many established workers don't want to move away from large urban areas where their kids are in school or college and they have all the clubs, amenities, social circles, etc. close by. Why would they want to move at all?

There is also the issue of new entrants being taken on and not having someone to guide or help them with any issues. It won't take long for them to feel lost and they'll up sticks and move to another employer. This is a key reason why many employers are opposed to remote working.

Then you'll have the same issues as before where once it us announced that a particular department will be moving staff to a town, property prices in that town jump up (ignoring the fact that the availability of properties equal to what the worker already owned in Dublin will be much lower).

Naturally, some will be content being able to move but not enough to justify a widespread adoption of the policy.

The last attempt at decentralisation was a crap proposal put forward by a FF/PD government to distract from a crap budget (and it did a fairly good job at that!).

Isn’t decentralisation with remote working, just remote working?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No, because most public sector employees (AFAIK) have a mix of in-office and remote days. I don't think 100% remote work is a thing.

So if you decentralise a department to Letterkenny, then everyone working there needs to be able to get to Letterkenny 3 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,838 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wouldn't.

What's the point of people being pedantic about whether gobs1te politician X said whatever. I think the bigger picture is whether the price for the "average house" could indeed be lower if the politicians - whoever they might be - got their act together and addressed the problem properly with a medium-long term view of overall society.

True, I think there's also the context of this article and common understanding of the term average.

It's quite clear what the article was about and what SF intentions are, namely to make new houses available at circa 300k in Dublin.

Any effort to catch up Mary Lou on her use of the term just looks very much like distraction to me.

Just pointing out that it was tried in a different era.

I don't think a switch to remote working will in itself allow decentralization.

But remote working can take some of the pressure off everyone needing to live within, or so close to the major urban centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If you read EOB plan, it does not mean that house prices in Dublin will fall to 300k.

The plan implies that the State will sell new houses, with subsidies and restrictions on sale, to a subset of buyers, for about 300k.

Does this mean that the prices of all other similar houses will fall to 300k? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The answer to this question is yes.

If demand was restricted and/or the costs of supplying were cut, then, yes, the seliing prices of new houses can be lower.

Advertisement