Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Is there any rumours on the console itself? Form factor, handheld/cradle etc?

I don't think people play Nintendo games for the graphics. They just need to be good enough and the current switch is still regarded as good enough even on a 4k TV.

I think any new console is going to have to have something new to the form factor. I've no idea what that would entail because the current portable/cradle works so well it's hard to see how it can improve. But I think they need something innovative to get people to upgrade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thanks. Interesting about the tech, though I'd still maintain there's the agent of chaos that is Nintendo itself. They tend not to "just" make a new console but with more stuff - but no idea where you take things having hot gold with the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Remember the past few console releases by Nintendo plus handheld were under the late Iwata so the new management may try and go with the stick with what works but better approach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd be very surprised it isn't another hybrid console. The unified development pipeline must be a godsend for Nintendo, and it's what keeps it unique from the competition. It's been a slam dunk for them.

Never put it past Nintendo to have a 'gimmick', but I'll be surprised - pleasantly or otherwise! - if they don't go with a straightforward iterative upgrade this time around, something they haven't done since the Gamecube / GBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think their next release will still definitely be backwards compatible with the OG Switch given the base that the Switch has, but I also think they'll release something which will be more than a mid-gen refresh. The OLED was essentially a mid-gen upgrade even if it didn't do much in terms of performance.

I imagine it'll be something akin to but more significant than the jump from the DS to the 3DS. Essentially a Switch 2 but maybe some new feature incorporated into it, along with under-the-hood performance upgrades, while still being able to fully play Switch 1 games etc. I mean look at what the Steamdeck and similar are able to do in terms of performance. While Nintendo have never needed to have the best graphics or resolutions or anything, the performance boosts and what that may enable them to be able to achieve in terms of game engines and realising new ideas would surely be worth it, again given that they could still keep full Switch functionality to retain much of that base too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If it's not backwards compatable with the Switch, they'll kill interest in the crib; it wont' be the defining aspect of any new console but speaking from my own PoV and projecting outwards, I'd have zero interest in a new Nintendo console that wouldn't let me move my old indie collection into the new ecosystem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Steam Deck's performance I think is a good guide to both the potential benefits and limitations of a likely next-gen Switch. Steam Deck runs a lot of modern games and engines pretty well, including some Unreal Engine 5 games - so a testament to a new-gen of chipset. But you definitely also see the limitations, especially when outputting at higher than the handheld screen's 720p and when it comes to some next-gen only titles. Power limits are always going to be a killer in a handheld machine when upscaling, so it'll be interesting if they put anything extra in a dock (assuming there is a dock). The SD is also a lot more expensive than a Switch (although the OG model's closer now post-OLED), and comes without a dock. So if Nintendo hit something akin to SD performance on a €300-350 machine, that'll be pretty impressive - and if there's some more modern upscaling support in there, that'll be a nice bonus.

Storage space will be interesting, as realistically it'll need to have something substantial to be able to house modern games. But then if Nintendo has a Mario Kart or Animal Crossing up its sleeve, none of the tech specs will really matter for most people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They've made an official statement saying that purchases from the store will carry over. Think we will be ok there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The new Switch will most likely be €400 here to start. I'll be getting one anyway as Switch has had the best collection of games since launch compared to any console.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I really struggled to find anything outside of the Zelda games.

• Advertisement

Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Mario and Rabbids, Octopath Traveller, Super Smash, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Mario Wonder, BOTW, TOTK and Luigi's Mansion.

I'm probably missing tonnes more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Metroid Prime remastered, Metroid Dredd, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Super Mario Maker 2, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 4 ...Splatoon ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd also add the 99 battle Royale games that have been universally excellent. Had a lot of fun with F-zero 99 this Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I also forgot the billion pound gorilla that is the Pokémon games 😁 but I don't play those. My daughter is a big fan.

Also the Xenoblade games ...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/750130/view/3860212413458278274?l=english

Frogware finally won out against Nacon and is now the only publisher for The Sinking City.

If anyone didn't follow this, after a dispute with Nacon, Nacon started attempting to publish pirated copies of the game via Steam.

It's also now on sale for moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good for them! I remember something that certain copies money would go to decs and others would go to nacon. There was a next gen version released but not sure if that was the one where Nacon got a piece. Really interesting looking game, always meant to give it a go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yeah, the devs published and earned from certain versions like the EA store one, but Nacon controlled the Steam one, and thus controlled the vast majority over revenue from it.

Yeah. Zelda aside none of them do anything for me unfortunately. The Switch is great for kids.

It's great for people that like good videogames. It's not just for kids.

• Advertisement

Sorry didnt mean that to sound twatty.

Ive always been a Nintendo guy, as opposed to Sega/Sony etc but the Xbox games appeal to me now. The Switch games are aimed at a market far too young for me.

When people are recommending Animal Crossing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

Does anyone use, or has anyone used, a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2? They're very old and out of production, but hardcore flight simmers seem to still really like them on the games that still support them (not MSFS, but DCS World, IL 2 Sturmovik and X-Plane with an addon). Supposedly very well built, there are still many being sold on Ebay, but often in excess of a hundred euro these days.

It's a pity that a patent troll essentially killed the market for FFB joysticks.

That said, just bought Limbo, Sniper Elite and Snooker 19 in the sale. All in for 16 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

Recently moved and have a very fast internet connection and a new LG TV that had Geforce Now built in so thought I'd give it a go. My only previous attempt at streaming was Microsoft's Gamepass streaming to my phone and the quality was pretty horrendous, but thought I'd see how this one compares. They advertise a free tier but it was "full" when I tried to sign up, so I just chanced it and bought the top tier to check it out.

Getting into a game was a mess. I couldn't get into any gamepass games because Microsoft decided it was suspicious behaviour and rather than sending an authentication mail to the email address my account was set up on it sent it to my recovery address that I don't believe they have ever sent anything to since I first set it up on my Xbox 360 about 15 years ago. Needless to say this was an old, now dead, college email. I had to fix it up manually with Microsoft, but for security reasons they force a 30 day wait for it to update, meaning I can't try most of the games I was going to try when giving Geforce now a go.

So, with that out of the way the next task was navigating the UI where "my library" didn't offer a way to filter out the xbox games and only show me my steam games, but working around that I tried a few. I don't have much in the way of steam games because PC gaming is always a pain in the arse compared to consoles, a trait Geforce Now was also living up to. Tried Rocket League as it was listed free to play, but was bombarded with dialog boxes too small to read before it crashed. Beam NG also crashed. Witcher 3 brought me to a steam library page which said the game wasn't installed and needed to download. Baldur's Gate 3 warned me about cloud save syncing and seemed to be threatening to wipe out my existing save so I quit that one. Finally got into Teardown which was the one game that ran, but it did run beautifully.

As I didn't have much else in the way of compatible games on Steam I decided to sign up to the Ubisoft Plus subscription which supposedly had good integration, and in this case it ran like a dream. Ended up putting 3 or 4 hours into Assassin's Creed Mirage. Great game, and it ran perfectly at 4k and 60FPS, don't think a single frame was dropped, never noticed any input lag whatsoever, and the whole experience felt like it was just running on a local console. This was all on wifi too, no need to connect an ethernet cable to the TV. It's just a shame it took so much effort, and subscribing to an extra service, to get to that point.

I considered buying some more games on Steam to try it out but it's just a pain jumping back and forth between the two - from Steam you're not told anything about compatibility of course, and from Geforce Now you're not given any kind of curation like review scores or what's popular in order to seek out what's good out of the games supported on the service.

It seems they've built stunningly good streaming tech and haven't built the basics around it to make it compelling. If the subscription included games rather than you having to go and buy them in other stores it would be so much more compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'll be interested to see if Nintendo continues to support both the switch and its successor even if only briefly given the amount of switches in existence currently.

I'm really hoping whatever comes next stays loyal to the Nintendo formula and doesn't become a catch up type console made specifically to play COD, FIFA, Assassins Creed, Baldurs Gate 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

they have done in the past? twilight princess being a standout example in my head where the game was on gamecube and wii at release?

TBH I can't think of any console where support was cut off immediately on release of the new console - even WiiU got Breath of the Wild, and that was wildly unsuccessful hardware.

There'll almost certainly be some Switch games for a little while after the new console releases. But given the obvious hardware limitations of the Switch, I'm sure a lot of developers - especially third-party ones - will be relieved to move on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭McFly85

I just hope the switch purchases are purely account based and I don’t need to go through any faff transferring my purchases to a new console.

If they announced that’s the case I’d probably trade in my switch soon after, done with SM wonder and have enough to play for a while!

They did an official statement that the Nintendo accounts will migrate so wouldn't worry there. I'm almost sure the switch/new switch stores will work like the PS4/ps5 where there's not much distinction between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, February is looking jam packed for me. Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth (24th Jan) is definitely on my list to get but not at launch. Great start to the year!

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remaster - 14th Feb

Open Roads - 22nd Feb

Pacific Drive - 22nd Feb

and the Daddy, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - 29th Feb

Advertisement