Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well, no… if you’re diving down so your hands/arms are at someone’s feet at ground level you’re doing a lot more than just existing.

Foot-on-foot contact or shoulder-to-shoulder type contact can sometimes be argued to be incidental - hand to foot contact on the ground can only really come from a failed challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

The sheer volume of games, is that the 6 extra in Europe???? You make it sound like they're playing matches every second day 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Compared to the first half of the season they were pretty much playing two games a week compared to one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't think it helped that Mike Dean immediately said that Jota took a pile of steps after before going down. Jota actually only took one step on his right foot after his left got clipped and then went down as he tried to plant his left again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Diazs' was a bit of a delayed reaction as well, he definitely takes a dive and could have played on. I'm kind of wondering what's the difference between the two, how much contact qualifies as a penalty?

Personally, I think Jota should get a yellow for diving but there is contact so..........

I wonder if Jota played on and scored, would the keeper get a yellow? Did the ref feel he had to give a yellow because he gave the penalty?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jota's was a dive, Diaz was definitely knocked off balance from the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

to be fair to them, it is tougher. you can't prepare for a game all week like you could last season, and it's natural that they can't replicate the intensity in its entirety.

it's no excuse, but there are legitimate reasons for their downturn. You need to be adaptable when you've Europe, and Howe simply hasn't been able to because all he has in his locker is a high intensity game.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Howe is never going to be an elite manager, I watched the Newcastle v Forest game last week & the tactic of Burns v Elanga was farcical. An U8 coach could see a high line with those 2 was a disaster, there were 3/4 instances of it where Elanga messed up but Howe did not change anything until the damage was done.

Last night, again he was lucky as with better finishing by Liverpool it could have been closer to 10 goals that they conceded.

Newcastle came 4th last season, spent over €150M in the summer & by Jan 13th they could be out of all competitions with no chance of Europe, even that conference league thing.

I would think the owners will leave it as is and then he will be fired at the end of the season. If Newcastle want to challenge for the league & CL then an elite manager is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I still don't understand why people in here are saying that any contact is considered to automatically be a foul?

Any definition of a foul that I read includes the words "that interferes with the active play of the game".

If there is contact that doesn't interfere with the active play of the game then it isn't a foul. If Jota needs to make himself dive, then there was no foul.

This isn't a case of both a dive and a foul because it can't be both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

The two penalties were dives last night. Referees need to be strong and cut out the nonsense and punish the culprits....but i dont see this happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The Jota penalty wasn't a penalty. He got away with it because of this mad VAR protocol that if the penalty is given, and there is any contact whatsoever, then there is enough doubt not to overturn.

But it is fascinating all the same.

Kane - smart

Saka - smart

Sterling - smart

Jota - ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’m surprised that incident is generating this much conversation.

The keepers elbow clearly catches Jotas foot and he is nowhere near getting the ball. What Jota does afterwards is irrelevant?

Jota is smart according to Liverpool fans/players.

Same for the rest of your list bar maybe Kane who gets a free pass from English commentators

No, because an elbow catching a foot is not de facto a foul.

If Jota can continue unimpeded then no foul actually occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

In fairness to the Newcastle fans they accepting it and not looking for a replay

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

If he stays on his feet a pen wouldn't been given. That's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

As a Pool fan, I would love a reply, we should have scored 10.

Shouldn't everyone just move on? Maybe they got that memo...

It evens itself out over a season.

😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

If he could stay on his feet he’d probably score.

The keeper commits himself, doesn’t get the ball, does get the player and disrupts his run. It’s a pretty straightforward call imo.

• Advertisement

Penalties have been an excercise in pantomime for 2+ decades. The performance of a player going down under minimal contact for the ref to be allowed point to the spot has been the default for years. All anyone really has a problem with here is Jota’s stage performance. A better fall of Kane/Saka/Bruno/Suarez’ quality and this is not even a conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Did they stop playing then or play another 12 minutes or so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Neville said klopp was sneaky in his transfer dealings last night, Jamie called him out and he backtracked a bit saying he admired it, but interesting choice of words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah come on. You're now pretending as if Jota couldn't possibly be convincing as he's not vested in the dark arts like those other players.

I think a dive is a dive, there's exaggerating contact and there's what Jota did. He's clearly not impeded at all, is just looking for the keeper to be punished and get the penalty. The same level of contact resulting in the same level of dive at the halfway line the player would be mocked. In this case he's being defended saying any contact is a penalty.

Fwiw the Diaz one was a clear penalty and the other side of the coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Newcastle could have been beaten by 10 last night, if they requested a reply that may happen 2nd time around. I doubt that within their best interests.

• Advertisement

Oh no that’s not at all the point I’m making. I’m not saying he’s some innocent or anything, I’m saying in reality the issue is not that the contact was not enough, but that his dive was crap. Under the same contact, if he had a better dive, I don’t think anyone would be having this conversation. It’s been a very long time since the contact actually needed to be enough to really bring someone down.

It’s both true that it was an easy pen to give - any time a keeper goes to ground, doesn’t get the ball and touches the man it’s pretty much nailed on - and also a dive. But let’s not pretend a dive (or rather, grossly exaggerating contact) is a rare thing. It stands out more here cause it looked shite. He should be mocked for his rubbish bit of diving. This type of contact - arm to foot - is still always a pen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I've looked at the video again. Jota does not take loads of steps.

His left foot is pushed and when he tries to put that foot down again he appears to be off balance and over he goes.

For me, that's a penalty as its the contact that has affected his balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But he did the moment he planted the foot down that was caught by the keeper is when he went down

I don't think exaggerating contact is necessarily a bad thing if you are actually impeded but I don't think Jota is impeded by the contact and just plain dives. He wasn't unbalanced at all from what I can see and throws himself down.

I get what you're saying about it not being convincing but isn't that the game? If it's not true you have to at least make it look like it's true. Otherwise it's just plainly not true and you should be punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jota dived.

Rashford engineered some contact for a peno not too long ago but it still had some fans defending it.

I long for the days where the bar was whether or not the physical challenge actually impeded you or had an effect in any way.

Defenders can get away with shoulder grabs, body checks etc on Salah all the time but he generally remonstrates with the ref and doesn't throw himself to the ground enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That Jota incident is one of the more unusual ones I've ever seen. It seems pretty clear that he could stay on his feet and tap it in if he wanted, but he just...doesn't. Bizarre. Its probably still a foul anyway

I slightly disagree. I think he's getting stick because it seems pretty clear that he could just tap the ball into an open net, but he goes down anyway.

Mike Dean said as there was contact VAR couldn't overturn it.

He went down because he dived, and to be honest it was a very blatant dive so I find I'm not much interested in anybody trying to warp physics and pretend it wasn't.

Yep that is the very high line the FA have set VAR, they have left those to the onfield ref, if there was no contact it would have been over turned. Same as it would not have gotten involved if the ref did not award the pen.

It was soft you try running at full speed have your back leg knocked and tell us what happens when you try to put that leg down next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Running at full speed back leg is elbowed plus you have a 6ft 3 man lunging into your path

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And that keeper then admitted it was a penalty.

As I posted earlier if you don't go down you don't get a penalty. Mane stayed on his feet in the below game and got nothing.

Your still shot says nothing, the full video is all over Youtube with closeups for whoever wants to see for themselves.

Just watch any rugby game when a player is running free and a defending player dives and claps ankles and see how long it takes for the attacking player to fall

That is what VAR will have seen, there is contact and because of the high standard the FA and Premier League have set they are not going to over turn it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

So what? Because it's a still it didn't happen?

A video is just a sequence of still shots (50 or 60 of them per second). There's a decent amount of contact in that one still that you can be sure his run was impeded. Whatever happens before and after is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The outrage over one penalty incident is a bit hard to believe. I wonder would this thread be as busy today if Liverpool were in the same spot in the table as this time last year? I doubt it.

I could watch rugby but I wouldn't see anything close to what happened with Jota. It's not hard to admit he dived.

He went down easy but when you a clipped at the ankle you are going to stumble, it hasn't been the softest penalty we have seen this season but lots of people seem to be crying about it more than any other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Personally I think the Diaz penalty was nailed on and shouldn't be a debate whatsoever, but it is because straight away Gary Neville started called Diaz a diver, a few times, and has framed that incident as such. Every viewer in the UK & Ireland now had that idea implanted in their head because Neville wanted it that way. When Mike Dean has to jump into commentary to tell you that you're wrong, then you need to look at yourself. When the Newcastle manager also says himself that it was a penalty, then you really have to take a look at it. Not surprised with Neville's sly digs though - pardon the pun given what he said later on that night.

The Jota one, I think it's soft. There is contact for sure but whether it's enough or bring the attacker down, well only the attacker knows really. I'd hate to see it given against my team, and I have done too and was annoyed at that. The fact that Jota didn't just pass the ball into the empty net (with his left foot) would suggest that there was enough contact (on his left foot) to suggest that he was off balance after being caught while moving at high speed. But again, only Jota really knows. He either felt the contact and went down very easily or else he genuinely was clipped enough to throw him off. It's not like the game was level when it happened. If it was, I would more than likely fall on the side of going down easy. Jota is staking a claim for a starting spot while Salah is gone to AFCON and hasn't been part of the team for a while. He shouldn't be saying no to a goal.

I'd have preferred if Liverpool were awarded the penalty for the blatant Odegaard handball last week as that was a nailed on penalty not given. But the mental gymnastics and excuses that referees and VAR wrap themselves in now to cover themselves is so stupidly annoying.

Nobody said there wasn't contact so you don't seem to have followed the conversation. Showing a still frame of the contact that nobody denied does not say a single thing worthwhile.

Watching the video shows the effect of the contact and the actions Jota took, and it is clear as day that he dived.

Talking about legs getting clipped at speed as if we haven't all seen thousands of tackles over the years is just inane. That dive was as legit as a City title win and its pretty obvious as far as I am concerned.

Jota didn't pass it into an empty net because they are trained to go down if there is contact. It was muscle memory.

Unfortunately it's not a muscle he's excercised much over the past few years - been a rake of times the fecker hasn't gone down and we've missed out on legit pens and frees as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Where is the outrage? Isn't virtually everyone saying it's both a penalty and a dive? Liverpool battered Newcastle and deserved to win, Jota still dove with an open goal. It was bloody weird so people are discussing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Maybe outrage was the wrong word but the amount of attention it's getting compared to the penalty Aston Villa were awarded against Burnley,that actually had a direct effect on the result of the match. Everyone piling in today on the Jota incident hadn't a word to say about that incident. Just wondering why is that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement