Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I doubt men take much notice of painted toenails and the stupid eyebrows they put on themselves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Really only successful in the US and Canada at the time.

Spent four weeks in the UK top 75 during early 1982 and peaked at #62. Not well-remembered on this side of the world.

Who's Crying Now was better known - reached #46 in UK and was included on K-Tel's Chart Hits '82 which a lot of people got for Christmas that year. Jonathan King wrote the sleevenotes for that compilation and described it as “A great American hit by a great American act.” He also managed to include a a couple of others in the same vein - Toto and Rick Springfield. By that point King had moved to New York was regularly producing reports from there that would appear on Top Of The Pops. The following year his Entertainment USA programme started on BBC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The number of road deaths in Ireland is not really that extraordinary.

Yes of course every death is sad and a terrible tragedy for those left behind, so I'm not trivialising it.

But I think we have to take the media headlines like "15% increase in road deaths" with a little pinch of salt.

The population is exploding, there's far more cars on the roads every year, more journeys, people working longer hours, longer commutes, etc. These are all factors, so you'd expect more crashes when there's more cars out there to be involved in accidents.

2023 had 184 deaths. This is the highest since 2016, which had 185. Only 7 years back. And don't forget we regularly had figures in the 600s and 500s throughout the 1970s and 1980s.

We also have less than the European average. We ain't going to eradicate all road deaths, and we of course want as few as possible, but perhaps a number in the high 100s is always going to be the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It is strange that the media seem to fixate on it alright. The number at the end of the year is fairly random and I don't think it indicates changes in driving behaviour much.

I wonder why they don't publish figures for cancer deaths or smoking related or obesity related. Maybe they do but it's not a part of ringing in the new year, like road fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭batman_oh

RSA says there'll be none by 2050. Loads of speed cameras on big national roads and motorways, double points and fines on bank holidays should sort that right out. Reality and common sense be damned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Cordell

By 2050 all cars will have mandatory active safety features like collision avoidance, automatic emergency braking and pedestrian detection. Those are the things that will drive the road deaths to almost zero, not fines and speed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

One of the only country in the world where a death on the roads makes the national news....

It's BS.

I disagree. It's road design, distraction and peoples stupidity that's the issue in most cases. Even the best systems will only ever be aids in peoples driving and wont be allowed to make decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I think the biggest turn off for me with women for me is the "trout lips" look, would they never consider saying "go easy on the oul filler there please!

If this is controversial it shouldn't be:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

How does a march to end obesity end obesity. Is it a forced march are people free to not join this march are they free to leave once joined.

Not sure it's a march you or the tweeter are thinking of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yep. I've got the figures right here on my website.

It's true that deaths increased 2 years in a row after an all time low in 2021 (probably Covid-related) but 2023 was a 19% increase on a very small number. Most of the public are numerically illiterate so the press play towards that.

You'd have to say that considering the steady rise of car ownership and increased numbers of journeys, our stats are pretty good.

But doesn't fit the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Na, 184 deaths cannot be considered good, theirs still too many deaths in their down to carelessness

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Of course we try to lower the figures, but there is going to be a figure which will be hard to get down below.

We aren't at 600 any more because cars are much safer than in the 70s and 80s. But there isn't much more that can be done to cars now to save humans who crash them. Bar maybe the cars driving themselves?

Also, I do believe we have a quantity of suicides in those stats. Can't stop those.

Yes, cars driving themselves, or short term, forcibly taking control in an emergency, is what will drive the number down hopefully to single digits. Automatic braking system was made mandatory in 2022, and we will see other systems made mandatory as well. By 2050 most cars will be able to automatically avoid most accidents.

True, the one vehicle collisions for no apparent reason.

There is a lot of careless driving, people think they and their steel cage are invulnerable in any situation. Slam it into something fast enough and any car will crumple like a Coke can. They will get away with taking only so many chances but someday their number will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Agricultural subsidies should be based on regenerative farming practice’s.

Makes no sense to continue to pay people for practices like spraying, tilling, chemical fertiliser & animals being housed in feedlots.

Coincidently, only for the subsidies most farmer’s wouldnt brake even.

So it makes absolutely no sense to keep doing what’s we’re doing.

Frankly, Irish people are great drivers considering we have narrow roads with 80/100km speed limits where cars come within a few feet of each other passing at that speed.

It's a very frightening driving experience for most foreigners and it's no wonder we need to put a bottle of holy water in the glove box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If I see a kid(s) with autism in a public setting like a restuarant or supermarket for example, I know I am more than likely going to get annoyed at their behaviour at some stage.

• Advertisement

Speaking of autism, it must be very easy to get diagnosed as an adult. All you have to do is read up on it and answer a few questions for the doctor. Deeply suspicious when I hear about well known people coming out saying they've been diagnosed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Getting a diagnosis as an adult requires multiple sessions with a psychiatrist... Generally as part of it, they interview a family member to get a gauge on what they were like during childhood etc. Self diagnosis is pretty common though and accepted cause it's pretty costly to do the assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

On the whole fat acceptance thing, if you're in the 40's regarding your BMI, you're most likely obese. If you're in the 50's, you are.

So if you are, then you should be made pay full whack for every medical issue you have. One of the biggest reasons we see such a stain on the health service is the national expanding waistline, and the associated health problems that it causes.

Pretty much everything can be made worse via obesity. And seeing as obesity (in the vast majority of cases, bar a few medical ones) comes down mainly to lifestyle choices, it shouldn't be up to the tax-payer to be bled dry because you'd rather eat a share bag of cheesy puffs than go for a walk.

You're too fat? Then pay full whack until you lose it, tubby.

Agreed, but id go a bit deeper & tax the fuq out of the product’s that are causing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭djan

Products don't cause obesity, only excessive consumption. If you overeat (more calories in than out) healthy foods, you will still gain weight.

Most dog owners treat their dogs like child substitutes.

Dog ice cream and doggy treats for an animal that will happily eat cat faeces.

Unfortunately I don't have cat faeces handy so I need to give him doggo treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’m not sure that they “happily” eat it. I think, with dogs, it’s more of an eat first ask questions later type thing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Parents of young children are the most self-centered, narcissistic, rude and blinkered people I have met.

I do not think your child running around a supermarket pulling food off the shelves is cute, control your brat!

Restaurants/bars are not creches.. don't bring your brat.

No, your child does not have ADHD or whatever version you have self diagnosed it with, it is just a little sh!t due to bad parenting.

• Advertisement

Products do cause obesity.

Even if you only ate 1 double cheeseburger out of mc donalds every day as a snack, i can guarantee that will make you obese in time.

And the problem with alot of the products that make people over consume & obese is there generally cheap.

Advertisement