Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Mo a big loss going forward obviously but arguably our best attacking performance of the season so far wasn't tonight. It was West ham in the cup when Mo didn't start. If we're still top of the league when Mo gets back its time to start dreaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Gomez seems back to his best this season. He's putting in solid performances while playing out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,521 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I like when Gomez plays, and you're totally oblivious to the fact he's playing

Good game today at left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

and you're totally oblivious to the fact he's playing

Not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I never thought he had it in him to come back to this type of from after shocking displays like away to Napoli.

Fair play to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The first half of the season has gone infinitely better than I envisaged towards the end of the summer. I was completely wrong on how good this team could be.

We’re now in a position very few expected us to be and it’s worth remembering that in a couple of weeks time when we have to break down Bournemouth without Salah.

Being clear at the top of the table heading into the break is just insane stuff from Klopp yet again. Time and time again doubting Klopp and the team around him has proven such a fruitless endeavour, I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Missing Salah and Endo will be tough, but the last time we had players leave in January for the AFCON we did not do too badly. We then lost Mane, Salah and Keita in 2022 and both Mane and Salah played in an energy sapping final that went into extra time and Salah had to see Mane win the tournament with his penalty. That would have been tough mentally and may have been one of the reasons his level dropped when he came back. We will just have to see how it will go.

Yeah, he was holding the back of his leg when he went off. Did not see if he had ice on it afterwards and hopefully it was just tiredness but that could be a problematic one if it is something more serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Strangely, I recall him having a good extendedrun at LB a few years ago and doing very well, then be broke his leg at Burnley and he's been stop start since really. Seems a good lad, good attitude, delighted to see him getting some credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

LB is where he started under Rodgers yeah

I forgot how dire our LB situation was prior to Robbo, that run of Flanagan, Gomez, Moreno, Milner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Honestly it's just another one of those things during the Klopp era - our best league runs have been faced with record-breaking points totals from City, or player availability issues due to AFCON, or both. Or Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Great performance last night. I thought Salah in the first half was terrible but thankfully the real Salah showed up in the second half.

Nunez unlucky again but can see why fans dislike him. We will need him to find his scoring boots with Salah gone now.

Diaz, Jones, Sobo, Gomez, Endo, all brilliant tonight. The best Sobo has been in a while, he was flying. Great to see Diaz show what he can do.

Crazy game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

It's bizarre how those stats work and the real numbers on the scoreboard

Liverpool 9-0 over Bournemouth in August 2022, Liverpool had an xG of 3.59

12 shots on target that day Vs 15 last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I couldn't agree more on Endo, if you compare the performances before he became a regular starter. We were getting wins, but we looked fragile and poor for large spells of those games.

Since Endo became a regular in the 2-0 win against Sheffield UTD at the start of December, it has been no coincidence that we have played our best football with him on the field. He may not be the best No.6 in the world, but the difference of playing with an actually No.6 in the holding role has had a huge impact on our performance levels IMO.

Only one stat counts. What actually happened.

What was expected doesn't matter a jot.

If anything it reflects terribly on our finishing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Great performance and result last night, Gomez Endo and Jones were my MOM all played really well.

I was at the game in the new upper Anfield road stand club have done a wonderful job on it atmosphere was electric last night one of the best I’ve been at in recent times.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I would love to hear what Shankly, Paisley, Fagans and even worse Ronnie Moran would think of this xG nonsense

There would be some legendary quotes I'd say lol!

Best I've seen us play in a while. In fact we have been frustrating to watch but the intensity last night was immense.

Klopp was really overly animated on the line. I'd say it's the realisation that this race is on and as always when it's Man City, every point counts.

Not dismissing Arsenal btw...But City are the team to finish above

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Jota getting lots of backlash in the media about going down rather than finishing.Thoughts? I think if he had tried to score and missed then it probably wouldnt have been brought back for a penalty, so he did the right thing...see it all the time, player that tries to stay on his feet and maybe misses never gets rewarded. If he had missed everyone would be screaming why didnt he go down...think Media are being hyper critical here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That's the issue. If they started giving penalties without players going down then players would start staying on their feet more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭jones

Great result last night, in the first half I had a feeling this was going to be another one of those games ala United where we dominate possession but do nothing with it. Thankfully the second half subsided my fears ha.

Gomez, Jones and Endo were all brilliant as others have said Endo gets more important to this team every week he plays IMO. Jones and Gomez have both stood up and VVD appears to be back to near his best. Alison and Salah are Allison and Salah and Trent seems to be clicking into gear at the exact right time.

Biggest issue for us now is losing Salah and Endo for a month or more combined with the fact that city are losing no one to afcon/Asia and also have big players back from injury. I still think city are favourites for the league they just have such form at this time of year they could quite easily win their next 15 games and could be out of sight by Easter. But we've done all we can so far. Let's see what the next few months bring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I've said it all along, a round peg in a round hole.

There is a lot to be said for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Endo's pressing is what we've been missing in the DM role. When we lose the ball high up the pitch and are vulnerable to the counter attack, Endo is able to gengenpress and win the ball back thus stopping the counter attack and keeping the opposition pinned back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

and that is the major difference between McAllister and Endo in the No.6 role.

MacAllister gives us another, quicker passing option in the middle and is technically a much better footballer than Endo, but his ability to press and tackle effectively when high up to the pitch is well behind Endo's levels. We got over-ran so many times earlier on this season because of that. I don't blame Macallister by the way, I think he will be a great player for us when we finally get to play him further forward, it's just he's not a No.6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have we seen Sobo, Mac and Endo start together yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’s annoying as it’s not as if we can take in a short term 6 in jan as it appears to be the hardest role in the team given how long Fabinho and endo had to wait to become starters.

worried about the Asian cup and afcon period but can’t complain with where we are now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gomez at lb gives great solidity when it becomes a 3 with vvd and konate with Trent moving into midfield , it may be a better option than anyone else there.

he is looking great now and very athletic aswell

• Administrators Posts: 54,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Didn’t see the game but watched the highlights, looks like some of our cohesive attack play is starting to return?

Did Diaz go well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Diaz was far better, taking on players, running into space.

Absolute game changer if he could rediscover his pre-injury form, looked a special player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Did anyone else enjoy the Trent Gakpo 1950's handshake celebration last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Diaz was massively improved but coming from a very low base.

Whenever I open this thread on mobile it pings me back to a page from Oct 2022, where Curtis Jones is being discussed. The views at the time were that he’s not good enough and he’ll never be good enough.

Cropping out the usernames because this isn’t intended as some sort of “call out” post, we’ve all had opinions that aged poorly, but just to remind fans to stop giving up on players so early.

Joe Gomez would’ve been in the same boat around that time and he’s another who’s back in the good books now. We had lads calling for Endo’s head 2 weeks into his Liverpool career and now they’re dreading January without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,408 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

City are going to go on a winning run now most likely. They have a very handy run of fixtures until the beginning of March. The only game they might drop points in is their next one away to Newcastle but Newcastle are not in the best shape right now. City's fixtures in March and April though are very tough if we can just stay in touch until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm pretty sure I wrote some of that!

Happy to be proven wrong, opinion was right at the time, he wasn't improving, didn't know when to pass, when to move, taking wild shots. He's 23 this month so it was kind of now never for him and he has taken his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jones can still be a bit frustrating at times, he played a great through ball last night, don't think we scored from it. He's a different option to have, very McManaman like with his mazy dribbles.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Lots of rubbish being spoken about Jota. He's going full speed around the keeper and clearly gets a knock. He goes down as soon as the foot that was hit plants on the ground. So much nonsense being said by ex players who should know better e.g he took 5 steps before he fell etc. I have to admit though a part of me likes how salty they all are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭garra

Jones himself has stated that he applies himself much harder in training these days, you can see it paying off and fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Fabinho on a 2 month loan while the Saudi winter break is on would make a lot of sense! But probably some rule I don’t know about that prevents it.

I had written off Curtis as a player barely good enough to be a Liverpool squad player, definitely not good enough to be a regular starter in a championship contending team. But I think he’s matured this year. I thought his performance in the league cup quarters v West Ham was immense. He just bossed that game and played like a captain, even his interactions with teammates was just mature, and ‘this is my team’ and giving proper encouragement to team-mates.

Did have to bear in mind that West Ham put out a weakened midfield and then against Arsenal he was only mediocre. But that was excellent from him yesterday and with Endo away and Szobo possibly injured, I think he’ll be starting plenty of games in the next 6 weeks or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭Damien360

That's just Neville. For the life of me, I can't understand why people still listen to Neville and Carragher. Neither can be remotely trusted to be impartial.

The keeper missed the ball and clips his leg, it's a penalty all day long.

That effort from Trent that went off the woodwork from a ridiculous angle goes right into the pantheon of Great Liverpool Almost Goals.

He joins:

Carragher hitting the post from 30 yards in his final game

Suarez' volley vs Arsenal

One of only two moments I can remember from Lazar Markovic's Liverpool career (the other being his red card in the UCL)

• Advertisement

It's amazing. Loving the bitterness. Reminds me of the 19/20 season. It must mean we are doing something right 😎

I'd almost (not really) believe Jota just went down because he knew it'd be the more controversial move 😆 He's got a bit of that Jamie Vardy shít-stirrer attitude in him.

That would be grade 1 shít stirring 😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Can't think of a worse endorsement of our current midfield than bringing back the crocked fella they replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Does anyone know when the rest of the fixtures will be confirmed, looking to make a trip over in April but some want to book anything until fixture is confirmed. I couldn't find any details with a quick Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep, I'm starting to actively avoid watching matches on Sky. I regularly fly over to Australia and the US to watch games, my TV is good like that.

There's something old school and comforting when I hear Jim Beglin on commentary.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

You best bet would be book a two night stay now and try to get the Sheff Utd game to be sure, the Palace game will be played on the Sunday if Liverpool get into the Europa League Quarter Finals those are the only 2 you can be sure about at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I think they committed to six weeks now, so April fixtures should be confirmed mid to late Feb

(Check the EL dates though, as any have scheduled for a Saturday after an EL matchweek will definitely get moved to Sunday (or Monday) if we progress)

It was tongue in cheek, but Fabinho is not crocked. If Szobo has a hamstring injury and Thiago and Bajcetic are still injured, we are going to be short handed for 6 weeks or so. Mac Allister is not a good 6. That’s been pretty plain. Might be worth shoe horning Curtis into 6 to allow Alexis play his best position, but either way it’s not ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,407 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fabinho has been playing in the 36th best league in the world where they can barely get a 1000 people in attendance. He wouldn't have the fitness to play in 9ur midfield now and he'd need time to learn the new role.

• Advertisement
Advertisement