Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to the thief at douglas village shopping center

Options
  • 29-12-2023 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

we were at the shopping center at 3 or so today.

my 9 year old daughter left her shoulder bag somewhere there. we dont know where. at around 7 this evening, we get a call from the security - my daughter has my email and moms phone number written inside her bag.

we get there, and are given the bag, which is great.

however: my daughter had a 50 euro note inside her bag. its a very obvious bag for small girls - very girly with cat ears and its very small. the 50 euro note was missing.

so to whoever found the bag and took the money: i hope you are very proud of yourself for stealing 50 euros pocketmoney from a 9 year old girl. your parents must be very proud!

Post edited by Gaspode on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Sorry that happened to you. Some absolute scummers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Horrible behaviour but if you are to take anything positive from it, it's a valuable, if unfortunate life lesson for a 9 year old to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

yeah that was the real takeaway here. the girl tends to be forgetful, but hopefully that experience will improve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

It’s surely on cctv?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ah come on, it's 50 quid!

They got there at 3 didn't notice it was missing until security rang them at 7.....so you expect 4 hours of CCTV to be trawled through for 50 quid?

She mislaid the bag, she wasn't attacked or anything else.

OP you know your daughter is forgetful, you entrusted her with a bag and money. You should have been keeping an eye on the bag.

Yes taking money out of the bag was a sh1tty thing to do, but if the bag hadn't been handed into security you wouldn't even have known it was missing.

I don't think your daughter is the only one who is forgetful.

Lesson learned the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

Don’t know why you invented the piece about the OP not noticing it was missing?

9 year olds need to learn how to handle money and belongings, good to see OP wasn’t infantilising their child like many parents do. It is a pity… and I remember my own daughter at a similar age having her bike robbed in Cork.

Welcome Ireland unfortunately. If it’s not nailed down, some people seem to think it’s free, or you deserve to be robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Whoever took it knows a judge will do nothing if their caught anyways …. And a free legal aid solicitor will be singing the thief’s praises for not stealing the purse as well !

All part of Irelands soft on crime policy !

Security contacted them as their details were inside the bag.

Had they noticed the bag gone before they got home I'd imagine they would have left their details with security and there would be no need to point out the fact that the details were in the bag.

Had they noticed it was missing I'm sure they would have retraced their steps looking for the bag....a fact I'm sure the OP would have included to illustrate the horror of the situation.

I'm not even sure what the point of this thread is or what the OP expects to gain from it.

End of the day it's the parents responsibility to keep an eye on their children's belongings.

Yeah it's great to teach them independence but you still need to monitor the situation.

The child lost the bag, is down 50quid. Could it have been prevented? Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

If the bag was on camera, it would take 5 minutes to find out who went at it.

You hardly think they have to watch 4 hours at normal speed?

OP states they don't know where the child left the bag.

Do you'd be asking security to go through footage from the time they entered ....each shop potentially has its own cctv so if you did manage to track the child and the bag going into the shop but coming out of the shop you'd need to get that shop to go through their CCTV......it ain't going to happen for 50 quid.

We also don't know if the money was Maliciously stolen. If kids are bored they'll empty their bag, refill the bag empty the bag etc. the child herself could easily have removed the money and left down outside the bag. ....the bag may have been left open , fell on the floor, money fell out.....who knows. The OP doesn't know where it was mislaid.

Bottom line look after your own belongings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

If only every child could “learn how to handle money and belongings”. The OP hasn’t said whether or not his daughter is neurodivergent, and I wouldn’t expect him to in a context like this. But your parenting advice assumed she was neurotypical. Chronic forgetfulness is one of the main symptoms of ADHD in girls (quite different symptoms to boys). And believe me, it’s not something that is fixed by a few hard lessons like the OP’s story. Clearly, this little girl might be as neurotypical as they come, but please don’t preach as though everyone is. That sort of, sorry, shît is hard for parents of neurodivergent kids to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Have any of you considered the the OP is pissed, may just want to vent and not give out to the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

The victim blaming is nauseous but sadly typical of excuses made for thieving scumbags constantly

Aha. I assume your logic extends to not mentioning colours ever either in case someone has a child with colour blindness or vision impairment.

Or music in case of deafness.

Should I remove the piece about my 9 year old having a bike in case her sibling in a wheelchair spots it?

Or is it only your particular family situation I should censor myself on in case you feel sad for a moment.

What a weird self-absorbed comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Classic case of own fault. You should be glad you got the bag at all and that it wasn’t dumped in a bin.

Seems far more likely it’s one of the posters above you, who all believe in Finders Keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet the OP posted looking for a full psychological assessment of their kid ....

Get a grip , will ya ffs .......................................

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The self satisfied victim blaming is stomach churning. It's no wonder such petty thievery goes unpunished here when you see some of the responses. Basically apologists for scumbags.

Whipping a "finders fee" out of a child's bag is disgusting.

This thread has taken quite the turn!

• Advertisement

There you go again.

You do realise that you can disagree with other posters without accusing them of being criminals? It's a theme with you.

Also, why reply to such a hateful, xenophobic, discriminatory post?You are giving it oxygen.

The mods won't do anything, don't you think it's best to ignore such posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

The appropriate response would be to acknowledge that it didn’t even occur to you that there might be a very good reason why the little girl is forgetful, thereby making your best-parent-of-1985 response completely unhelpful and out of order. But instead you doubled down. Classy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK enough of this nonsense. Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement