Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Ah coincidentally enough there was also talk of this on the Dublin Movements FB group yesterday.

I think whatever BA go with to replace their GE 772's could be what EI also ends up with as well. Which is likely either the A350-900 or the 787-10 IGW. People keep saying that IAG are only ordering 787s these days when in fact only BA are.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jwm121

Hopefully they go with the A350, amazing aircraft.

Question, why do, on NA routes, EI fly the exact same aircraft to the same destinations everyday? I know the capacity difference between the -200 and -300 but it's very often just the exact same aircraft flying to the exact same destination everyday and very rarely do they operate a once off to another destination. Is it due to different configs or something like that? Maybe scheduling?

Wouldn't go as far as to say the exact same aircraft but yeah certain ones tend to stay on certain routes but still move around at times though. Crew rest and MTOW would be a factor.

With the exception of the last four -300s (242t) builds all the others have a 233t MTOW so you won't see them on west coast runs. They'd probably make it but with less weight on board though. Even then they've no crew rest.

GEY has the range but no crew rest so you won't see that in LAX or SFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Pretty much what sexy chocolate said, also config plays a roll when it comes to consistency, especially with the 200’s! (For a fleet of just 14 aircraft, there are 5 different seating configuration's)

Both DAA and DUO have crew rest areas too and frequently do west coast runs along with the four 242t builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Fairly sure FNG and FNH are 242T HGW but are registered to 233T without crew rest so can be upgraded

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The route/airframe combo has a number of factors. It is planned out weeks (if not months) in advance.

This allows EI to seat/offer exit row seats, bulkhead seats. As stated above there are 5 different cabins among 15 aircraft.

Some routes/schedules can 'handle' the same aircraft each day. EG. DUB-YYZ/SEA/ORD.

The JFK/BOS routes usually have a few aircraft operating alternately. EG. early JFK, home at 5am, operating to AGP, then on the late BOS.

SFO/LAX mostly get the higher MTOW airframes with the flight crew rest compartment.

Of course, this plan can be thrown out the window in times of disruption.

What are the frames with 317 seats ? The newest ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The 4 at 242T HGW GAJ, GCF, EIN, EIM with crew rest are 313 seats, the difference is 4 missing seats in the centre row at L3/R3 doors where the stairs are to the crew rest, so this has no impact on exit rows, bulkheads etc.

Both -200 are different

And the ex QR birds are odd ball. This might get worse as the talk is EIK/EIM will get a 'new' cabin in Q1 2024 and this will be a different J seat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

if EI did get 787’s, do people think it would be the 8/9/10 or a mix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

I’d think the 787-10 would be the best option.

The -9 if they don't intend on adding premium economy or the -10 if they do is my prediction. Be surprised to see a mix.

The -9 is slowly killing off the -8. Emirates are surprisingly one of the few who actually see something in it these days as they ordered 20 recently.

The -10 with a similar layout to KLM would suit EI down to the ground and should still allow them to operate west coast ops. However am unsure how weight restricted they are for KLM on longer ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

Is there anything in the A330neo's favour? I can't help feeling the 787 3-3-3 economy seating would be a huge downgrade for pax, at a time when they've basically put boards in as seats on the A320neo.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

It's actually more fuel efficient than the a350 on east coast routes (according to Leeham News), comparable on west coast, slightly less fuel efficient than the 787, but more roomie and comfortable at 2:4:2 in economy. The main benefit is a super-easy meld into the current EI fleet from pilots, crew, cargo, handling, and importantly line maintenance (of everything but the new engines). If it were me... It'd be the neo... Maybe even on 10yr leases via the large lessors... And come back to the a350 when it's been Neo'd with rolls ultra fan tech and further improved as per airbus' normal continual improvements of cabins and components.

Bringing in larger aircraft is great if you can fill them 'all year'. A near full a330 is going to be more cost effective than a 70/80% full a350... And you,'ve got to think about off-season load factors.

Another benefit is it's got the legs to fly full anywhere EI flies... One aircraft can do it all and do it well. I think EI may just take advantage of cheap leases of older a330s though... Seems to work for them.

Post edited by sherology on

Better lead time.

Better economy layout.

Better range over the 78X.

Crew familiarity for EI, easier to gain type rating from A320.

Tried and tested frame thats had very few issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'd be surprised if passenger experience was a factor under consideration in the decision. The ironing boards on the newest aircraft in the short haul fleet have made corporate policy on that front very clear.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Anyone here know anything about Aer Lingus' reason for changes to their Dub-Boston flight schedule for Jan & Feb?

They usually have flights twice daily but this has been reduced to a single flight each way until Mar 1st. Don't remember them doing similar last year but I could be mistaken, most likely demand driven I figure but out of curiosity I thought I'd ask here in case somebody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Demand is weakest at this time of the year, up until the week before Paddy's Day. Aer Lingus has a very punishing schedule for the A330s during the summer with some of them working virtually non stop 7 days a week, with a Euro trip to Malaga or Faro thrown in too. This means they have limited time to get the heavy maintenance done, which is what they will do now.

Come the Summer timetable at the end of March, they will need them all up and running at full tilt.

Repaints are starting up again soon for the A330s again in Teruel. Could be some part of the reason ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

Remember two are due a major cabin upgrade (at last!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

Yeah I can't help feeling they'll just continue with the 'safe' option of taking up second hand CEOs then start taking second hand NEOs in time.

When is this starting and will they have all the 330s repainted before summer? Will they even repaint the -200s?

What is being upgraded? The new business class isn't coming until Q1 2025 right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The 2 ex Qatar are due refits to make them in line with the other EI 330s

From what I read it should be in the coming weeks and not sure how many. Probably DUZ and EAV I'd imagine. It was only mentioned here a few weeks ago.

They're only been done when they're due a repaint so the likes of GAJ, GCF and if still around by that stage GEY will likely be the last to be done.

I don't see why DUO wouldn't be done, DAA is hard to call.

Most likely scenario as well I think. Could be a while off any second hand Neos though. I think Delta can't get them into their fleet quick enough like the way they jumped at LATAMs A350s.

Regarding the A350, I learned a couple of weeks back that JAL ones like from yesterday are only flown on short domestic hops between 45 mins and 2.5hrs with de-rated XWB engines. Seems such a waste for a highly capable long haul bird but they obviously see the economics in it.

Almost sounds like the regional variant the EI were looking for years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

QR sitting on 13 332/3's with GE engines and some owned by Castlelake so potentially a move to EI although they are older birds circa 15-18 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Japan is the country that used 747 variants for domestic flights. I'm honestly a bit surprised that they don't have domestic A380s.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

That's my thinking, and QR own 20% of IAG, so there's likely a somewhat close relationship. With planning, any future CEO leases could be refit to EI cabin spec prior to joining the active fleet... But with the XLRs coming in, not sure EI need any in the short term.

Advertisement