Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

More calls for ethnic cleansing from government ministers

"Israel should discuss the revival of civilian settlements within the Gaza Strip as part of its planning for the enclave once Hamas rule is toppled, Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said Saturday night, while denying that any of Gaza’s approximately 2 million residents were innocent and calling for Israel to “encourage voluntary emigration” from the territory.

Speaking to Channel 12 news, the leader of the hard-right Religious Zionism party also doubled down on his refusal to transfer tax payments to the Palestinian Authority over concerns that the money will find its way to Gaza, sloughing off reported pressure from the United States on the matter and pushing back against insinuations that he and others had propped up Hamas as a convenient foil.

We will be in security control, and we will need there to be civil [control],” Smotrich said. “I’m for completely changing the reality in Gaza, having a conversation about settlements in the Gaza Strip… We’ll need to rule there for a long time… If we want to be there militarily, we need to be there in a civilian fashion.”

Under pressure from Smotrich, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday canceled a scheduled war cabinet debate on shaping post-war Gaza, and said he would hold the discussion instead in the larger security cabinet. Smotrich is not a member of the tight-knit war cabinet, but he and fellow far-right leader Itamar Ben Gvir, minister of national security, do sit in the security cabinet.

We want to encourage willful emigration, and we need to find countries willing to take them in,” he said.

In an Army Radio interview on Sunday morning, Smotrich returned to that point: “We need to encourage immigration from there. If there were 100,000-200,000 Arabs in the Strip and not two million, the whole conversation about the day after [the war] would be completely different,” he said. “They want to leave. They have been living in a ghetto for 75 years and are in need.”

He also told Army Radio: “I don’t think there’s anyone in Israel who doesn’t want to see Jewish settlements everywhere.”"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hm

"Smotrich said he still agreed with and repeated a quote from a 2015 interview in which he said, “In the game of delegitimization… the Palestinian Authority is a burden and Hamas is an asset.” He claimed that the quote had been intentionally misinterpreted by critics as him saying the terror group was positive for Israel."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In many cases, military installations were frequently the target and not civilians per se. What marked Dresden out in particular is that there no military targets of note and the city was full of refugees - the Allies knew full well they were bombing a civilian city i.e. the civilians themselves were the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

And I agree that specifically targeting civilians is bad, and shouldn't happen. But Israel has a terrible problem in how to focus on Hamas given both the population density of Gaza and the propensity of Hamas for disguising themselves as civilians and using human shields. It is nevertheless true though that Hamas is the government of Gaza, and have a similar relationship with the territory as other belligerents in more "symmetrical" wars throughout history.

The Allies in WWII for example bombed Berlin just about every night and many other cities across Germany. Same in Japan. That likely wasn't fun for the civilians who lived in those cities, but it had been an accepted part of war especially after the Blitzkreig.

I only want Israel to be held to the same standard as for example the WWII Allies - i.e. permitted to do whatever they have to do to target Hamas people and capabilities, and protect their own people. Which as we saw on New Years, is still a pressing need.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I only want Israel to be held to the same standard as for example the WWII Allies 

By that rational you'd be fine with the dropping a nuke on gaza? Because the US did that twice in WW2.

What the allies did to germany and japan was horrific. They firebombed cities. They couldn't manage to target anyone so they targeted entire cities. What they did was certainly a warcrime but because they won with unconditional surrenders, they were never prosecuted. They used actual nuclear weapons on cities filled with civilians. I realise that at this point, someone will reply with "but what about germany/japan". I'm not saying they were saints. I'm not saying they were blameless. they were horrific regimes who caused untold suffering. That doesn't mean it's ok to bomb a city filled with civilians. Especially when it made very little difference to the war effort.

The firebombing of german cities was so bad that civilians died in bunkers because the air was sucked out. In some bunkers bodies weren't even found because the air was super heated and they could only estimate how many people were killed based on the quantity of ash they found on the floor of the bunker. Civilians outside were found sticking out of the roads because it was so hot it caused roads to melt and their bodies sank into the road. The allies dropped delayed fuse bombs to hit first responders.

In hamburg in one night, 18,000 people were killed. There was a firestorm that covered 21 square kilometers, went 300ft into the air, had 240km winds and temperatures of 800c.

That's the standard you want for israel? Because I'm not sure you know how bad the allies were in WW2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I don't think people were or are in favour of what the Saudis are doing in Yemen or what Assad has done in Syria, and have marched against thise perpetrated those crimss. Do people selectively decide what they want to get upset about? Yes definitely. You can even see this in this thread where people will deplore the killings on 7 October and say nought about the killings of kids in the last two months.

Plus they don't appreciate that the killings and crimes have been going on for many years at a ratio of 22;1and didn't just start on Oct 7th.

They have been pretty clear in their position I suppose. Innocents must decide until Israel decides it is done, and they will support them whatever happens.

Only the innocents on one side matter. The others are just collateral damage it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seriously? Rapes from 75 years ago matter as much as what went on in October? Sheesh. Pointless to debate with such but whatever. I do condemn IDF rapes.

Will Hamas be investigating their own policy being executed? What do you think? I doubt it. Do you allege rape is part of IDF policy? And mutilation, too?

The killings as part of the war will stop when Hamas returns the hostages and stops shooting rockets.

The killing of women and children will continue as long as Hamas exists. To destroy Hamas is the objective of the Israelis not just to get back the hostages and stop the rockets.

We hold them to a standard of a western nation. But what standard we hold them is irrelevant. Either you think they are killing too many civilians in this conflict or not? What do you think?

If you don't object to their current methods it would explain well why you want people to focus their ire on the Saudis or Syrian government instead.

According to the regime's propaganda, almost the whole of the Gazan population are Hamas supporters. Anyone who supports this is pretty much endorsing the destruction of the entire enclave and its people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, IIRC it was you who said we should not focus on Hamas. Which is a really bizarre comment, it would be like saying in WWII that the Allies should not focus on the Nazis but instead focus on German collateral damage. A really weird way to discuss what is very clearly a fight to the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

And were the Jews launching terrorist attacks on other people from their stetls?

Or is this just another example of false equivalence and whataboutery?

Hamas has around 25k militants - Israel has a heavily armed military of 500k (including reservists) and has an army, navy and air force.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I doubt we will see this kind of thing happening in Qatar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Israel will never stop killing, not until the whole Gaza enclave has been absorbed, they have no interest in a two state solution, Hamas or no Hamas, they'll continue to steal land and expand.

To be honest you shouldnt have to answer such a ridiculous idea Anyone serious knows that Hamas could not destroy israel, not in a million years. To the death is only a possibility for the Gazans at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Cordell

And they are justified in using their full force to defend themselves and to prevent another 7/10 by any means necessary.

This is disputed by many analysts - they believe that the onslaught on Gaza and its civilians cannot be construed as 'self defence'.

An analogy would have been the British Army deciding to flatten West Belfast or the Bogside at the height of the Troubles, supposedly with the aim of eradicating the IRA,

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

says standard is irrelevant then seeks to apply standard…

I meant i had no standard s different to israel vs saudi. What standard do you have for the war then? Or are you just going to snipe from the sidelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Cordell

And some other experts claim the opposite. In the end it's Israel's duty to protect their people by whatever means they see fit as to be used as self defense.

I think that is the minority view given 130 countries voted against Israels current methods. Maybe because their method are not good at protecting innocent civilians

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

And some other experts claim Israel can't claim self defense when they are attacked by a population who they have under occupation.

It's been pretty darn good, considering the odds against Israel. Part of why 7/10 was so shocking.

And, well, countries voting against Israel is a thing. It's a popularity contest, Israel's never going to win one of those.

I must've missed where Israel occupied Gaza. However, that's likely to be the reality soon enough.

• Advertisement

Pretty darn good? What constitutes pretty darn bad for you in terms of civilian deaths to militants killed?

At some stage the supporters of Israel will have to accept that the rest of the world are not jerks and they have crossed the line. I can't imagine you would blindly state the same with regards to the popularity of Russias action in Ukraine.

Advertisement