Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A recent ec46 had a brief return of the Atlantic after mid January, but a blocking signal overall till mid February. As we know these are notoriously fickle. We could well get Atlantic driven weather to see out winter after this cold spell. The UKMO text forecast mentions briefly milder weather is possible too, it would be nice if just for once the cold was extended- preferably with Atlantic fronts stalling over us and giving us a lot of snow before retreating. Unfortunately Carlsberg don't do the perfect peak winter cold spell, but if they did...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's probably going to affect Europe even more than it will do for us with the core of the cold likely to be on the north-east to south-west alignment through the continent of Europe and eastern Spain will definitely feel the affect of this with night time temperatures possibly getting close to freezing even near the coast and daytime temperatures not much higher than 10 or 11C. Inland Spain likely to go subzero.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon the Atlantic will make it's return once this cold dry spell is over but it's possible we could get a notable cold spell at some stage in February. If February ends up being a cold month then March could possibly follow. A mild February is usually followed by a mild March and same can be true for cold Februarys leading to cold Marches. We have a long way to go with this winter yet.

Let's hope the ECM has similar output this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Looking medium term, the GEM and ECM are throwing up similar charts. Greenland to Svalbard heights and incoming frigid airmass.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement

GFS 12z starting to look very interesting!

There is actually a chance we could end up with a noteworthy cold spell before months end. I just hope we can get unstable conditions with some snow would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Ah we've book a long weekend in Málaga next weekend looking like won't be sunshine and shorts.

Get in!

I think overall the models support high pressure from this weekend with a better chance of maybe getting some snow mid January but the positioning of that high and where it goes is critical. The only problem i'm still seeing in the models is those heights over Spain/Portugal never truly go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’ll happen Gonzo!! They’ll go away!! Have the faith!!! ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

I dont think anyone really wants a cold March (Maybe first week max)

Clare (410ft asl)

The signals are very strong for an extended period of cold and settled weather initially with some potential for wintry weather from the 12th onward. I am struggling to remember the last time we saw such signals in January. We have ensembles strongly favouring the high regressing NW with Greenland blocking into the middle of the month, a strongly negative NAO and AO.

The GEFS mean is as cold as you normally get on this side of the world for 13 days out

A lengthy dry, cold spell would do people (and the ground) the world of good though I am cogniscant of those who are struggling to heat their homes. Either way, we will stick to weather talk here.

Ps... cue the ECM ripping up the trend in 3, 2 , 1 ....

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Todays GFS 12z is not an outlier, not even close, it's broadly in the middle range so the cold looks very much supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The only worry you could have with the ecm for Ireland is shifting the cold further east witch it has a tendency to do closer to reliable time frame.

Clare (410ft asl)

Entirely possible but there would need to be a whole host of pattern changes downstream for it do so. Output has been quite solid in recent days regarding the high regressing north and west. That said, the betting man's pick will always be the Atlantic when it comes to wagering on Ireland's weather.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

I would be more concerned with the high going too far north west. In any case we are going to get some cold settled days at the very least . Its exciting to have this potential in the heart of winter even if it does go pear shaped in terms of getting some snow. When was the last time we had a proper cold spell in January.

Post edited by nacho libre on

About time yous got the cold,

Current chats would give where i live down to -25 at night-16 day time.

Coldest I've experienced was -21 since I've moved to Eastern Poland.

Clare (410ft asl)

We have a year round spring sadly. To live in a country with actual seasons would be lovely. My bet right now would be a period (from this weekend) of dry and settled weather with night time frosts with fog persisting in some locations throughout the day, thereby keeping temps low. Wintry weather prospects rest on the period beyond day 10.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

January 2010 I'd hazard a guess at would be last January cold I remember in Ireland.

Over shadowed by what came later that year

I would go back to 1987.

2010 was near all over by 26th of Dec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

January 2010 was very cold. It snowed here on new years eve and there was snow around for approx 10 days.

You could be 💯 i could be thinking January 2011. Memory going getting old..

We better get back on track or mods will have our scalps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

ECM 12Z is telling us a lot of patience is required if we want a fall of snow. High pressure galore. Let's see where the op lies when the mean/ensembles are out.

Loving the evolution of the GFS 12Z

A drying period in order for 3ft of snow to settle comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

Indeed bazlers. Let's keep this positivity going!

Il give it another week espoito and it will have worn fairly thin by then im sure! : ) At least there is plenty of scope in the charts this January for cold incursions we are in with a shout anyhow. Id love to see everyone getting a nice fall of snow with a few frost days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You are thinking that but even so January 2011 was still cold. People seem to forget just how cold it actually was for parts of Ireland. It wasn't snowy but it was frosty cold with the second half being well below average with some very cold nights. Galway had as much as 22 air frosts that month. We had some fantastic crisp sunny days to go along.

February 2011 on the other hand was a very mild, Atlantic driven write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

DublinLive headline tomorrow;

'Weather expert predicts three foot snow deluge over entire country as beast from the east set to make a return'

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Coldest I've experienced was -24c in Canadian Rockies, but it was a dry cold so didn't feel as bad as -24c would in Ireland which is a moist cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

January 2021? There was snow on the ground for a few days, a bare cm or so but it was lovely. Overnight lows got down to around -8c or -9c in parts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement