Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Other half back to work this morning I set the alarm for 7.30 in the hope it would get me moving but the dark mornings are awful. Just me and the little one at home, feel like I have a sinus infection ears at me too just sipping on a lemsip with the Christmas tree lights on

I just thought to myself it was Wednesday 🤦‍♀️ actually most of yesterday I was convinced it was Tuesday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

For the first time ever I’m set to have a quick January. I’m only due to work 4 days between now and Jan 29th thanks to paternity leave and annual leave.

I have no doubt that time will fly by though. But my thoughts are with all people returning to work this morning. I’ve been that soldier every other year. But I also know by now it’ll feel like you were never off. Ye have all got this!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I walked elf number one to crèche this morning at 8am and it genuinely felt like it was 3am.

Little guy was delighted to be back. I was more upset dropping him off that he was. We had such a lovely Christmas with him and having the time to actually spend time with him. I’m so sick of the 9-5 rat race but sadly it’s needed to live.

I’ve been doubling down on lotto lately to no avail I haven’t had any luck. Last winning ticket was Dec 6th for a whopping €2 😂😂

As above I’m so sick of the rush of the 9-5 working life. I don’t want to win the lotto to buy expensive things I just want the time to spend with my family and to do things at our own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Back in work this morning like a lot of you, but we are the Christmas thread so we are the most positive bunch of eejits going ha ha.

Positives - I work outside about 50% of the day so it's not raining and it's not that cold. I am going home in about 2 hours and not back in till Thursday, my brother and his family are calling up later on today for a take away and a chat.

And best of all, I'm healthy and able to get up for a day's work so I've little to be complaining about and plenty to be thankful for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Dreading getting up in the morning for the drive to work, with no Christmas FM to cheer me up and a very tough financial ahead the early part of 2024 could be as miserable as it gets however as pointed out above your health is your wealth and fingers crossed this year is better than last on that score.

Need to get back to a healthier lifestyle though as I can sustain last year's habits or I'll be obese by the summer.

Best of luck to all back at work, I'll be joining you from c.7am tomorrow and will be in dire need of coffee and cheering up!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Back to work for me this morning too. I did work one day over Christmas, but this feels like my first day back since Dec 18th. It really doesn't feel like I had two weeks off though.

Looking pretty grey out there today, typical January weather. I think it's due to turn colder from Thursday. I'm really feeling the cold in my home office this morning. I got a heated mouse as a Christmas present last year, so at least that's keeping one hand warm!

Time for a coffee now and a root to see what bits of Christmas treats are left to cheer me up.

When our two were younger the Christmas seasons were the best i ever had as a grown up and I think looking back they were the years I got the post Christmas blues the worst,, its such a magical special time in life that its hard to let it go. The one good thing was the speed at which the season came around again once they started school... Trust me you think its fast now, well it gets faster and faster!

Last word of advice, enjoy it as much as you can and take nothing for granted as they slip by so so quickly, and whilst you'll still celebrate all things Christmas as we do, it definitely changes.

Right, off for brekkie...

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Happy new year to all. I had the last of my Christmas drinks last night. Boo! 'Tis a grey wet morning which accurately reflects my mood. On the other hand, once you are back a few days you get over the blues. I just hope my boss is not looking to start the year full tilt (he often is)

Wishing all those that had a hard 2023 a better 2024 (and a wee welcome to @Loughc's new addition).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Aw enjoy @Loughc! The best thing about a new baby at the end of December is snuggling in bed in January while the world outside goes by. Our elf is 9 now and every January, I still think of how lovely it was giving her the morning feed and then snuggling back down with her in the bed.

• Advertisement

Annual Leave for Christmas 2024 in the diary, plus the birthday booked off. Top tip - life is too short to work on your birthday, get it in the diary now folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Not back until Thursday thankfully, after foolishly not taking much leave in 2023, I took a month off for Christmas. I could feel burnout and it was a slog getting to my holidays now I feel great and I'm excited about work again.

I won't make the same mistake next year I have a few gigs and a holiday planned and I'm putting my leave in now.

My brother just texted me to say him and the family will not be calling up, he has tested positive for Covid. Is it on a comeback?

With typical brother sympathy I replied "Jaysus you'll do anything to avoid going back to work!".

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Andrew93

We got hit with it mid December. Plenty of extended family and friends had cases over the festive period too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've heard of two different people in the last week, one of them is a friend of mine who is high risk and is in hospital (she had other ailments but covid on top not helping things). It's unfortunately still lurking out there folks.

Two of my friends had Covid before Christmas, one of them works in a primary school and said it was rampant in the school.

I think I had the flu over New Year, so that seems to be on the go too. It definitely wasn't a cold and two Covid tests were negative. I was completely floored for 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

This time last week we were just leaving my cousins house heading home for St.Stephens Day dinner 😭

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Happy New Year to everyone 😀.

I had my last blowout last night after 8+ days of eating junk food. I must remind myself not to overbuy tins of biscuits/ sweets etc. I think there are about 6+ tins unopened and some are wrapped as gifts for people who didn't call or I saw due to them having COVID.

Only another 357 days until Christmas Day 2024 😁

But until then I'm back to the reality of work and the gym later 😐️

Post edited by Luckycharms_74 on

• Advertisement

Went to the gym myself at lunchtime...he decided to spring strength testing on us which was all grand until we got to the cardio portion: 500m ski, 750m row, 1500m bike 🤢🤢🤢 I'm still not over it nearly three hours later

Thanks @miamee I'm definitely a lot better, but still not 100%. Getting a flu vaccine will be added to my pre-winter list of things to do from now on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Definitely do it! I started getting the flu vaccine after an awful dose one year- was over a month before I felt 100% again. You can get the covid and flu vaccine together now too, great to have that boost coming into the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Fortunately I could go the gym at 11 this morning when it was quiet and I'll do the same tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to the new year after work gym crowd, the amount of people at the start of the year makes it hell.

I bought some dumbells and a bench for my house. I've noticed that the start of the week is always the busiest and it gets quieter as the week goes on (people lose interest in guessing) so that will help me avoid the crowds.

Brought the kids to see 'Wonka' in the cinema, and we all really enjoyed it. Well worth a watch, Hugh Grant playing an ompa lumpa was particularly good!

Traffic there and back was horrific though, an hour both ways for what's normally 10-15 minutes for us. reminds me of whats ahead for my drive home from work now from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had today off work to drive back home; back WFH tomorrow and maybe Thursday but the office has to come on Friday. House is at least still decorated so not too depressing yet.

The amount of people/houses that have taken their decorations down 🤬

I hadn't been outside in three days and I was shocked (really shouldn't be) to see the small number of houses that still have their Christmas lights on.

I have to admit, I don't always leave mine up until the 6th, but the way it falls this year, everything will still be up and fully lit until then.

I really noticed the social media trend of everyone saying goodbye to their tree etc on Jan 1st. So annoying these trends.

• Advertisement

We're the same, depending on how the days fall we've taken them down on NYD or the 2nd, before we head back to work, but the last couple of years we've left up until 6th and will do so again this year. Our estate usually reduces by about a half by now though, some years it's nearly all gone by the 2nd.

Advertisement