Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah, the main marvel continuity is Earth-616, in the comics, at least. The MCU was designated Earth-199999 but refers to itself as Earth-616 which isn’t at all confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

This would have been the smart thing to do in hindsight, and it would have also alleviated the pressure somewhat of trying to introduce too many new things into a well established universe.

A Multiverse handled well like how you outlined, would have meant never having to ever worry about doing a reboot. Maybe they can still salvage that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Unlike the infinity saga they failed to build Kang as a legitimate big bad... Following most movies we saw a thanks threat coming or fury recruited someone... Granted post credits of quantumania they revealed the council of kangs...prior to that each movie should have had a legitimate end credits where Kang destroyed a universe or killed another avenger variant to set him up as the threat instead marvel decided to opt for humour/quirkiness to waste 10 mins of our time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It probably didn't help all right that with every appearance, Kang has been defeated and/or killed; not really a great way to build suspense in fiction if your Big Bad keeps getting trounced by the heroes? Or appears as a bumbling stuttering scientist.

Compare that with Thanos where after a smattering of cameos, the first time he steps into a MCU movie he beats the shít outta the Hulk, and kills Loki (plus Heimdall). Boom. Instant threat, stakes immediately raised. It's boilerplate, writing 101 but it works. Just don't overuse it - hello Worf 👋

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭kerplun k

What makes it even worse for Kang is that he got schooled by Ant-Man. That’s just embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wyatt Russell is saying the ThunderBolts will start filming in March/April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

First episode of What If season 2 out today with daily releases until the 30th.

Think someone was watching Blade Runner before making this. Really liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,911 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My 5 year old is gone big into Groot since seeing the short Groot series on Disney. Anyone know if there's other GOTG/Groot stuff that's suitable for that age? The Christmas special is 12's so sounds a bit old. Would be cool if there was a kids cut of the Marvel films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's similar shorts with Doug and Karl Fredrickson from Up, one of Ed Ansers last pieces before he passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,911 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks but more looking for suitable Marvel than just shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,335 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

New episodes of What if...?

I enjoyed episode 2 more than 1 but both solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I have to say I take issue with a Disney committee creating new marvel superhero character (Tahhori). It's not about whether the character is good or not, but there's something impure about it. If they got an established marvel comics writer (preferably native American) to create a character I'd be much more agreeable, but I do feel they should be limited to using established characters from the comics. At least with regard to superheroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Who?

I really enjoyed that latest episode...I liked the fresh story and Interested to see where the character goes from here

The character debuts in episode 6 of What If...?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Take issue? It's nearly all commercial writing; cribbing that one might be committee driven is a bit selective given the medium exists as a primarily revenue driven one, and manys a hero came out of a prevalent marketability - with intermittent artistry.

Many historic heroes were themselves transparent attempts to latch onto the Zeitgeist - look at Luke Cage for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I think my issue is with the make up of the committee rather than the creation of commercial product. Disney seems to dilute genuine story telling and are more concerned with the product than the art than most.

The episode was good in any event.

Harley Quinn was created especially for Batman The Animated Series and look how that turned out.

Well The Mohawk Nation collaborated on the episode so there is that and it can't be that impure if the Native American citizens who collaborted were happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm guessing ties into the end of episode 5 setting up

a 1602 episode.

The voice actor is also of Mohawk descent which was a big part of paying respect to doing the character properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,753 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Seems like Variety are getting gloomy about caped films.

and in a related article

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/hollywood-2024-problems-media-mergers-disney-ticketmaster-late-night-box-office-1235849990/

2.) Will Disney get its groove back?

Not so long ago, all was right in the Magic Kingdom. Marvel was the envy of the movie biz, “Star Wars” had been rebooted, the theme parks lured families from around the world and Disney+ seemed like a potential Netflix killer. 

Boy, how things have changed. Disney’s superhero films are bombing, a victim of a rapid expansion into streaming that led to a glut of content and a lack of quality control. The studio keeps announcing, then abandoning “Star Wars” spinoffs and sequels. Price hikes at its parks have alienated consumers. And Disney+ has failed to convert its subscriber base into robust profits, while rumors are swirling that the company might sell ABC to generate some cash. All of this has left Disney’s stock languishing, setting the stage for a fresh proxy fight with activist investor Nelson Peltz.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Variety is right on this. MCU as we know it won’t see 2030. It’ll be all solo non connecting reboot movies going forward. Disney+ is a dead man walking as it will lose exclusive tv shows and special features and they are planning on widening the gap from theatrical release and Disney plus release to protect Box office profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I could see them wrapping up the current MCU in the Multiverse Saga, and jumping to a fresh new universe with F4 and X-Men at the foundation. They're just struggling to balance keeping the MCU going while losing most of the big draw names that made it what it was. Eternals, Shang Chi, Captain Marvel... they just don't seem to be clicking with audiences in the same way. They also badly mishandled Thor which hasn't helped, and then their big bad now requires a rewrite. If they just reset with a new universe without the baggage of the MCU, without overpowered heroes, without decades worth of references, it could revitalize things. The problem with the above though would be introducing F4 and X-Men in a high stakes event which would box them in a bit from the outset. I'd love to see something low key like the very first X-Men used as the intro to a fresh new MCU... add F4... Blade.. Spiderman... Hulk and in time bring in a new Avengers. Bring the world ending stakes waaay back down and build it up again like the first saga did.

Wait, are you predicting the death of Disney+, the streaming service, in its entiry? Cos that's uh, a bold stretch. I'd be first to criticise their output 'cos relying on Marvel, Star Wars and Legacy Sequels isn't a great long-term strategy, but don't underestimate the power of the "family friendly" service that has a shít tonne of favourites for households - not to mention the gargantuan Fox catalogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I find bluffing much easier if you kill someone and take their skin.

Where the fùck was Enoch with this wisdom when I played poker.

Later Agents of Shield? Or do we need to alert Gardaí?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Am I wrong but is Disney+ not horrendously loss making? Why would they keep investing in it? It'd become a shell of it self in a year or two from sold and either re-bundled/packaged as something else or merged with a different streaming service.

The season 6 finale haha.

Joel Stoffer's completely deadpan delivery of the insane lines he had to say was amazing.

Steven Yeun has dropped out from the Thunderbolts

Can't say, haven't read anything about its profitability though that's not to say it wasn't been reported as such, but honestly if the largest mainstream media company in the world - featuring some genuinely iconic brands - can't sustain a digital streaming platform, the industry truly is in trouble. I know the loss of cricket rights of all things had a big negative effect on its Indian subscriber count.

• Advertisement

Overall Disney's streaming business lost $387 million in its Q4, a year-over-year improvement of 74% from a loss of $1.4 billion in the company's Q4 2022. The top performers on streaming for the quarter were Disney and Pixar's film “Elemental” and movies “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3

a loss of $387m for Q4 2023. Yet to make a profit and Q4 2022 losses are eye watering.

I never quite warmed to that casting...hopefully they go with something more in line with the comics

John Ridley: My Scrapped Marvel TV Series Was About the Eternals — and ‘So F–king Weird’

After almost nine years, we now have clarity about — and closure for — the mysterious Marvel TV series that Academy Award winner John Ridley started developing for ABC back in 2015.

Back when the project was first leaked, it was said that Ridley was “reinventing an existing Marvel superhero character or property” for ABC, but zero details ever followed.

Until now.

As a guest on the Jan. 2 Comic Book Club podcast, Ridley was asked about said Marvel series. After pondering for a second if he ever signed an non-disclosure agreement — then surmising, “What are they going to do, fire me for the work I’m not doing?” — Ridley confirmed that the project is “not in the works anymore,” but “was a television version of the Eternals.....

They might as well have renamed the series "Kingpin".

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1sDEbhP4BY/?igsh=MXBrNHNsNnFmd21vdw==

Interestingly, first time I've seen them use footage from the Netflix side. Guess the Defenders saga is fully canon now.

Maybe in light of Kang becoming a gigantic flop, Marvel are trying to push the one villain they have that people like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I didn't mind Kingpin in Hawkeye but others seemed to believe they ruined him.

But if the character is going to be given more focus I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It seems like they've reversed course a bit. Eg Hawkeye Kingpin felt like a bulked up Kingpin who was more sanitised and less unsettling. This one feels more like back to the Daredevil version.

As @eightieschewbaccy suggests I think they struggled to marry the R Rated netflix version with Hawkeye's obviously PG sensibilities; but looks like Echo and Daredevil are finally steps back into R Ratings with the MCU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,319 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Most of the complaints I saw about Kingpin in Hawkeye was that Kate Bishop was able to beat him, which made him look weak.

Even though he got hit by a car, knocked through a brick wall, and then got knocked out by an exploding arrow which if I remember right, exploded right in his face and threw him across the room. And that was all while Kingpin was flinging Kate across the room like a ragdoll.

Kate Bishop hit him with far more than Daredevil ever did and Kingpin still managed to escape before Echo found him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep, I think that daredevil world has more visceral and realistic violence so character limits are much lower. But also tends to hit much harder on the viewer. Imho, they'd be a lot wiser to limit action sequences from the likes of Kingpin or Daredevil in the child friendly properties cause it's a bit universe breaking.

It was also jarring that suddenly the guy could take so much insane punishment in the first place; I can't remember is comics Kingpin a mutant or just an insanely big guy? Cos even the Jack Reacher show stopped short at the title character brushing off a car hitting him.

I think the whole thing of Kingpin has always been that he looks fat and overweight, but really he's just insanely muscular underneath. I don't think he has any sort of powers or abilities though.

But yeah, Daredevil beat him by punching him in the face a few times, but Kate Bishop beating him after he's been hit by a car, knocked through a brick wall and being thrown across the room by an exploding arrow apparently makes him look weak because Kate Bishop is a young girl and not a fighter like Daredevil.

As based as it was on a comic run, my main offence about Hawkeye Kingpin revolved around that horrible Hawaiian shirt he was wearing 😂

Hawkeye was always going to be a fairly harmless Christmas/Holiday romp and I enjoyed it for that. Falcon and the Winter solider was not PG but did cut back on the gore. Compare the shield decapitation with the car door from Daredevil. There's room for comic adventures for all ages, including R rated.

The Blip must have erased his tailor for 5 years

I think Hawkeye was more than that n' all: it made a really good attempt to address the mental, emotional toll being a hero involves. Nothing overwrought but just a really solid shakedown of the pressures - and fallout - of being a superhero.

The little touch of making Clint deaf, and requiring a hearing aid, was a masterstroke; the scene where his youngest son talks to him on the phone - but he can't hear - was genuinely heartbreaking stuff as Jeremy Renner's face cracked and kept the tears back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For me, the villains are always the best part of comic books, Batman is probably the best example of this but it goes across most characters, I don't see the need for the main villain to be central to all movies.

• Phase 1 - introduction with Loki as the big bad, Thanos in the background
    • Phase 2 - Hydra as the baddie with Thanos still in the background
    • Phase 3 - Internal struggle with Thanos coming out of the background

Now they have painted themselves where the last baddie was able to take out half the universe and wield a weapon that killed Iron Man when he used it, their next baddie either has to be as powerful or be a master of puppets, maybe the likes of Magneto could be setup

• Advertisement

Magneto is very hard to go full villain a la Thanos.

Advertisement