Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It'll be 4 (at best) years of "we inherited this problem from FFG, its not our fault"

But people want to live close to urban centres? Its not just about working locally. I know many people who moved out of Dublin during covid and are all trying to move back because while it might be cheaper to live in X, there is a reason its cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'll probably end up voting for SF in the next election.

Not my first choice but they'll most likely end up with my vote by transfer.

I don't expect them to fix the housing crisis within two years.

It's been allowed get so bad that nobody could.

I'll consider it a huge improvement on today's situation if

a) they're making an honest effort.

b) they're willing to make meaningful interventions to the construction industry, and shift away from this failed approach of prioritising a nonexistent free market.

I've no doubt that's happened in some cases.

I'm happy to be able to live away from one of the bigger cities and a lot of people I work with remotely express the same.

Probably a thing that suits some but not others. I'd guess age is a factor too.

"a) they're making an honest effort."

What does that even mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

My fear with SF is that they take measures that seem reasonable to them but will have the effect of reducing supply overall. Then, to combat the further rise in prices due to reduced supply, they will introduce price caps, which will further discourage supply and create even larger numbers unable to find accommodation.

An example of this might be opposing supply of up-market housing on the basis that average ftbs and renters can't afford it. By doing so, they will fail to realize that this merely puts those with money in direct competition with those lower down the scale driving prices up at the lower levels or, if caps are put in place, creating queues of people trying to buy or rent.

In other words, taking a simplistic Marxist view of things and thereby making the very problem they are trying to solve even worse.

But it may be that we as a people need to go through a phase of SF failure to flush bad ideologies out of the system so we can move on.

This.

Bringing the average house price in Dublin down to 300K will make it next to impossible for the average person to own one, as the above average people will just become landlords again.

If SF tank house prices but don't impact my salary, why wouldn't I buy houses to invest in? I know they are going to go back up, thats just what happens to house prices.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't expect them to fix the housing crisis within two years.

Anyone who would have such a short term expectation is a fool!

a) they're making an honest effort.

What exactly is an "honest effort"? If they bugger the economy and tank the housing market but they had good intentions, is that ok in your view? Because their knowledge of economics so far is dire to the point that it really should be worrying people (but maybe they're just being taken in by the populist nonsense).

b) they're willing to make meaningful interventions to the construction industry, and shift away from this failed approach of prioritising a nonexistent free market.

What interventions are they willing to make because so far, all they've done is hurl from the ditch? They have had opportunities both at council level in the Republic and NI and also at Assembley level in NI and yet they've done nothing of what you seem to be expecting them to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am no fan of SF.

I think that rents must halve, and house prices must fall maybe 20-25%.

I would like to hear a politican say:

"rents are too high and need to fall"

"house prices are too high and need to fall"

Although I would traditionally support FF and FG, they will not come out and directly state this, so my support for them has fallen away.

Although EOB plan has many holes in it, at least he has a plan to reduce the soft costs of construction.

All FF and FG do is introduce schemes that add to demand, like HTB and shared equity.

A party that did something like the follows would get my vote:

savage, penal taxes on land to drive land costs down 90%

reduce finance costs massively

de-risk construction to reduce developers margins

• Registered Users Posts: 19,838 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why makes you so certain of a high correlation between those who cannot currently afford houses, and those whose employment prospects would be relatively worse during a recession?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Given that you need developers to build the necessary housing, what makes you think they would continue to do so if the purchase price and profits fall sharply and there is a penal tax on the land that becomes unprofitable to build on?

You would vote for the party which stops developers building, to solve the housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Reduce the 'soft' costs of construction? How? EOB listed 3 things

Builders margin- what company will quote for projects with no margin? Very likely that the 'margin' will be incorporated into the quoted cost anyway.

Sales and marketing- what is covered here and how will it be reduced? The bureaucracy of administering the overall plan will dwarf this cost.

Cost of finance- I assume this is to the developer not the purchaser I.e. financing the construction cost. How will this be cut- state borrowing at a lower rate? How will this be achieved? Cost will be borne by taxpayer, not a reduction in real terms.

Soft costs is a nice catchphrase but I'd like to see the hard detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It seems a lot of people think they can cut the margin of the workers, in a time when we haven't enough construction people and cutting the wages would mean more of them moving overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Eoin O Broin is saying he will solve a housing issue by making a government body be a more efficient administrator than profit-oriented private companies, by getting construction companies to work for free, and by getting free money from the market.

How how how?

Eoin says a lot, like a lot of Sinn fein. Would you scratch the surface then the issues start to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭pureza

He's not actually saying that to be fair

He's saying he'll make a government body build the houses with public funds without the government body needing to make a profit at all

You can still hire commercial companies at commercial rates if that's your strategy

You and I making up the cost with our taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Ok, so there will be an additional layer of cost, this new public body.

and again I go back to the issue of construction workers, who is he getting to work on these houses?

How is he paying them? is he taking existing staff from construction companies in Ireland?

Are these staf becoming state employee? are they entitled to a full state pension?

If so he is not reducing the price of a house but massively increasing it while also reducing the output for a couple of years while he creates this magical government construction company

I asked the poster of this where they got the chart and they never answered.

I was suspicious about the numbers so went and had a look for it myself.

The only result I can find is a reddit site where a poster talks about creating a version of this graph themselves.

Whether it's a genuine error in trying to create the graph or an attempt to put fake numbers out there, in short it's b****x

Here's a link to some CSO data showing housing output since the 1970's. Where we are now is just a little above the numbers we produced in the 1975 and 1980. Factoring in that we now have a significantly larger population, it's accurate to say that we produce now less houses per 1,000 people than we did in 1975 and 1980.

And of course we're nowhere near the peak Celtic Tiger years of 90k houses per year.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-mip/measuringirelandsprogress2012/economy/economy-housing/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...id like to see exactly where hes been saying he ll get companies to work for free, and this so called free money please?

• Advertisement

The only way it "works" is if all these builders are effectively civil servants and work for the state directly. If you contract out at all then you are paying for the contractors profit.

The challenges I see off the top of my head:

1) Finding all these people without just taking them from existing builders (as that will just increase the cost of building and hence increase the cost of houses)

2) Creating this government body for a cost that is below the existing margin costs

3) Dealing with the inevitable inefficiencies of workers who cannot be fired

It does seem to be a reddit source, here is an update version that looks a little different

Plus as state employee they are entitled to a pension.

So that will also have to be included. Plus all the additional people in the new or bigger state department to manage this.

I think if anyone does the maths on this in the government the cost of the house will be massive, even if they are talking about selling it at no margin so cost=price.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...so a market based approach to housing will be better, i.e. what we re doing right now is just grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭pureza

Why all the questions when the answer is simple

Private contractors are paid whatever they want to build houses for the government

They stop what they're doing because the government pays more

They don't become state employees

We the taxpayer pay for this

What could possibly go wrong ?

"what we re doing right now is just gradn!"

I don't think I said that and I already outlined on this thread what I think we should do to help resolve the housing issue, just over next few years.

There is a developers margin

There is the builders margin

SF plan is to reduce the first profit margin.

Yes, more detail is required.

I am friendly with a financial controller of a property developer. The banks lending to them expect them to make 15% net profits on the ex-VAT selling price.

Their cost of finance is very high, it is like ECB + 4% plus a 1% arrangement fee. It is not far off 10% interest rate.

It would be a great if somebody/anybody could reduce this cost of finance.

In all of my posts I never mentioned reducing any of the hard costs.

The only thing the government should be involved in is council/state housing. They need to stay out of the private housing market or they will break it, as subsidies etc. undermine the whole premise of a free market.

They should be providing cheap dwellings at the bottom of the market price. Their remit is to provide housing for the people at the bottom, who cannot get onto the private housing ladder.

Now they cannot be crappy shacks, but I think its a valid question to ask if they really need to meet all the current private housing standards. Ideally they would be blocks of apartments with common amenities, but frankly I dont know how you prevent these from becoming slums.

• Advertisement

So now the banks lose out? Who pays to cover this shortfall?

Or are you suggesting a state bank that lends money without expecting to make a profit?

It seems this whole "reduced/no margin" approach requires everyone in the chain to accept low/no margin. Which means that the state needs to be every part of the chain, which will reduce margins, but massively increase costs

Advertisement