Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To be honest, I’m moving away from the Volvo. I’d buy a Seal before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭John arse

I don't think I'll change now till 2025 , might look at the Volvo during the year although the screen looks fiddly and maybe even a bit dangerous (maybe voice control would work instead?), good luck 👍.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irish  don

Hi anybody get a collection date for Byd seal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Read the last 2 pages various dates been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Still waiting for date from BYD South Dublin. Test drove and put deposit down on the first day they had it. Think some people had put deposits down before that though. Just have to impatiently wait, I'm hoping next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Anyone arranging finance/PCP with BYD or are ye all flying solo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I've not decided yet if I'll pay cash or do HP but 6.9% fixed is the HP rate via BOI so reckon cash is a better option.

I'm trading a BMW i4 M50 so the amount of equity I have means PCP not an option but they definitely had decent PCP options.

Mine was ready for collection in Cork today but I'm out of the country for a few week so will collect mid month when I'm back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corklike1

So the info I can share so far:

Dealer in Cork told me that the entire first shipment had blue interiors and so I will have to wait.

They are not changing the indicator stalk to the other side as was rumored in uk

Bolands in wexford and Waterford are charging the exact same "on the road" price as MSL.

I was advised probably late January I will have a car available (deposit placed in Cork mid December for black exterior and interior)

After the first few shipments which will be just random cars, dealers will start ordering cars for specific customers, but for now byd are just sending whatever and the dealers are matching them up with existing deposits in a waiting list system.

Dealers don't know how much the data will cost after the first 2 years of free data (2GB per month)

OTA updates do not count towards data usage.

You can buy your car from any BYD garage and honor your warranty and servicing at any other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grumpygit

"Dealer in Cork told me that the entire first shipment had blue interiors and so I will have to wait."

From watching social media it seems New Zealand only got black interiors and are waiting on a blue shipment. Seems like BYD just took whatever was coming off the production line and loaded them on ships, luck of the draw on what any country got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's really disappointing re: the MSL tax even with other dealers.

Must be a tax thing, but disappointing for the buyer nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭John arse

With respect but is an i4 M50 albeit used not worth a lot more than a new seal?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jobrien19

I'm guessing he has too much equity in the BWM if that makes sense so his deposit would be too high for the PCP on the Seal I'd imagine. Some dealers will give you the max deposit when you're trade in is worth more than the PCP deposit and then refund you the difference between the trade in value and the max PCP deposit allowed on the vehicle.

Think the point was, wouldn't a 1yr old i4 be worth more than a brand new Seal? Not an equity discussion per se. Maybe it's older.

That’s why I was asking about trade in value. His i4 has to be worth more than €46k, which is what the Seal costs.

Last time I did this was with Tesla and they refunded me the difference in cash but that was 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Would be great to have your thoughts after a while on the Seal coming from a more premium positioned car. Seems like for many the crux is the infotainment and assists but they are getting improved through frequent OTA updates so hopefully you'll be happy making the change!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think he gave a good write up earlier in thread after his test drives.

As above I've too much equity for PCP which typically maxes out at 30%.

Maybe some comments assume I owned the i4 M50 outright ... I did not. There is a nice chunk of equity for me towards the Seal and a settlement to BMW.

So my choices are a relatively minor HP loan or similarly sized cash contribution.

HP is at 6.9%.

To be honest, I never even thought of that. I just assumed full ownership cost wise. Completely forget there may have been some monies due.

I envy anyone who's buying a 90k car with no finance.

I'm not there yet anyway 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Ah yes, I remember that, same as myself for my test drive but there's only so much you can get a feel for in 30 odd minutes.

With i4 asking prices now on the slide, is there genuinely equity there for anyone who didn't put up a huge deposit?

My case is unique (checkout the i4 thread) so I have substantial equity.

Can't comment on anyone else as everyone's financial situation is their own business but it would be unusual to have much if any equity in a car after a year without a huge deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

The i4 is a stunning car, the BYD is nice but there is no comparison.

Subjective comment.

Having owned both the e40 and the m50 I'd beg to differ.

Half the price, longer range, interior quality appeared roughly the same to me.

The BMW software and firmware is questionable, they already messed up the ability to charge via Zappi solar surplus and it'll be at least Q2 before they fix it.

Customer service? A premium experience? Don't make me laugh.

If you place a premium on branding then I'd agree. BMW brand is undeniably more aligned with quality and superiority, but given my experience of the i4 I'd argue that brand loyalty in the age of EVs is pointless.

Which company makes more EVs?

Which company has been making EVs for longer?

Which company has superior battery tech?

Which company rolls out upgrades and updates OTA more frequently?

I've driven BMWs for 20 years but with the move to EVs it just doesn't make sense for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

Tesla are scrap, that is my experience, you don’t rate an i4.

BYD are nice but lack an image, just like Tesla.

Not everyone will concur with either/any of these statements.

I had access to the Joe Duffy demo car for a period on launch.

Posted in here about that the time.

Normal high bmw standards. Just not a great EV. Too small in the back compared to cars of a similar size and cheaper. Too expensive at the the time due to rising costs and reducing spec. Transmission tunnel in the rear is lazy dual platform design further increasing the sense of claustrophobic conditions in the rear.

My i3 is twice the EV the i4 is. Proper EV from the ground up, designed perfectly.

Ordered i4 at €63k, was delayed. Told month after month it was being delayed. Deposit was fully refundable so there was no risk leaving it hanging there. Then told that when it does come, we don’t honor original pricing. I had no trade in, was buying cash so had nothing to play against them. Car jumped to €70k with bit removed because of parts shortages. Had a Tesla order in the background no risk as they fully refund you. Ended up taking the performance Tesla for significantly cheaper, better performance and cleaner minimalist design. Glad I did now with all this depreciation crap going on.

The charging port still has the holder for the petrol flap. Lazy!

Im a bmw fanboy. Still have 3 of them. So I’m commenting from a place of experience yes.

Premium advertising doesn’t equal a premium product.

• Advertisement

I find the entire rivalry thing entertaining to be honest, although mostly manufactured and entirely destructive.

There's an EV for everyone, every taste, every user profile.

Biggie v 2Pac

iPhone v Android

Tesla v BYD.

Useful for comparison purposes but everyone has their own preferences. Don't see why people get so butthurt about others.

Advertisement