Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Not back to work till the 8th monday ,sitting here still admiring my christmas tree it will stay up with the outside lights until the 6th, but feeling as if i missed Christmas as it came and went so fast again but it will come around as fast again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Once again I just want to thank everyone for posting here, during the busy Christmas season it's easy to find the Christmas spirit most years, but it's the other 10/11 months of the year is when we need it the most and that is where this forum really delivers keeping us all going throughout the year.

Only 34 days to go to our next Bank Holiday of 2024!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Hope the first day back wasn't too bad for those that were in. I was quiet on here as was spending time up in Dublin with the family.

It was a brilliant Christmas and not gonna lie nearly felt like crying going back! But we go again next year, a great one ahead!

Also to mention the darts given it's part of the build up - that Littler lad is a joy to watch can't wait to see the final tomorrow!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Littler is so good. How he is playing so calmly is beyond me. Wiser than his age appears to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have to be honest, not taking to him at all, real whiff of arrogance off him. Hope Humphries wins it as he's been the best player in the world for the last year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

In the Omni sc Santry today. Nice to see all the Christmas lights still on. Was very busy too, felt like Christmas week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Thought TV would be back to normal being most people back at work but how often would you see BBC1 and ITV showing films on a Tuesday night at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Tippman24

I saw some advertisement on the television today for some crowd encouraging people to join their Christmas 2024 Savings Club. We had one lady in the Office who ran a Savings Club something similar for a few years.It was very hard to get around the thought in January of putting money away for something a full 12 months away, but it was great getting a few hundred into your paw coming the payout day in early December. The positive feeling lasted all the way home until she who must be obeyed was met. Anyway Happy New Year to all. Just think that there is somebody going into work somewhere this week whose job will be to start making stuff for Xmas 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not back into work today but I still had to spend about 4hrs on the laptop doing work. Grrrrr

However, regarding lights and decorations, our estate has quite a few older people in it so although the decorations go up a good bit later, they keep them up until the 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

I've to do a graveyard run to the family graves sometime this week. I got these little mini Christmas Trees that I decorated with mini baubles & also artificial wreaths that I decorated the graves with at the start of December for the Christmas season. My intention is to save a bit of money & re-use them each year, instead of real ones. Here's hoping the recent wild weather hasn't sent them all in various directions around the cemeteries 🤞.

Post edited by gidget on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Just doing the Lego "Santa visit" set.

The set is 18+ however I was building with the elves.

On one of the instruction pages it states , something to the effect of "presents are hidden around the house as a nod to parents who had to go the extra mile to hide them from curious children "

I suppose it is innocent enough and could be easily explained away but it was a shock to see it there.

So anyone else sitting down with elves to do it, be warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah I acknowledged the fact it was 18+ .....it's Lego I would see that as a technical ability, not that there's "adult content"

However building Lego is a nice way to spend time with your kids.

We've already built the Christmas tree, wreath, gingerbread decorations, polar bears and Santa's sleigh.

I wasn't expecting that sentence in the instructions.

I posted in good faith to give a heads up to any other parents who may have the set to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

My whole family do a savings club for Christmas. Each member give various amounts to my mother who puts it's weekly into the credit union and takes it out two weeks before Christmas then. I put 20 a wk in. It's great being handed €1000 in the run up.

Post edited by Smell the glove on

Well, back at my desk. The drive in wasn't bad (very little traffic, hope its the same this evening) but not having Christmas FM on was a tiny bit of a downer, must remind myself of that next November when its back, its for such a short run it needs to be savoured.

Anyway, was greeted by all the office Christmas decorations still in place, they'll probably come down next Monday after little Christmas but cheered me up nonetheless. Will be interesting to see if there many decorations in houses still up when driving home, I certainly hope so anyway.

Only 40 odd emails to review so that's not too bad as I doubt a quarter will require any action.

Hoping to be not too busy today (office should be quiet) so will look to catch up in here & another few bits.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Day 2 - still could not get out of bed. Littlest elf asked me when she came pottering down the hall after 8am "Mam, why we up in the middle of the night". Still I'm off tomorrow so not too bad. Although we will start the slow de-Christmas of the house 😭 We will take the sitting room tree down as the man is coming to collect it on Saturday at some stage. We've a wedding on Sat too so don't want to be killing myself & going wrecked to it. I Think I will leave my garland on the mantlepiece up until the Bank Holiday though. I did that last year & it gave a nice cheer to the room in the dark Jan evenings.

Speaking of 'de-christmas-ing' the house, my Mrs started to take down a few peripheral bits yesterday, and will carry on doing that until the weekend so in theory all we'll have to take down are the trees on Sunday. I'll take down the external stuff on Saturday as the forecast is currently for it to be dry.

I suspect it'll take most of the weekend to get everything down & packed away carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We've started little bits like that - Mr. CL is currently stripping the Christmas bedding off the beds & I've all the Christmas jumpers in the wash. I'll start lining up the Christmas delph later on to box away tomorrow. Like that, it will take us a few days to do it & then the house will need another deep clean.

I’m starting taking bits down today as well. Mrs Loughc was complaining about lack of space with all the newborn and toddler stuff around.

While I protested initially I just said look Christmas 2024 we won’t need the Moses basket or sleeping pods etc so we can leave everything up uninterrupted for the 2024 season and every year after that.

• Advertisement

We have the Christmas bedding stripped & waiting to be washed, we dont have a tumble dryer so will be watching the weather forecast closely to see when we can get out on the line!

The backlog of washing is off the charts as it is... really do need to invest in a decent dryer.

Lovely morning for the walk to crèche this morning. Myself and Elf1 slept in late unplanned this morning. But it was nice dropping him off without the morning rush cause of work.

So sick of the rat race lately but the lotto isn’t working for me either. And I can’t grow a good Santa beard so that occupation is out as well I do have his belly at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Still sitting with the glow of the Christmas tree I am sure my neighbour is horrified 🤣 I don’t get it….with this glory they give themselves for taking down their Christmas tree early

Anyone with toddlers and still loving Christmas tv there is a good 45 min show on Netflix Spookley & Christmas Kittens the cat is called mistletoe my little one is loving it she’s taking it all in

We use to do a family saving club too but stopped about 7 years ago I’m going to buy some Dunnes Stamps monthly for the Christmas shop and put another bit aside too. All the extra bits for the house, yourself, gifts and children add up

I am mentally doing notes on what I was short off for Christmas and what extra decorating I would like to do this year

@gidget I’m the same I look after the family graves I love picking up little bits to add to wreath’s or trees in Knick knack shops

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Our neighbours next door have their tree down, just noticed yesterday. They had it up early in November so I suppose they were sick looking at it whereas we put ours up first weekend in December and will leave it up til this coming weekend at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

I have no intention of taking anything Christmas related down till Saturday morning and will probably still have stuff up on Sunday.

Last day off work so we'll head out for some lunch in a few hours just to stretch the very last bit of joy out of the time off before day 1 workwise of 2024 starts tomorrow.

Is anyone going on the "dry" for January?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

As people have been mentioning saving for Christmas 2024 I just thought that I’d mention that Aldi do a Christmas savings card. You can top it up at the till to a total of €500, very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Yeah @BK5 I am going dry I am not much of a drinker these days but it’s so easy to have a couple most days over the Christmas

I stopped drinking in April 2020 before I was pregnant and went 2 years plus without a drink I would say I slept better, more energy

anyone else cutting back or doing dry January?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I don’t normally do dry January but I will this year.

I dont really do dry January as like others wouldnt be a big drinker anyway throughout the year and could go weeks without alcohol of any description.

Will definitely be cutting out sugar & crisps though, I did the dog on them both over Christmas & am disgusted with myself for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I saw a post somewhere just before Christmas that said something along the lines of 'Don't worry about what you eat between Christmas and New Years and focus on what you eat between New Year and Christmas'.

I ate the usual amounts of chocolates and crisps and desserts but after reading that I didn't beat myself up about it, I enjoyed myself and will get back to my normal eating (or hopefully a bit better) very soon.

Advertisement