Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

That doesn't support your claim that "people have a legal right to travel to any country to claim asylum".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That poster , is me, and everything I stated is correct and facts.

there is no requirement to claim asylum in the first safe country they get to.

the Dublin Regulations state, that if asylum is sought in one country, then it cannot be sought in a second country. The second country can by law, send them back to the first country that they claimed asylum in.

nothing to do with travelling through countries. But you know that, because regular posters on the thread have seen it explained many times.

The emotive language is those who are calling asylum seekers, illegal immigrants. They know exactly what they are diung. It is dehumanizing, they are criminalizing people who are not criminals.

I'm not one but emotional, I'm stating facts, they are not illegal and you know well why posters keep repeating that they are.

taking asylum seekers into this country, handing them a few quid and sending out to live on the streets is dehumanising though.

I completely agree.

And stop with the soapbox stuff, facts are what are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Just under 130k refugees and asylum seekers now in Ireland according to this cheerleader/ journalist. I thought it was 100k. Family reunification will be a cherry on top of that figure.

We are well and truly up the river without a paddle unfortunately.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/01/03/ireland-waved-goodbye-to-its-world-famous-welcome-last-year/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Disinformation, disinformation - it's their new favourite word. Disinformation like claiming Algerians and Georgians are fleeing war and persecution? Nope, that's completely true because they are all totally legit claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

If you truly value facts you would have addressed that issue and left it there.

Instead you've used it as a platform to pontificate from.

The only relevant fact in this discussion right now is that Ireland is demonstrably incapable of dealing with the asylum seekers that are already here to the point where we are actively failing them and by extension the people of Ireland, most acutely the poorer people in Irish society.

We have a legal obligation to receive asylum seekers but we have no legal obligation to ensure people of any background have a place to live.

It's like having a glass full of water and continuing to pour more and more water into it, it's spilling everywhere and it's just not a tenable situation anymore.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LongfordMB

Mod

Warned for this

I did address it. I made one post correcting the lies.

You actually kept it going.

You don't seem to have a solution other then stop asylum seekers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

I don't wanna see anymore accusations of people being A.I or discussing other posters on thread or anything else for that matter, if you have a problem with a post report it and we will have a look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

mykrodot thread banned

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Tell us suvigirl, what do YOU propose to do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

No it doesn't.

But feel free to come back highlighting the relevant Law/Treaty that proves "people have a legal right to travel to any country to claim asylum".

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LongfordMB

If the claim for asylum is fraudulent, then they are illegal migrants. Last I checked making fraudulent claims was illegal.

Under what legislation?

If a claim is not successful, the applicant will be told. If they are the end of the road, they will be issued a deportation order.

if they stay after that, they are illegal immigrants.

Yes it does.

claiming asylum is a legal right. There is nothing to legally stop anyone claiming asylum in the country they choose. If you believe differently, please show us, perhaps I'm totally wrong. (Obviously there are countries that did not sign up to The Geneva Convention. )

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is clear: “there is no requirement under international law for asylum-seekers to seek protection in the first safe country they reach”.

This seems very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

About the rapidly growing public disquiet concerning immigration in it's various forms into this state. This is not just an Irish concern, such concerns are found across Europe and the EU now.

You can spout on all you want about international obligations but if it doesn't wash with the public it matters not a whit. This country governs by consent, not force and you should know that very well I would have thought.

Is that what the poster was asking me about? Public disquiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

The questions is: what are you proposing we do about intaking so many refugees/AS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

well i can probably offer a guess seeing the usual narrative from the other side - invest more money in centre build more modular homes on state lands - do more. international obligations like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You know very well what he was asking, I’m tempted to say just look at his post but to try and get an answer I’ll ask, what’s your solution for housing all the increasing numbers arriving?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'm not engaging in this willful misrepresentation of what's going on here.

I replied to a post you made a few days ago, the point of which was to move the discussion away from one posters misunderstanding of the legality of the situation, you replied asking what my post had to do with that posters opinion you have continually attempted to keep that issue front and centre. Now you're saying I'm responsible for keeping that issue going, classic Gaslighting.

I haven't offered any solutions, I have merely commented on the fact that the state continues to bring asylum seekers into the country despite the absolute lack of housing for them as well as Irish citizens.

The idea that "Ireland is full" is seen as some sort of far right rhetoric when in reality it is an observable fact. Ireland is not able to house all the people living here regardless of where they come from and that is an enormous issue that there are no simple answers to.

What I find perplexing is the idea that bringing endless amounts of asylum seekers into a country with no housing available for huge numbers of people across all social strata, is the "kind" thing to do and that questioning that logic is in some way a display of intolerance or hatred.

Do people with intolerant views exist in this space? Of course, that doesn't equate to everyone who questions the wisdom of bringing endless numbers of asylum seekers into the country as being motivated by hatred.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

But as the examples in this thread show they will still be kept in DP, no?

It's the same answer that it has always been.

government need to start investing and building, more and more. There has always been a housing problem in this country. At the beginning of the state, in the 30s & 40s and again in the 60s & 70s. At least the governments in those years undertook large scale building.

we have 1.5 million Irish born living overseas, it's clearly obvious that governments have not been supplying services for our own population for decades. we may have 750,000 immigrants, but that is still less then the Irish born population.

There is serious mismanagement of funds and services which needs to be improved. Now.

I'm not interested in giving them a way out, I want the government to do what they should be doing. No point in putting there things off, start now.

social housing stock should never have been sold off. Future stock should be kept in state ownership.

(I say that as someone that grew up in social housing that later was purchased from the council)

You would find a lot less complaints about asylum seekers and refugees, if the people in the state thought they were being treated fairly, and that services are of a standard they deserve.

the asylum system is outrageously slow, this needs to be streamlined and made much faster, so we don't have people waiting years for decisions, the very most any decision should take us 9/12 months.

I believe every single immigrant living in this country should be required to register their domicile. This is normal in many other EU states, it's time we did it here.

I may have forgotten something.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sive60

Realistically where are they going to go.

If they were workers with skills needed then they could get well paying jobs and support themselves.

Young highly educated Irish people cant find places to rent and landlords will choose them over someone living in Direct Provision for years with no work history or references.

If the council allocate council housing to non nationals over Irish people on lists for years that will act as an incendiary device, I could literally see council houses being set on fire if its perceived they are being allocated to newcomers before native people.

Its the Irish people living in poverty who are most impacted by the massive increase in population, snide remarks about very few people caring if busloads of men are put in isolated rural areas shows a very patronising attitude.

Further comments such as immigration isnt a concern for most Irish people, how can anyone other than public reps make this claim, public reps are most certainly getting abuse and grief over asylum seekers , refugees, economic migrants, its irrelevant what you term the issue, the fact is there are too many arriving and the authorities cant cope.

Only if they have an appeal in. When all avenues are exhausted, they are given a deportation order and can not stay in DP Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sive60

But lets start with today.

We have 130,000 refugees, asylum seekers,economic migrants, three hundred of them are in tents on the street.

There are only so many hotels, B and Bs, so if numbers keep coming what fo we do.

There will be a huge increase in those coming from Ukraine as they will be advised by those who returned to Ukraine on holidays that payments and free accomodation arrangements are changing soon.

Where are we going to put these people, every empty building that could be put to use is in danger of being set on fire, there is now a dangerous lack of trust in the Government, people know they will be assured buildings being renovated are for Irish families but then bus loads of men may be shipped in at midnight and this wont happen in Dalkey or Killiney, you may be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great post but that kind of sensible/constructive posting won't get many likes.

However if you said we should burn things, 36 likes right away! 😂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Exhibit A on failure of government to build houses. This time last year...

Not A Single Home Has Been Built On State-Owned Land In The Past Four Years (extra.ie)

Not a single home has been built on State-owned land in the past four years

Not a single home has been built on State-owned land in the past four years, despite the country being in the grip of a chronic housing crisis.

The Government’s Land Development Agency (LDA) has come under fire following the damning revelation, described as ‘deeply disappointing’ by industry experts and opposition TDs.

The LDA, set up in 2018, was given € 1.25 billion to speed up construction of 150,000 homes over 20 years on State land and 10,000 homes were earmarked for sites around the country.

When the LDA was set up, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar promised it would ‘hit the ground running’, describing it as ‘one of the most significant ever State interventions in the housing market’.

But new figures show the agency’s flagship programme, Project Tosaigh, delivered just 270 homes – which were purchased from private developers Cairn Homes, the O’Flynn Group and Whitebox Group rather than built by the LDA itself.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement