Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Everything he has said is true , along with numerous other western military analysts, but on this thread that's a big no no depending on the post count, they can't or won't dispute it ,

This time last year people were slagging the Russians digging trenches, minefields and installing dragons teeth, only this week the Ukrainians have actually started digging their own multilayer defences , Just as the Russians did this time last year,

And yet he's right....

Do tell what exactly is he spoofing about he's been pretty much on the ball with his commentary,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Seems the majority of German leopard 2s given last year are out of service or lost, the Ukrainians want the Germans to increase there capacity in Lithuania to repair vehicles quicker...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Russia is still exporting large quantities of oil around the world. In the war of independence a plan was drawn up to plant bombs on british export ships to increase the pressure on the british Government. Would Ukraine consider such an idea? Perhaps undersea drones etc.?

• Advertisement

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Reportedly it was full of NATO general's and bio weapon scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well with all of this Brics currency business, and getting mixed up with Indian Rupees, Russian Ruble, Chinese Remimbi,, Bitcoin etc. It could well be when it's all unwound, India may well have 6'000 Russian Tanks in its possession, but has Putin been paid yet for his tanks???

On that point re all the same at the top, Russian or Ukrainian, we will have to differ. With Putin, he's completely detached from what's happening on the ground with his people. He sent 360'000 of them to their deaths and caused a further 700.000 of them to be injured, to the extent that most of them will never live a normal life again. He's planning a further mobilization of at least 300'000 Russian males, once the election is over with. He's never been even remotely near Donbass, let alone on the front lines, He's a murderous bastard, check how many people who have been killed on his orders? How many Russians are in prison for speaking out against him? Putin has full control over what he's doing and can stop it whenever he wants.

Zelensky is the complete opposite. He's fighting because he has to fight, He stayed even when he was offered a safe way out of Ukraine. He' supports his people each and every way he can, He's a frequent visitor to the front lines, and elsewhere, There's a saying " Cometh the hour, cometh the man". Rarely has that saying been matched to the man, but it's made for Zelensky. Both men, Putin and Zelensky, will be well remembered in the history books, bur for diametrically opposed reasons, Zelensky the hero, and Putin the monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

https://novayagazeta.eu/articles/2024/01/02/nasilstvennaia-mobilizatsiia

use translate on page

If Russia has endless manpower then why are they resorting to grabbing non Russians celebrating New Year’s Eve and sending them to die?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

The opposite is equally true though. The 3 day war prophecy was way off target, likewise all the posters here saying since May 2022 Russia would run out of ammunition in a few weeks and predicting every square centimetre of lost territory would be regained in 2023 while the Russian army fled back to Moscow has also turned out to be wildly inaccurate.

Both sides have repeatedly assessed the other side's endurance and capabilities incorrectly, the simple fact is that for over a year now, despite all the suffering, neither side has made significant progress and there is little sign this will change in the next months.

@Field east "(1) how much damage has UKr caused behind the front lines - to roads , bridges, ports , arms depots"

I recently read 306 depos for 2023. That's almost one every day.

You deflected from the article tho and went off on an unrelated rant

why?

the question stands if Russia has endless manpower why do they need to gang press foreigners, which btw I am fairly sure is another war crime

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭glen123

This is your personal opinion. However if you went to Ukraine and spoke to people or managed to get some of the refugees here in Ireland to talk to you honestly, without being politically correct and saying what Europeans want to hear, you'd find that Zelensky has very little support and very few think he is a hero. Russian speaking population is allergic to him because of the the language laws alone he signed being Russian speaking himself. Western Ukraine population is allergic to both him and the East/South Russian speaking population because they couldn't care less about Crimea and Donbas as they consider them traitors. You'd be surprised how many people in the country, especially older population, couldn't care less who sits on Bankova - whether it's Zelenky, Poroshenko or some Putin puppet...because in their opinion they are all the same - greedy b******s.

As for mobilization, same is planned in Ukraine. In fact, the new Defense minister is implementing a system similar to Russian one - to mobilize people electronically as opposed to closing off streets in the attempt to catch as many men as possible and stick a piece of paper into their hands. Many Ukrainian soldiers are fighting for nearly 2 years because Ukraine has run out of volunteers that want to fight for their country (not my words, but General Marchenko's from his interview one week ago).

Why do you think in the country of 40 odd million people there are no more volunteers that want to fight? Surely Zelensky's hero status and his appearances here and there near the front line should be enough to inspire a few hundred thousand of men to loose their lives for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Must be irritating for some that a Russian puppet is not in charge of Ukraine alright and that the Russian army has to execute Ukraine supporters in the occupied areas to maintain control.

I find it interesting that they are trying to deflect and downplay higher up the thread the news from Russian media that Russia is now forcibly rounding up foreigners to be shipped to the front

Must be running out of men in occupied territories to feed into the chipper

• Advertisement

First, as for the personal opinion's, you have never actually been in either Ukraine or Russia? your opinion is formed only from talking to Ukrainian refugees?? Correct? Hear say in other words? Now for sure that's about as far from an unbiased selection as you will get. My opinion is formed from personal experience, not hearsay. I've been in and out of Ukraine prewar, but I've lived in Putins Russia for the best part of 4 years. Any former USSR / Russian Federation state are ALL corrupt, bar none. Thats the bottom line breaking away from Russia, where Corruption is the norm. Since they left Russia Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Poland, have all thrived. And the main reason they have thrived is that they have massively reduced corruption levels. Ukraine and Moldova are in the process of joining, and when they do, they will follow the same track. But presently the corruption is still alive and well in Ukraine, but not to the same extent that it once was. The EU has it under the corruption microscope. No elimination of Corruption? No EU membership.

As for not being willing to fight, I've worked in a lot of Countries that were at war, Afghanistan, Kosovo, Libya, Iran, Syria Chechnya, Sudan, Bosnia, etc. but I've never seen in any of them a willingness of 100% of the population to fight. Thats par for the course. So why out of a population of 40 million are more not volunteering to as you put it " lose their lives for him" They are not losing their lives for Zelensky, they are dying protecting homeland and Families ( and the EU) unlike all the Russians that are dying not for protecting their homeland and families, but for Putin's mad dream of empire, a man who would most definitely take the ride, and not ammunition. And he has now confiscated the passports of all military aged men, so they have very little or no chance of escaping his murderous clutches. Given a choice (and like most of the democratic world, I'd take Zelensky any day over Putin.

And what do you suggest Glen? Hand Ukraine back to Putin?

Post edited by jmreire on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

Mentioning Zelensky in the same sentence as "Putins Puppets" caught my attention..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Glen123, Have you actually ever been to Ukraine? Have you ever visited any ex Soviet Union countries, seen the genocide & oppression of Soviet Russian imperialism in their many historical museums. Just because some Ukrainians speak Russian, doesn't mean they want to become ruled by Russia. Most people in Ireland speak English but don't want to be ruled by the British.

Ukrainians speaking Russian also doesn't mean they are Russian as above. The rest of your posts on the subject of Ukraine are standard Tankie supporting Russian propaganda memes as constantly parroted by evil scumbags like Mick Wallace & Clare Daly . You obviously don't respect the sovereignty of Ukraine, it's internationally recognised legal borders & the rights of that nation.

The fact that millions of Russian speaking Ukrainians chose to go to Europe and elsewhere internally in Ukraine (and for that matter millions of Russian military aged men too) and not Russia tells you all you need to know about what they think of Russia

Literally voting with their feet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've heard of that paper purely because of the editor winning the Nobel Peace prize a few years ago. Didn't realise it was so easy to read in English. Thanks for that.

If you are so curious to know, I lived there during USSR times as well as during independence. All my family and friends are still there. I am from the West of the country, Ukrainian speaking, so I am close enough to local opinions to know what really goes on as opposed to getting the info from X :) I am also regularly dealing with refugees from Ukraine in Ireland to know what they think.

As to Russian propaganda, firstly I only read Ukrainian news and anything I quoted above came from those sources.

Just because I don't like Zelensky and his policies and don't consider him a hero, makes me pro-Putin's Russia? :) Very logical :)

@jmreire "And what do you suggest Glen? Hand Ukraine back to Putin?"

Well, Zelensky could start with pulling his pals from Kvartal 95 and sending them to the front lines instead. Well, maybe not all (someone has to do comedy as well during New Years I suppose), but one or two would do.

I am sure this would definitely help General Marchenko find the volunteers he is struggling to find to fight against Putin. But sure nobody is going to do that, something tells me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

But sure nobody is going to do that, something tells me :)

Nobody is going to do that, because it's not a serious suggestion. And if it is, it's not a helpful one.

You're in a unique position here on this thread - a Ukrainian in Ireland. If you don't think Zelensky is doing the right thing, seriously, what do you think should be done? I think your actual opinion would be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

glen123, thanks for your reply, I was asked about the new Zelensky government, whilst in Kyiv a couple of months after he was elected, they were making financial reductions in pensions, schools, health care & other important spending to fund the military. I was asked what I thought, I said, trying to be forthright & maybe expecting a negative response, that it was only a matter of time before Putin invaded the rest of Ukraine, so they have no choice but to strengthen the military. Everyone was in agreement.

Looking back I'm surprised Putin actually took so long to order the 2022 invasion.

I do see Zelensky as a flawed hero, same as Churchill who was decisively voted out as soon as WW2 was over. Hopefully Ukraine has the chance in future to make such a decision if that's what the people eventually want. It probably won't happen whilst the conflict continues. Which is likely for a couple more years.

My apologies for the Wallace / Daly comparison, I've been arguing with pro Putin Russian supporters & apologists for a long time in real life & online.

• Advertisement

So? Many EU leaders were still courting him at the time, happy to give him hugs and kisses :) Are you going to accuse them too of being pro-Russian?

This was my personal view at the time and most of it still stands actually. He could have taken it all in 2014 as Ukraine's army was a shambles. Unfortunately many in Russia do indeed support both Putin and even this war. Like I think I did say this before - you don't need Russian propaganda to believe into all these ukrainian nazi things - for an average Russian would be enough to check who every Main st in every Ukrainian city is named after to come to the conclusion that yeah, they are all nazi over there which of course isn't true, but then unfortunately heroization of certain questionable individuals plays very well into Putin's hands and makes an ordinary half educated Russian believe what TV shows them.

I personally was not expecting a full scale invasion and nobody I know inside Ukraine did, even people that work in SBU hadn't a clue seeing how unprepared Ukraine still was in Feb 2022. Of course what happened nearly 2 years ago changed many people's opinions on many things incl myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement