Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Judging it with the benefit of 80yrs of hindsight and with the familiarity of modern day weapons, communications and military analysis, and tactics makes no sense.

If you bombed Dublin city and port you'd cripple the transport network of the entire country. It's a central hub in radial network. Similarly if you have divert vast resources from the front lines into defending a 2nd front behind the front live. How does that not have an effect. Its a nonsense argument that it had no impact.

I'm not sure why you'd want to portray the allies as the bad guys in WW2.

Or what it has to do with the current conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭boetstark

If you can prove anything I said incorrect please go ahead.

The ANC have robbed an entire generation their aspiration to grow up and live in a safe prosperous country.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

And that is exactly right but you need to tell such posters that, not me. I think you’ll find your interpretation of his/her comment is extremely generous and, if true, should have been made by him/her in the first place. It wasn’t but I and others made your point in reply, ie, the deliberate murder of innocents isn’t justified or resistance.

A point of agreement. Good.

Post edited by Hey boy on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The post I was replying to said that they wanted Israel to be held to the same standards as the allies in world war 2. When it came to the allies targeting civilians, they had no standards. That was the point.

And the only reason the allies aren't considered the bad guys in WW2 was because the germans and japanese were so much worse. They started wars of aggression and committed genocide.

And at the time the allies knew t was wrong. In WW1 there was a lot made of how Germany was targeting civilians in Belgium. They had called out germany over blitzkrig in Spain. They were horrified by what the german soldiers did in Poland. It was already known that targeting civilians was wrong. in 1949 they amended the geneva convention to include the indiscriminate killing of civilians which would have included the firebombing of german cities and the dropping of nuclear bombs.

So yeah, we shouldn't hold anyone to the standards of the allies during WW2. They committed what would, only 4 years later, be called war crimes. If we held israel to the same standards they would technically be allowed drop two nuclear bombs on Palestine and apparently be free of guilt.

Post edited by Grayson on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Israel have gone way too far and this is nowhere near proportional.

They are an evil regime.

Hamas are scum, we get that and Israels Govt and the IDF are committing genocidal atrocities.

They should be sanctioned to the hilt and outcast from the international communities. Decent Israelis need to leave and live their lives in a decent country.

This period of time is a stain on our history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Considering what Hamas has done in Palestine over the last 20 years, since Israel left them to it, it wouldn't be surprising if Israel take control of Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Most other countries have expelled their Jews and worse. Where would you have them go? Add a few million people to Ireland?

And, to quote Golda Meir: "We have a secret weapon in our conflict with the Arabs: You see, we have no place else to go."

HTH

So it wasn't a "war crime" in WW2.

Germany was still firing V2 rockets into London into 1945. Still massacring prisoners and civilians in 1945 in Europe. Japan was still massacring civilians in vast numbers in 1945. That's the context of everything else. Why would you only refer to one side in a conflict.

Both sides in this conflict are committing "war crimes". Hamas fired rockets into Israel on New Year's from Gaza. Obviously Israel response is disproportionate. Both sides are committing war crimes. Both sides keeping it going. For decades. Both sides are guilty.

The constant reference to WW2 and nuclear bombing is nonsense. Vastly more people are killed with conventional methods and in worse ways. But...but... the US.

• Advertisement

The post I was replying to said that they wanted Israel to be held to the same standards of the allies in WW2. So yes, I referred to the actions of the allies. Why would I refer to the actions of another combatant? The actions of the allies are the standards that they want Israel to hold so we need to look at the actions of the allies.

And yes, dropping a nuclear bomb on a city full of civilians is relevant. If that's ok for the allies to do, then it's right for israel to do. Because that's the standard that the poster set. The actions of the allies, without any exceptions were ok. So firebombing cities, dropping nuclear weapons etc is ok.

My point is that it's not OK. Israel should not drop a nuke on gaza. they shouldn't firebomb a city. They shouldn't carpet bomb a city full of civilians. What the allies did was wrong.

You may argue that at the time they had different standards. That it was not technically a war crime until after 49. I'd argue that they still knew it was morally wrong but did it anyway. However, even if we accept your argument, we now know that it was wrong. We now consider those things a crime. We now think that dropping a nuke or carpet bombing is immoral and should not be done. So we should not say that israel should be held to the same standards that we hold the allies in WW2.

And you'll notice I only mentioned the actions of the UK and US. I didn't even get into the war crimes committed by the USSR. I'm pretty certain that no-one is advocating the mass starvation of POW's or the mass rape of Palestinian women.

Israel should do better than the allies did. We should hold israel to a higher standard. And this is the point where someone usually points out what hamas did. Yes, what they did was horrific. Hamas should be fought. Hamas should be defeated. That doesn't mean that israel should pursue strategies that involve the killing of civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Cordell

Actually the use of atomic bombs against mostly civilian population in Japan is a perfect example of a justified military action that resulted in massive civilian casualties.

You're now trying to apply 1940s standards to 2024. It's nonsense.

The Hama's conflict is an utterly different situation to WW2. It's ludicrous comparison of chalk and cheese.

Hamas is using human shields and hiding in the general population. Its making a target of the civilians it's hiding in. It's baiting Israel. It won't stop.

It doesn't justify what Israel is doing. But that's what keeping this going.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

While true, if it happened now it would not be viewed as justified in all likelihood. Same as the concentration camps for Japanese people set up by the Americans in the US. History is written by the victors, and it's all too easy to forget that the civilians of Berlin, Frankfurt, etc were bombed by the Allies similarly to how the civilians of London, Paris, even Ireland north and south, were bombed by the Axis. War is not pretty. In the 1940s there were some journalists but they didnt have the tech then that we have now.

In the 21st century, the propaganda war has taken over, where every man woman and child has a smartphone and each side can post many "dead baby" shock photos. It doesn't make it "right" either.

I also think it's highly hypocritical of ethnic Europeans to criticise Israel, as the whole reason Israel received so much jewish migration and return in the 19th and early 20th century and during both world wars, was because of discrimination and worse against jews by western europeans. (It must be remembered that, while the current state of Israel was created by the UN in 1947, a state of Israel has existed at that location for millennia dating back to before the Romans)

That was my point. The poster said that they wanted israel to be held to the same standards as the allies. I pointed out that the standards the allies met were dirt and Israel should be held to a higher standard.

This is a digression, but the allied bombing campaign was far worse than the blitz. The allies killed as many in one night as the Germans did in the whole blitz. So when you say what happened in Germany was similar to what the Germans did, you're mistaken.

And btw, the allies actually hid some of the damage they caused. After the atomic bombs were dropped the restricted journalists who could access the sites. It was actually an Irishman who recorded footage of the aftermath and to make sure the footage would be available he even made copies.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-41188252.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mikewebber

The fact that there's no conflict resolution is a disaster

It's still dropping bombs on people and politics taking preference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Cordell

It won't make the same sense today, it doesn't really compare. When they used them they were the only ones that had them and they needed to show that to the whole world, especially the russians.

yep. The only way that israel can ever have long term security is by getting peace. Bombing civilians will only generate more militants.

People who are pro Israel will point out that Palestinians walked away from previous negotiations and that's true. But israel also walked away. And throughout the Obama presidency Israel refused to even talk about peace negotiations with the Palestinians.

Bombing might get some short term security. But it's postponing the next act of violence. They also need to say that they're willing to negotiate with more moderate Palestinians and make some moves in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Hamas is using human shields and hiding in the general population. Its making a target of the civilians it's hiding in. It's baiting Israel. It won't stop."

That is a disgraceful take on the slaughter of civilians. Victim blaming par excellence. You might as well be honest and propose wiping out the remaining Palestinian population and/or driving them out altogether. Oh wait, but they can't leave.

• Advertisement

Hmm, where to start.

When Gazans have to leave its ethnic cleansing but Israelis should leave …

A lot of name calling etc doesn’t make it true.

So what strategy would work then?

Essy to comment as you have as a neutral in WW2. If it wasn’t for the allies Ireland would have been under the Nazi heel. Comes across as slightly ungrateful really.

Ireland was "neutral" in ww2. In reality, we had a similar position as we had in ww1. Leaving the lights on in Dublin to direct the Germans to Belfast. Working with the Germans so that the bombs up north hit loyalist but not republican areas. Sending condolences (official state condolences I may add) on the death of Hitler. We serve neither King nor Kaiser, but in reality any defeat of the British would have been met with positive response in ireland.

The standard should be stop killing people. Why you make it only apply to one side I've no idea.

Of course, ceasefire and permanent peace would be what we all want. I'm 100% behind Israel on this conflict but my preferred outcome would of course be "peace in our time".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If there was some greater good in allowing the war to fester for another year let's hear it. Or have the Stalin steamroller through Asia and Europe let's hear that also.

Actually let's not. Far too much ill-informed analogies about WW2

Post edited by Flinty997 on

At least in this I agree with you.

"...violence begets violence..." Etc..

• Advertisement

As a proud Irishman I have never been more insulted! I can't think of two less related groups to me than those two. I had family members in the Ira in the 70's ffs.

Advertisement