Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The comments on the journal have always been a cesspit. They're even worse than youtube comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It's all about the narrative and controlling that narrative. All sides want to control the narrative and this is why as others have said it is good to get a wide a range of reading from all sides and then make up your own mind. If you only stick to certain publications then you may not be getting the full narrative as well see all too often in certain media in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

Its one long exercise at deflection and not even slightly opaque

The facts about the building in Ringsend indicate that the local residents had valid grounds for suspecting that the building was being renovated in order to accommodate people claiming asylum.  

So in the eyes of Gript, absence of information means any conclusion is justified, and when you think about it, thats what 95% of their articles are - take a smidge of truth, a load of assumptions, sprinkle with bias and misrepresentation, hold the facts that dont match and voila - here is one freshly baked agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bsloepro

Scepticism is good - of all media - that’s why you need to read a wide range and make your own mind up.

Imagjne someone advocating to keep an open mind - shocking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There needs to be more media literacy.

The weather is a good example, temptuers are going to drop in the next few days in the era of always-on news temptuers plummet.

Temptuers to rise in the next few days become tempters to sore.

The news has become a sort of love-level hum of anxiety in the background.

I use to be a real news junkie now I'm very selective about the news I consume.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

In the wake of the Parnell street standings there was an article in gript along the lines of “parents had voiced their concerns weeks earlier about the proximity of the male hostel to the school”. The only place “I” could find that reported was on gript.

Genuine questions here:

Are these concerns something you've experienced/expressed yourself, or witnessed from people you know? Or do you have some other evidence that makes you believe these concerns exist?

I mean, are you highlighting that Gript are the only one reporting on a phenomenon you know to be true?

Or is is the case that you only heard about these concerns from Gript in the first place?

Post edited by osarusan on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why not? Gripts raison detre is to cause polarisation

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Why is anyone reading it in the first place, that question has to be answered.

Why is there a failure of the middle ground/ official Ireland to get their message across?

Recently there was a thread about homeless services and a particular homeless service, it descended to a hysterical frenzy of how dare anyone question homeless services, how dare anyone question the social policies around homeless services, eventually people get tired of being told don't question us in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The problem is that Gript and regular news media are not the two ends of the scale. Trying to balance respectable journalism with the bigotry of the extreme right will not get you to some kind of centre ground of truth. It's one of the tactics of the right - ignore the real extreme left, present the centre as the extreme left and therefore skew the whole narrative to the right. And it's working.

Still not addressing why the middle ground is losing out? and why people are seeking out that sort of narrative in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Are they? Does Grift make money or is it being propped up with dark money?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Perhaps I am not making my point well.

It could be funded by anyone, the more important question is why would an individual be predisposed to seek out the narrative it is putting forward, instead of any other narrative? The vast majority of individuals are not going around like lost sheep waiting for some news source to tell them what to think not everyone's brains have fallen out, ( or so I would like to think )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You haven't answered my question though. We're told that "MSM" is failing and that trash like Grift.ie is the answer. If this is the case, it should be easy for you to back this up.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

John McGuirk has only even been a horseshit peddler, that is his entire career. He was found out in college, and again during the abortion referendum when he used a fake nurse to try push off these horrific stories that they saw...all complete and utter lies.

He is a jester, he doesn't get it wrong time to time, he always gets it wrong.

I don't know the answer, but I did read a really interesting piece by a left-leaning academic saying the widespread adoption of postmodernism-based social policies in Western democratic societies has failed the left, benefited the right, and led us back to tribalism.

Seems plausible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I haven't come across this particular site before but looking at it's reviews of various irish and international media organisations it seems to be relatively on the money. Some examples:

UK Media

Irish Media

Here's the overview of Gript (seems more than fair)

Full Report:

If you look at the tricks played by Cambridge Analytica on Facebook users to deliver Trump's victory, you'll see exactly how powerful social media is at influencing people. It starts out at clickbait and then pulls them down the rabbit hole of more and more content to confirm their biases. Grift use similar analytics techniques.

If you're referring to our engagement on the PMV thread, that's a fairly substantial misrepresentation of the discussion that occurred - a classic Grift technique, funnily enough.

There was no hysterical frenzy, and no 'how dare anyone'.

There was a fairly simple suggestion that while everyone can have an opinion on complex policy matters like homelessness, all such opinions aren't of equal value. We can all have opinions on cardiac surgery techniques and cyber protection security techniques and bridge structural design techniques, but in general, we recognise the importance of expert training and experience in these areas.

There is a tendency from posters here, accentuated by Grift and other right wing media of downplaying the training and experience of experts in these areas - which doesn't stand up to any rational analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gript deserve no trust because they are not a media outlet, they are an outlet for far-right propaganda.

So there was an article in Gript saying parents said X. Easy for them to claim that after the fact, but is it even true? You will always find Captain Hindsights after an event. Gript either quoted or invented these people in order to push their xenophobic agenda.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bsloepro

I have no idea what is actually the case. Personally I am sure there is some element of truth in it but who knows how much........im just commenting on the variety of news that is fed to us daily. I am highly sceptical of it all. I read as varied a number of sources as I can...and for the record my ex-wife is a foreign national who overstayed her tourist visa almost 23 years ago. I have two Muslim children and they have lived in emergency accommodation for the past 6 years and I'm damn glad they have that and the other supports they have too.They live in an apartment just outside Dublin CC and stayed at home for a few days after the recent riots on the advice of friends who were getting WhatsApps about vigilante groups. I have skin in the game and getting as much as a feel as possible for what's going on out there is in all our interests. That's what I keep scanning these threads regularly......in between the crap there is the odd nugget of information

I'm just saying broaden the range of media you take in to try and get a good rounded picture of what's going on? Can't see how anyone can have an issue with saying keep an open mind. If you do it says more about you than my post.......

And that's me over and out - I've seen the 5hit show these threads get turned into by the same posters....

Post edited by bsloepro on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well I remember a few years ago that Parnell Street protesting residents stopped Peter Stringfellow from opening a strip club in the area.

There is a primary school in Dominick Street, and local residents are very concerned about the area not being seen as a dumping ground for all sorts of things.

Dublin City Council publishes Area Committee Reports online which discuss Residents issues brought to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

MSM do the exact same thing, yet you'd take it as fact because it suits you. Lets me honest, this isn't about how something it's approach, it's about who approaches it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

The complexity of social policy reform is at least partly connected to its subjectivity.

No one believes Peter McVerry is as objective as a bridge structural engineer or a computer technician. It is hard for me to think of a more objective job than bridge structural engineer - even within the sciences. Either a bridge stays up or it falls down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

No. It is far simpler than that. The Journal is Left of centre because it is Left of centre. That's the market which it is targeting (just as Gript targets its own market) and there is another part that you missed. The Journal's journalists are younger than those in the mainstream media. It seems that it is some kind of half-way house between newbie journalism and getting to write for a mainstream publication with a few Journal journalists making it to the mainstream.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The same reason why someone goes out and reads something like 'Behold a Pale Horse' or buys into other nonsense like fake moon landings or stolen elections, etc. They believe that they are ahead of the curve in some way and are getting to the "real" truth that the mAiNsTrEam MeDiA don't or won't cover, either because they're afraid to touch it or are in on some sort of grand conspiracy to suppress something. These people are interested in a particular angle and will seek out the foghorns that will tell them that angle, whether there's any truth to it or not.

In short, they want their beliefs about certain things comforted and facts can be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It wasn't clickbait. It was far more sophisticated. Read Chris Wylie's book "Mindf*ck" if you want a somewhat colourful explanation. It was partially the application of Social Network theory in that it identified "influencers". CA also used other techniques to identify the psychological triggers (with a bit of Maslow's hierarchy) that would get these people to propagate a message.

Gript used AggregateIQ for some market research work a few years ago and a test version of Gript was visible for a while. Any journalist or PR person would immediately recognise the triggers being used. The funny thing is that the same techniques work equally well on people who think of themselves as being too smart to be manipulated. People like being outraged because it makes them feel like part of a crowd. Think of it as the Two Minutes Hate from George Orwell's "1984" being extended to every waking moment.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

Look at the main page of both sites and come back and tell us the difference

One actually reports news and the other reports and agenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This is beyond dishonest framing. The Journals opinion pieces are literally nothing but agenda pushing. This is the problem with posters like yourself, you can't admit that both play the same game of knowingly shaping minds in a way that suits them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement