Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

More weather clickbait ffs like I'm gonna report that article

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

Two words

January 2007

Can someone better at it than me link the model thread of the first week or two of that month in that year

Kermit may have had a dedicated one in his dark man days 😆

But it ain't pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Brilliant charts. Wer definitely going to see a pattern change and some frost. What else who knows? Even 1 snowy day would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I've been looking at this one myself and wow I was only 9 at the time ,gonzo was on that so he must be on this since boards started

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Gonzo you haven't changed a bit 😅 ever the optimist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

Yeah basically beautiful charts,always no closer than 7 days,brought everyone down the garden path to nothing materialising

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That's what living in Ireland does to you when snow storms in the winter and heat waves during the summer is all you want! Just read a few pages I didn't even know how to read or understand weather models back then, they were just a pile of squiggly multicolored lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nice. Let's hope its not a repeat of January 2007 then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The promised land is always 10-11 days away. At least it has continued to show up in output.

Reminds of ....you now what

www.x.com/wolfeeire

In fairness though it mirrors what the UKMO long range has been saying; A cold UK High at first, before possibly something more interesting in the days afterwards. What I noticed too is their wording was more bullish about this happening than they normally would be. Also the ensembles across the suites seem to be rock solid behind this evolution, which should give us a bit more confidence that it might just happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭pad199207

Regardless of how cold it’s going to get, this dry spell will be a god send.

Clare (410ft asl)

Met Eireann 4 week update favours high pressure to be in our vicinity for the entire period. UKMO has been calling for a colder than average January since the week leading up to Christmas. There is little to suggest, other than our collective Boards.ie PTSD of previous winters, that these long range forecasts are incorrect.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Im am very optimistic about this long long awaited cold spell (how long and entrenched it is im not sure) but until i see the white flakes i wont rest easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Winkers

The excitement reminds me of being a child before Christmas. Let's hope it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dare I say it, not loving the evolution on the fax charts,cold getting pushed back, usually when that happens... Still looking calm and frosty, if the clouds stay away, but the 528 dam is no longer over the country. Fingers crossed it swings back in future runs.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Calm and dry is the big thing here. Just hoping that this is a clear high pressure, and not a cloudy, foggy affair that tends to blight the south in Februarys. There is nothing worse than damp, cold, cloudy, foggy conditions with a cutting easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I read a clickbait article on Ireland being 'plunged' into the freezer... decided best to check the FI thread.

Always good to see a moderated view from people not looking for traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Different evolutions being shown on the gfs 00z, 06z and ecm 00z where there is more mixing of lows from either the north or west that are not conducive to long lasting cold!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not liking the models this morning, the trend is once we get the upcoming high pressure out of the way then the mild has a fairly high chance of striking back, maybe a hint of things becoming colder again during the 3th or 4th week of January and after that we are into the final weeks of Winter.

The models are also picking up on another warming around the 3th week of January but at the moment it looks like it will be a minor warming and the PV actually strengthens again after this week. I think we can call this SSW a major flop and we were 100% relying on one to happen for the best chances of a prolonged proper cold spell.

Clare (410ft asl)

On the front of it there appears to be a wobble alright but the ensembles are pretty much still the same as last evening in terms of keeping the Atlantic at bay.

The only exception from last night is the output isn't as resolute about that northeasterly plunge around the 13th and favours the high being a little more persistent. The other change is the inclusion of colder 850s (some very cold) toward the end of the run.

Any increase in 850hpa temps midweek next week will not be reflected as much on the ground due to inversion. That GFS mild run was a rogue outlier. 2M temps here suggest well below temps through to the 19th. Little precipitation.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

According to some strat followers, given the already weakened state of the trop vortex due to the Canadian warming we don't need a major ssw for a cold spell. I am not sure about that.

In any case I have just read the Met Eireann long range WolfeEire referenced.

It's very underwhelming, if it's snowy cold you are after.

if it's correct we will stay mainly dry for the next few weeks but there is little indication of the high moving to Greenland- in fact it suggests above average temperatures later in January .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Historically you would have to favour UK'S Met office over Met Eireann musings. Back in 2010 the UK met were all over that cold spell!!

That's right the UKMO were very bullish about it back then from a few weeks out. I certainly hope their right again. At the very least I hope we get some ice days out of all this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

At the end of the day no one really knows what will eventually happen with the HP yet. I just want to get it in, get some dry cold frosty weather and then see where we go from there......

We have seen it often enough in the past where we have a HP and it eventually sinks but hopefully it won't.

Clare (410ft asl)

the only fly in the ointment for me has been the very slow movement of the weekend high further east. You'd almost be roaring like the Bull McCabe screaming 'go back' at the models.

Edit: The roaring worked. ICON has the high a little further north with a better angle for drawing in colder air as heights link up with Greenland. 12Z top v 00z bottom.

Even the slightest shift can have a drastically different outcome for us in terms of cold.Latest is top with 00z bottom

The GFS has followed suit with the high further west

UKMO

Post edited by WolfeEire on

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFS/UKMO 12z looking fairly cold so far in to next week. A cold continental feed over the country. Some wintry showers on east and south facing coasts. A noticeable change in the feel of our weather from this weekend. How it evolves from there (probably some form of retrogression of high pressure toward Greenland perhaps opening the cold floodgates later) and whether this is the start of a long colder stretch for January up for grabs.

It would be fantastic if this comes to pass. Maybe for once we'd get the deep cold instead of Greece. Let the lobe of Vortex come down on top of us . Cue another sensationalist headline....:)

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Advertisement

If the ECM op this evening were to show something similar, Gerry Murphy will definitely be spotted at Dublin Airport:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement