Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working as a court registrar

• 30-12-2023 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi

Has anyone here worked as a court registrar I just have a few questions that aren't in the job spec or additional information provided

Does flexi apply in this department

Is there much training provided

I will be moving from HSE to Civil Service is there anything I should be looking out for

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

Flexi does apply. You may be sitting in court late in the evenings depending on which court you are registrar for.

Training isn't great in my experience but it is improving. There has been a lot of movement of staff from the courts service in the last couple of years so there wouldn't be as many experienced staff as pre Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Caoimhe2

Thanks for the information much appreciated I was thinking late evenings may be required does that get paid as overtime or time off in lieu

Are you in a similar role if so do you like working there

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

Normally time off in lieu. It's kind of your own responsibility to balance your clock so I come in late on days I know.

Yeah I'm a registrar in Circuit Crime which is interesting and I like the work. Elements of it are frustrating like any job but mostly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jmd1234

Hi I hope you don’t mind me asking

I’ve just been allocated into the courts service as an executive officer, would I also be expected to work late? Would I working directly in court or in the office?

thank you

Hi I hope you don’t mind me asking 

I’ve just been allocated into the courts service as an executive officer, would I also be expected to work late? Would I working directly in court or in the office? 

did you get hired through the civil service EO campaign or through the courts service ? I am through the EO campaign

thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Caoimhe2

Thanks for the reply yes that sounds very interesting ok so when you say you go in late as you are probably aware that day you would probably be working late does core hours apply for this position sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭336699

An EO in the Courts Service is a Registrar/Court Clerk. Taken from the careers section of the Courts website - 

• Registrar/Court Clerk - The Registrar/Court Clerk sits in front of the judge and records orders made by the judge. He/she is responsible for administrative matters and is in charge of court documents and exhibits. They also record the names of witnesses, swears in the jury and records the decision of the case.

This is taken from the Information Booklet for the recent Open competition for appointment to the position of Court Registrar Executive Officer Grade - 

2.THE ROLE

The Courts Service is currently seeking people to join their team as Court Registrars within the Family, Criminal, and Civil court offices. Being a Court Registrar offers a unique insight into the running of the Irish courts system. This role presents dynamic and fulfilling challenge where each day brings new experiences.

The role of Court Registrar is key to the efficient running of the court and requires good organisation skills. As the official record keeper for the Court, this includes providing support pre-court, in-court and post-court to the Judge and the parties.

The Registrar is the key link between the Court Office and the Court. The Court Registrar is responsible for communication between all parties, feeding back on issues and working with their office team to ensure the administration of Justice. 

Teamwork is a key feature of this role. In this role, you will gain invaluable exposure to court practice and procedure, legislation, litigation, and decision making.

In some offices Court Registrars will manage staff. This will include assigning tasks, probation, performance management and training and development. 

The experience gained as a Court Registrar is transferable and beneficial to afulfilling and rewarding career within the Courts Service.

There is no hybrid or remote working. On occasion you may be expected to travel to other court offices within reason.

3.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES  

• Attend court as Registrar and is responsible for all associated court work. Such work includes drawing and perfecting enforceable Court Orders & warrants,making accurate written notes of daily court proceedings in a timely and efficient manner and with a high degree of accuracy. 

• Networking and liaising with Court stakeholders including, the Judiciary, An Garda Siochana, the Prison Service, members of the legal profession and members of the public in the provision of an efficient user-friendly service.

• Provide support to the judiciary in the daily management of a wide variety of lists and hearings.

• Maintain the record of Court outcomes. This information is essential for the effective management of court records, to advise court users and to support provision of management information and statistics, which all supports the administration of justice.

• Operate all courtroom technology including Videolink, Video Conferencing and Digital Audio Recording (DAR) within the court room when required.

• Administer the oath to witnesses, interpreters and juries.

• Develop an in-depth knowledge of the Courts Service Modernisation Programme and contribute to its growth. This will include:

I. attending workshops, 

II. being a member of project groups, 

III. carry out stakeholder engagement, service design, testing.  

I don’t work in the Courts Service but my understanding is that you are expected to work late while the court is in session and may have to work afterwards too. 

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sully123

There are about 1000+ employees in all grades in the Cs. Most of these positions are not court going roles. However, if you are located outside of Dublin it may be more likely that an eo position would be a court going role.

Thanks for getting back to me,, it’s outside Dublin in a district court.

im kind of hoping it’s not a court going role this is my first time working in CS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

If it’s outside Dublin in a district court it’s 100% a court going role, courts outside Dublin sit less frequently, so you may be in court 2 days per week depending on the office

Dm if need and specific info

• Advertisement
Advertisement