Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Why would you need 350km winter motorway range if your trip is only half that? Very few EVs can do 350km at 120km/h in bad cold weather. Many first time EV owners overestimate the size of the battery they need. Then they overpay for their EV that has more range than they need and to add insult to injury, they needlessly carry around a few hundred kg more than required, so have higher fuel use for the entirety of their ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The vast majority of my driving in that car is motorway. Local trips are done in my leaf or herself's Ora. I'd generally estimate 175 in winter and 155 or less in summer. I've never seen higher than 180 - even in the worst possible conditions.

Watch Bjorn Nyland's reviews of EVs, he does a 90 & 120 kmh range test and shows exactly what efficiency and range you will get in each, and works out winter and summer range. Himself and Out of Spec are the two best channels for EVs for range and efficiency calculations as they are consistent tests in the same manner on the same roads and they are transparent. Bjorn even has the historical data for all EVs tested available on public google sheeeeets

Presumably they want to come home too... One imagines the 175km, rather than being a round trip, is each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

People might be surprised to see their average speed on a long trip as well, its rare enough to do a full trip at motorway speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

He also said 350km. You know, people do make mistakes sometimes, but there's no need to be a gowl about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Probably was a typo, but interesting that a blow-in to the forum is challenging it.

Destination charging at all @sk8board? You might be within range of a supercharger on this trip?

Yes my regular 250km motorway jaunt from wexford to dublin and back, with only a few km each end off the motorway generally has average speed around 100-110 even though I do 105 on the M50 and 125-129 on the M11.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it the agricultural VAT rate you're using then? I thought it was standard VAT 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Ideal for people who can't manage a Dublin / Cork trip without having to stop each and every time anyway for coffee / lunch / toilet I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

How was the experience going from the Gti and M3 to a EV. I’ve had a couple of M2’s recently and have just bought a 330e touring to do me for a few months but am very tempted by a Model 3 LR or Performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

So how far can you get in those conditions in the winter and warmer weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭sk8board

Exactly this yep - no opportunity to destination charge (zero interest in leeching of an OAPs electricity, nor stop for a charge somewhere)

350km round trip, 175km each way.

90% motorway, 5% national, 5% deep rural Ireland - and back.

ive done the trip every month for 25years, 1hr45min each way non-stop, so thats the EV for me.

350km of winter motorway driving is hardly a hard ask for a family car, it’s literally just 3.5hrs at 100kmph from 100-0

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Different, at the start. But in moment the longest EV owners in here. We got 2 Fluences and a Kangoo in 2012. Followed by multiple Leafs.

I enjoyed getting into the tech of the cars. Heated seats, wheels, led lights, all mega options or not available on bmw at the time.

It lacked the performance of course. But I was using the M3 less and less. But Ive had S3, V8’s and many other variants before swapping to EV

As soon as I had a Tesla Performance, I forgot about the petrol cars tbh. I still love them. Current M2 is my favorite bmw design at the moment but I wouldn’t go back. I’m done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sounds like you're visiting the home place? Your EV life would be easier for you if you granny charged at your destination on those times you need it, which sounds like it would only be a few times in winter. There've been a few times when I've started the trip home with a low SoC and I topped up by a few % just to remove any 'range anxiety' for the return trip. There's a reason it's called a 'granny charger' 🙂

I guess the moral of the story here is that EV's are suitable for a certain cohort of people. When we reach saturation point on that remains to be seen.

It's when we get to people with no home charging option that the real challenge presents itself.

My guess is that technology will solve that issue before it becomes a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Might make more sense just to pay the OAP the cost of the electricity?

Your clairvoyance skills are obviously better than mine 🙄

I take posts on internet forums at face value. He said 350km range and 175km round trip were needed.

@sk8board - as I said, to do 350km at 120km/h GPS speed on a bad day in winter, you would need a seriously long distance EV. I guess the likes of a Tesla Model 3 LR (the later made in China model) might do it, but don't take my word for it. Maybe an owner can come in here to report. Personally I would rather compromise on behaviour on the worst days of the year as in drive a bit slower or charge somewhere, than overpay for an EV with a range you rarely need. Or just stay with diesel for now.

Enough that I never have to think about it. Comfortably more than my regular 250km round trip with 15-25% remaining.

• Advertisement

That was never a technological problem. Just a matter for an adequate fast public charging network. That Ireland doesn't have, admittedly.

In the likes of the Netherlands, EV penetration is much higher than in Ireland and a high percentage of owners do not have home charging. It's not a problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You don't even have to pay the OAP. Just log into the electric account and pay it directly

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That was my first thought, if I was regularly visiting a family member in that manner I'd pay for a decent outdoor socket and slip them money each time I used it. Seems cheaper than paying to get the very long-range models that are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

Cost to charge at public chargers is a big deterrent

They do however have reasonably priced publicly widely available AC charging. We have none of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Still cheaper than petrol or diesel unless your fossiler is uber-efficient.

Break-even for me was (is) E1.00 per kwh. Figure would be lower if you were used to a more parsimonious vehicle for sure.

But again, for whom is it solely about cost?

We don't know where the tech. will be in 5 or 10 years though.

Faster charging, bigger ranges for less cost etc.

This enabling those who use public charging to use it like a petrol station.

Maybe improved tech. that gives really cheap public charging prices outside peak times.

You have alluded to it already, you could almost pay people to top up when there's an abundance of energy.

Not over there. There are public AC chargers everywhere and they cost only a few cent more per kWh than night rate at home. Also Tesla Superchargers are only a few cent per kWh more again, so extremely affordable and far cheaper than fossil fuel (and now open to non-Tesla owners too as the first pilot in the world)

All of that has already happened in other countries, Ireland is a few years behind. I can't wait to opt in to flexible electricity prices myself. I can make the maximum possible contribution personally to the transition to renewable energy. And as an added bonus, it would make me thousands of eur per year playing that game (with free electricity for my house, free hot water heating and free EV driving on top). I'm ready for that today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭djan

Thanks for the the detailed response but you've just proven my point. The M3 has measured roughly 305km range in -10degrees at 110km/h so if you bring that to 5ish degrees and headwind (common enough during winter in Ireland) you will be cutting it quite close. The issue is that compared to ICE/PHEV, an EV is extremely risky to drive around with a depleted battery as especially when rural, charging points can be tens of km away if one is not working or busy.

Obviously we are on a forum where people will be much more informed that your average motorist but wanted to point out the issue for a relatively straight forward journey. I've spoken to many an EV owner that was quite surprised about the huge reduction in range at motorway speeds as its basically the opposite what they've know to be the case with ICEs which can often half their consumption at higher steady speeds when compared to urban driving.

Advertisement