Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is the upside in CO2 and NOX reduction a factor for (m)any? Isn't that surely the biggest upside from an EV, that we're doing something to f-up the planet and environment a bit less than us and our parents did?

For those who can afford them, what's a little inconvenience around planning long trips compared to a less habitable planet for our kids' generation?

*This obviously doesn't refer to or include climate change deniers and China/US/some-othercountry/Green-Party-bad/Ditch-the-car-completely/Greta-is-a-witch whataboutists who can ignore this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Indeed. Depreciation is a car thing not an EV thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Petrol, diesel, electric. They are just fuel choices. It’s not a religion so there’s no wrong choice. Personal choice only.

But I’m pointing out a way that an WV could be used without any inconvenience or any need to stop on a Dublin to cork return trip.

Well there’s no point playing coulda, woulda, shoulda games in fairness. My diesel was better than my EV until the turbo blew and took half the engine with it. My bmw was better than my EV until the chain snapped and took half the engine with it. Loads of could until I couldn’t games.

If you’re doing the trip “you” stated in an EV, there’s loads of options to charge without stopping in route. If you don’t want to do that in an EV then ice is for you. There’s no point arguing that in an EV forum. Nobody is forcing you to do the trip in an EV but it’s perfectly easy to do.

PHEV, I will never buy another one. Not worth it. I have one, a 530e. But when it’s gone, it’s gone. Out of every car weve owned, it’s been the most troublesome. Classic bmw premium brand I tell ya 😂

Renter doesn’t have to ask the landlord to do it for them. Just get their permission to get one installed.

The tenant I assume will be paying the €400-€600 anyway so it’s a win win for the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Problem there is if/when the tennant moves on they will be leaving the charger behind. Also most tennants don't generally want to bother their landlords unless there's a major problem or they will be perceived as being needy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

@josip - the word zealotry was used earlier in reference to citizens who may wish to do their bit to reduce harmful emissions from driving.

Those who dip in and out of here now and again to take delight in depreciation woes, challenges with charging infrastructure, or poor range - you've got to ask yourself, are they worth wasting oxygen over right now?

All progress forwards has momentum challenges and those whose main self-perspective is inwards are most often the last to get involved, but please let's not actually suggest that moving as quickly as we can towards a cleaner transport system is not the right thing to do, or call that zealotry.

That’s the caveat alright and it’s why it’s a win win for the landlord. As the grant is MPRN based it has to stay with the house IMO as part of the agreement.

As a LL I’d have no issue with tenants asking me to proceed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Driving electric a long time but I think an old banger is the most environmentally friendly choice. Motor tax should probably encourage it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes id agree, in all ways except local air quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

I think its reasonable to acknowledge that some people currently have a difficulty running EVs. You cant wish all problems away. Im sure better solutions will be implemented in future but are not there for some today when people are trying to decide to move to an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭maidhc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Of course there's loads of options but they all have one thing in common - inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Obviously if you regularly spend the entire day driving 700km mostly on remote country roads and you wouldn't pass a single fast charge point during that day, then an EV is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Just wondering will there be more Chinese cars flooding the European Market in 2024?

Surely that will put downward pressure both new and used electric prices... I think the second half of the year will see this happening.... thoughts anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭maidhc

That is common cause, the question is when does an EV make a compelling case for itself as being a superior transportation solution. There was a cost argument a few years back, and certainly if you are kitted out with a good pv system there is irrefutable grounds still, but just like diesel before it, it seems the normal punter is better off with a plain petrol or it’s modern iteration, the hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭sk8board

the future of EVs is not visiting friends or relatives outside your range limit and asking them to pay for your journey home … that’s for sure.

thats early adopter stuff. It’s like all those lads in workplace car parks with their cars plugged in - how long do you think that’s going to last. It’s already being curtailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

A lot of employers offer free EV charging, haven't seen it mentioned much but that has to be a big factor, has saved me 2k+ a year in electricity cost.

Any MNCs have chargers on site, anyone else have 1dt hand experience with their employers?

PV these days is irrelevant to EV driving cost calculations.

It was great during deemed export but that's gone now.

It's pays out ~20c a unit for export.

Night rate for EV can be as low as 5c, say 7c.

You have to park the car anyway. It’s all on street parking. So no inconvenience at all. I think it’s an irrational fear by non EV owners. EV owners wouldn’t fear it.

Of that fears you. Fair enough. Stick to ICE. Nobody has a noose around your neck. But here in the EV forum, charging while you’re parked anyway wouldn’t be an inconvenience. It’s a real benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭allinthehead

If you and your friends/relatives are that tight, can't you just revolute or transfer the cost of the charge, or reciprocate when they visit.

☀️

I think the threshold for an EV not being suitable is a lot lower than that.

Anything that requires public charging on a regular basis would be expensive and inconvenient enough to make it a non runner.

The first question that gets posted on here when a newbie asked about EV’s is :

1. Can you home charge. It’s the most important part of an EV. Nobody in here has denied that.

There's no way I'd own an Ev without home charging but some do. I don't mind a little inconvenience on longer runs but not on a regular basis.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭sk8board

Nothing to do with being tight, quite the opposite - I just can’t imagine going to friends house for dinner or visit an older relative and asking them for some electricity to get back home - “I’ll Revolut you a few euro”. Maybe I’m just old, but it’s a ridiculous notion and more than a bit small minded imho. Embarrassing even?

its just a car - I don’t care about what propels it., but if it’s an inconvenience for my needs, then its an inconvenience full stop.

🤣 I don't think it's age related. The thing is when most of us are in Ev's it will be normal and there's nothing embarrassing at all about it.

☀️

Just to add, if a friend or relative of mine had just driven a long distance to see me, I'd be insisting they plug in to my charger at my expense.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah basic manners like offering tea or coffee or a bite to eat surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Two compelling arguments: money and the environment. Let's assume you don't give a toss about the environment for a second and we'll just focus on the money. Then your 700km trip half done on home electricity at 5c and the other half done on a public charge point at 40c, in an EV doing say 17kWh / 100km (almost all of them easily do that on a country roads trip, most are better) costs you vs a diesel doing 55MPG costing you €60 instead of €30. Do that trip a few times a week and it starts adding up quickly. 100 of those trips would save €3000.

And the savings from trips where you have charged at home is far higher again. 30k km at 5c vs 55MPG costs €300 in an EV and €3000 in a diesel

And there is cheaper maintenance, tax, insurance, lower depreciation, etc.

• Advertisement

Something seems to happening with Ev insurance though, some crazy quotes coming in and a lot of outright refusals, especially with Tesla.

☀️

Advertisement