Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Raw Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

So looks like Rock vs Roman and Punk vs Rollins at Wrestlemania.

Not sure where poor Cody fits in. Only way I see him as champ, is Punk costing Rollins the title in the lead up to Wrestlemania as their match doesn’t need the title. Maybe Cody vs Drew at Wrestlemania then for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Rock vs Roman is going to be a snoozefest. Rock is too big and slow and clerly never going to beat him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The chatter online is Rock vs Roman will take place at Elimination Chamber in Australia, to make sure it has that Big Event feel.

I adore Rocky, but he was gassed up dropping a few slaps and an elbow on Jinder. Any match is going to need a lot of bells and whistles, which means it's not going to be a great Mania main event. Plus Cody winning the title is THE Mania moment. Any other closing shot would be a massive disappointment imo.

Rock isn't going to be the one who ends this massive reign. But he sets up a nice final boss before Mania for Roman, while Cody has to go through the Rumble or the Chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am I alone in not liking The Rock anymore?

The dude is of course a legend and totally embodied the word cool. It's just I dunno, his recent movies being the same garbage (looking at you Black Adam) and when he comes back to wrestling it's the same spiel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rock Roman doesn't even need the belt that's the thing, it's that big a match. But yeah if it closes Mania a lot of people will likely be very disappointed. Elimination Chamber makes more sense to me but I'm not sure if they are going to be able to help themselves here now they've teased it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Rock is only coming back for Mania. So spoiler 4 months in advance, spear, 1-2-3. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ThePott

Felt like a big Raw.

Surprised Jax got the win but think it's a good call, match was fine.

Fair play to the ref as well for stopping the match when Vinci was out. I've seen people say they could have continued it but better safe than sorry. WWE's reactions to concussions and calling matches off lately has been really impressive.

Rhea's headbutt to a crossbody looked absolutely beast. Worried first it was risky but the replay made it look fine.

Main event was decent but at this point, it's hard to find Drew believable cause he always comes up short.

Right so the Rock. Firstly, loved the Jinder troll. Aside from that his promo was whatever, nothing new. His selling looked great but yeah he was gassed. I've heard he may be slimming down for the Smashing Machine movie so maybe if he hits the treadmill he could be in shape for a match. I do think it's a match that needs to happen, at this point it feels like it would be a missing piece to Roman's story. If it happens at Elimination Chamber with Cody still getting the Mania spot that would be ideal. I don't know how realistic that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Rock looking jacked but will need to up his cardio levels. Only saw clips but didn't he mention Roman ?

Maybe triple threat at Mania Punk (Rumble winner) Vs Rollins vs Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Didn't mention Roman by name but ended his segment with how he is going to go out and find a place to eat, where to sit etc etc and then ended it with mentioning how about sitting at the head of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yes then Wade was saying "Paul Heyman, call Roman Reigns" so I think it's pretty safe to assume it'll happen. I thought Rock looked a little smaller this time around (still huge obviously) and yes he was blowing hard after the little bit of physical stuff so he would want to up his cardio workouts. Like the rest of us after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have to say I thought Jinder was giving a great old troupe foreigner promo by the telling the truth to Americans who then think he is an anti American because he tells the truth about America.

And then the Rock interrupts him and gives a ten minutes rambling promo that might be one of the wrost wrestling promos in a generation trying to force in his catchphrases and then blows up after throwing a few punches.

The shine as been of Dwayne for a few years now but attitude era stars will always get a pop in the wrestling bubble and a few like The Rock will get a major one.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

R Truth is just awesome and ageless

I assume Nia is being build up as a powerhouse destroyer and eventually Becky will reign supreme taking her down, will I'm surprised at that win Nia needed it and it continues their feud

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Truth is great. I'd say HHH has enough faith in him to let him improvise a lot of what happened. Especially with how often they were talking over each other. Of course it was obvious there would be a match when Miz was in ring gear rather than his usual suit. And I know Miz is doing the Face thing now, but he's better than using the "I can't hear you over the booing" line.

Surprised they had Becky lose clean like that.

Jey looked really annoyed at the match stoppage. I know he's not meant to like Imperium but he could at least take the win.

I hope to see Ivy and the Creeds all having gold. Though until Rhea drops the title, it may be tag titles for Ivy. Not sure who will get the title off Rhea now. Rumble winner from another brand?

Knew they were trolling with Jinder. But, yeah, The Rock is approaching Homer-becoming-a-celeb-after-bowling-a-perfect-game-and-doing-guest-appearances levels. Just checked and the segment was over 20 minutes long. And I liked Baywatch!

I said it before, but Tegan needs to get away from Natalya.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think we're in danger of being too smarky about this.

The Rock is a massive deal, whether some like it or not. It is, by a distance, the biggest match the company can do. It is box office, has mainstream appeal, and will get all the attention that WWE craves. There is no discussion. From a pure business point of view, it must happen. And from a story perspective, it is the ONLY match that can get Roman even more over. Its the only match Roman has left that he 'needs'.

The only argument is whether it happens at Mania or not. The fact is WWE don't need to do this at Mania. The company is so hot that the match doesn't necessarily improve Mania from a financial perspective. So i don't think it should happen there.

It should be Rock v Reigns at Chamber, then Cody v Reigns at Mania.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ThePott

Was about to say the same thing. Even though it wasn't a great segment.

Getting jaded about a possible match with the Rock seem silly. It would be a major deal and like we've both said it would be strange if Roman doesn't get that match considering how the story has gone.

Now, as to if it actually comes to fruition or not. Who knows? They haven't had him acknowledge (pun intended) Roman or the storyline to this point to my knowledge on tv so this feels big. Triple H is making an announcement on Thursday as part of a preview of WWE in 2024, not sure that it involves this but who knows.

I do think as far as scheduling goes, I think this is the best shot they've had to actually make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Rhodes vs Styles would be my guess.

Personally, I'm not interested in Rock / Reigns unless it's at WM but the Rock return has been diluted by that Smackdown appearance a lil' while back with Theory and Waller mentioning the guy for no particular reason ahead of that.

Idea that won't happen: Joint Rumble winners both pick Reigns so he has to do both nights after irritating Aldis.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Rocks return might of been better if he interrupted a Bloodline promo or something

Not sure what the logic is if they randomly announced Rock vs Roman on Thursday for EC ?

Not sure did the head of the table Roman ever actually mention The Rock

Is Reigns even working the EC in Australia?

Waller is still calling out The Rock too

I've missed the continued Waller-Rock references then. Something for EC in that case.

IIRC the only time Reigns has mentioned Rock was calling LA Knight a redneck cosplay of his cousin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

If it's Rock vs Reigns at EC, and Cody vs Reigns at Mania 40, then to me that would be a fitting build worthy of the Mania milestone.

Rock gives Reigns one last mammoth victory, and Cody dethroning Reigns becomes that bit more special.

Rock needs to use the next 2 months though to get right, there's no doubt about that.

yes, it would've been. And I'd guess that interrupting Roman would ideally be what they'd have done if it was completely up to them - a la Cena interrupting Roman's victory over Edge, then Lesnar interrupting his victory over Cena.

But Rock's schedule is a b*tch at the best of times, so I'd say it was a case of getting something done while there was an opening.

Do we think Rock's return will beat Punk in views on YT

Rock can get a crowd going, eating out his hand, the charisma always there, despite his ring rust

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Pinkman

Surely Rock isn't coming back for a B-level PPV like Elimination Chamber? If he wrestlers on that show I'd say itll more likely be a tag match so he can just get the hot tag. Maybe Rock and LA Knight v Roman and Solo? Rock vs Roman is the biggest match WWE can do so totally understandable they would bump Cody - no reason Cody has to dethrone Roman at Mania, surely it can wait until Summerslam? That way Roman will overtake Hogan's record too.

Rock vs Roman obviously doesn't need to be a title match though so I suppose you could have Roman v Cody headline night 1 and Rock vs Roman night 2? Although presumably Rollins v Punk will headline night 1.

Elimination Chamber won't be treated as a B-Show. It's a massive show abroad in Australia - they'll want something marquee to really get the excitement going for that event, nevermind the fact it's the last PPV before Mania.

I think the likelihood is that they'll do Rock at Mania, but i don't think it's the right way to go creatively. I do understand that the hype around Rock at Mania might be difficult to resist for them though.

I thought it was leaked before that Rhea would main event EC, I was sure dirt sheets had that going around

Rock could take out Solo at WM so Cody has clean one on one victory over Reigns, getting the title and finishing his story

Rock vs. Reigns at SS then

Seth vs. Punk will main event one night of WM I think

I feel a Rhodes rematch win would lead straight into Señor Money in the Bank cashing in the next night.

Good opening segment with Punk and Drew

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Kudos to R Truth for nailing the best comedy segment of 2024 in week two of the year 😂 The Dom and Nick line was incredible.

Advertisement