Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Lots of bad luck. Luke Fitzgerald mentioned on his podcast today about possible overtraining.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Yes but likely gone after hos contract ends this summer id say. Hasnt panned out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

It could just be bad luck. People generally underestimate randomness. I mean, i’d do a review to make sure but yea could be luck.

Injuries also can cascade, that could be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Just a minor note-Clarke is concussed from a training session so possibly returning to play quickly. Agree with the Over-reaction post earlier- not the end of the world Munster will qualify for the next stage of the competition and that’s all that matters right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Will the Ralston hit on JOD be reviewed, it surely can't be left at just 10 minutes in the bin for that? JOD already lost 2 years of his career to a bad injury so this really stinks. I hope this time it turns out to be less serious than it looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Could medical jokers be registered for Champions Cup games. If not, anyone joining would only be helping with training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes it can be just bad luck.

Kleyn - eye injury.

Carbery - broken wrist.

POM - Shoulder injury.

Killer - Shoulder injury.

Barron - Foot injury.

Nankivell - Ankle injury.

Edogbo - Achilles injury.

JOD - Knee injury.

Jager - Head injury.

Haley - recovering from operation on long standing hip injury.

None of these injuries are down to S&C. Sometimes shít just happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes but only if they are on a minimum 3 month contract and if they haven't played for anyone else in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

We could do worse than having Kevin O'Byrne or Rhys Marshall back with us for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I was very surprised that KOB was not kept, the best at basics (LO and Scrum) of all our hookers. Where did he go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Still with them and studying to be a physio which he had been doing with Munster as well

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Rumour and I stress rumour on MFs is that JOD could be out for a year. Huge blow for him, second long term injury for him too

Who? Kevin O'Byrne? Being from the independent republic of Cork doesn't make you NIQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Not at all. Only played irish u18. No other international teams

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Thats hardly much of a rumour considering the severity of the pain he was in. When you see a player sucking on one of those oxygen or painkiller things getting driven off its fair to assume you aint gonna see them for a while.

As for bringing in replacements if i was a fourth choice forward player espically in any of the other provinces i would be begging for a loan to Munster for the rest of the season, its guaranteed game time and exposure that you wont see for 2/3 years otherwise.

This injury crisis is bad for many, but its a golden opportunity and players like Ahern, Hodnett and Zebo are making the most of it.

Why would you do that if you are munster though? Basically its helping out other provinces while getting the dubious honor of a 4th choice player coming in. May as well just play an AIL guy.

Like i was happy to get French because he might pop, he has the physical tools and there might be something there. But i would not have been interested in him on a short term loan deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Munster are already playing people out of position like coombes and JOD, nash played 15 also i think, they are asking some players to increase their workload like hodnett and there couldn't possibly be the necessary numbers to train properly.

Munster need bodies basically and some players in third or fourth place in other clubs could use the exposure and experience

A third or fourth choice hooker in leinster behind Dan Sheehan and kelleher isnt going to see any gametime in blue at 2 for a few years and an opportunity exists in Munster that might grant European cup rugby. Its a no brainer for some players. Take max deegan, he gets very little time in Leinster.

I think Leinster are injured at hooker a bit. McKee and McCarthy are injured to my knowledge. I think that is one spot where you would just take anyone competent at all. I’m not sure who would make sense there.

Deegan would be a yes obviously but he is someone that leinster really would want to keep. You are only really two injuries away from him being pretty vital.

Other than that, they have guys who aren’t playing. Coombes is a better lock (even though its not his best position) than anyone who is feasibly available. There are guys i’ve noticed who are playing AIL who could play. Its just they are trying to win games so nash out of position is better than Hogan. Or, JOD is better than O Sullivan or Okeke, even out of position.

I think at the end of the day you either get more o sullivan types or you get prospects who aren’t actually that good right now. So you put time into someone who then goes back and that resource (time) you put into them is wasted.

The Deegan call actually made me think though, as I wasn’t really thinking about established players.

How about Rhys Ruddock? Can play some lock in a pinch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Deegan's played 7 times this season and 15 last. He gets dropped every time Leinster have a big game and his international career looks dead in the water but if he were to move it'd surely be to be first choice at another club.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Understand the argument about why would we develop players from other teams only to give back but we need to have some players off the bench. Deegan, Soroka would be massive impact off the bench for us. With JOD gone now will mean Kendellan starts, then we are very limited off the bench, you can see it in games, players are dead on their feet last 15 minutes. We need a hooker so Kevin O'Byrne coming back would make loads of sense, even on a short term deal. Ulsters 3rd choice hooker has played 90 minutes rugby this season. You'd hope there is some kind of dealing being done in the shadows or this could be a very long season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Why did Munster sign Jack O'Sullivan (who has been injury free and playing away for UCC for nearly 3 months) to a two year contract if they'd need to bring in a guy who graduated from the Leinster academy a few months ago to cover in place of him? A similar question could be asked about Daniel Okeke, who is in his 3rd year of the academy but who's contributions since coming back from injury nearly a year ago have been limited to benching in A and development games behind sub academy players like Sean Edogbo and Jacob Sheehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The one position we actually had cover for was the back row and JOS has had a terrible time with knee injuries and is trying to get get back to full fitness while Daniel Okeke is still very raw by most accounts.

For every tier 1 pro player, there are loads of high potential academy prospects who don't make it either through injury, or their ceiling is lower than originally expected.

Pro rugby is really really hard to succeed at

Im commenting on the need to bring in someone like Soroka for cover. If JOS isn't fit enough to bench after 3 months of playing AIL and if Okeke is too raw in his 3rd year of the academy to cover the bench in an injury crisis I'd be concerned. Okeke was the stand out player two years ago against Wasps, he did have a 6 month injury but to see him go from that to benching behind sub academy players in A games is an unbelievable step backwards.

• Okeke won't be contracted beyond the end of this year. JOS needs a run of games to get up to fitness. A lot of people see Jack O'Sullivan on the UCC teamsheet and assume it's the Munster player. They're is a second Jack O'Sullivan playing in the AIL for UCC

https://x.com/UCCRFC/status/1733461561291727273?s=20

Squad Update

On the injury front, Oli Jager is following the graduated return to play protocols after being removed against Connacht on New Year’s Day.

Jack O’Donoghue was also removed after sustaining a knee injury and will go for a scan and surgical opinion.

Eoghan Clarke was withdrawn from the squad for Connacht ahead of matchday and is following the graduated return to play protocols.

Fineen Wycherley missed the Connacht game due to his shoulder injury but is in line for a return to training shortly.

Following the Leinster game on St Stephen’s Day, Dave Kilcoyne has undergone surgery on his shoulder today and will be out for at least six months.

Academy lock Edwin Edogbo will undergo surgery on his achilles tendon next week.

Diarmuid Barron (foot) is also due to undergo surgery next Monday. His return will be determined post surgery.

Alex Nankivell is rehabilitating his ankle injury and his availability will be determined next week.

Continuing to rehab: Patrick Campbell (shoulder), Peter O’Mahony (shoulder), Jean Kleyn (eye), Jack Daly (ankle), Liam Coombes (shoulder), Niall Scannell (groin), RG Snyman (chest/shoulder), Joey Carbery (wrist), Roman Salanoa (knee), Mike Haley (hip), Cian Hurley (ankle/achilles)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So it looks like Jager, Clarke, Wycherley and Nankivell could be available for Toulon. Be great if Kleyn, POM and Carbery were too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Kilcoyne done for the year. Big chance for Wycherly or Kieran Ryan.

• Advertisement

I watch a good few games at the end of last year and Munster’s JOS has always featured. According to Munsters own updates he returned to play for UCC on the 3rd of November. It can’t have been too serious an injury because he was available at the end of last season so was out for a max of four or five months.

Advertisement