Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I found Una Mullally's (geriatric voice of the youth generation and long time SF supporter) recent article interesting.

Even Una is getting bored with the relentless negativity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The rates you quote are for development finance, typically in the 6.5 to 8% bracket in the market. They are not comparable to the longer term mortgage rates as the products perform differently and turnaround times are fast. A 1% shift in rate would be less impactful on total repayment as a result.

I don't think SF are planning to offer cheaper finance to building developers however. Stripping margins to zero will reduce demand for finance, that's for sure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I contradicted your ill-informed point that any aul spuds (or apples) would do.

I also made the point that the production and sale of the end products is regulated. If you disagree with these points then disprove me but don't correct me on something I didn't say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

But it's the same for potatoes or realistically any product even commodities. Once you clear regulatory hurdles you still have to deal with customers and suppliers. Certain customers only want a certain type(s)/standard(s) of product. In food processing like potatoes for example you have a group of customers called the multiple ie Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi etc who have massive market power and they have their own standards and demands that are in addition to the regulatory benchmarks. If you don't meet them you don't get to sell and you either go out of business or go for a very niche customer base. You can replicate a variation of this for every business and organisation going. That's before we even talk about staff, suppliers, financing etc.

Building houses is not especially unique in terms of the balancing customers, staff, suppliers, politicians etc. Obviously housing has its own unique quirks but that's no different from any other industry. Just because you or the wider public are not fimiliar with all the boring stuff that makes an organisation tick along does not mean it doesn't exist. Once you start getting down into the details like this thread has done on housing things gets complicated. It's the same for every industry and organisation regardless of size.

The government can build houses but there is a cost to that. It's better for everyone that people are up front with the costs as there is less drama down the line. Pie in the sky figures do no one any good. Massive cost overruns don't make for good headlines regardless of who is in government or the particular government project (ie government built social housing) in question. Look at the children's hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Yes and the construction industry also has it's own idiosyncrasies around suppliers and customers etc.

However the regulatory efforts are far greater.

That's not to say other industries don't have regulation, just that it's not a similar supply obstacle.

Would you say it's as difficult, from a regulatory perspective, to bring medicines to market as it is potatoes?

Of course not, there are degrees of regulation, and what puts construction at the higher end of that, is that each house or development has to go through it's own process.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you think its necessary (which it clearly is) then Im at a loss at to the purpose of your "free market" point?

Why would anyone move into construction if the cost of housing is going to decrease? I dont think thats possible without lowering wages.

Also, surely now is one of the best times to be in construction? Prices are sky high so wages are good and there is little danger of lack of demand (well, depending on what SF get up to)

I think maybe people would rather sit in an office and earn the same/more sipping tea in the canteen then building walls in the cold Irish rain?

On your first point, I think it correct for a government to intervene to help a market function as close to a 'free market' as possible.

My issue is that FFG tell us construction will function like a 'free market' while largely only intervening on the demand side and ignoring supply obstacles.

That's either spin or utter incompetence.

There are opportunities to make a lot of money in construction right now, but I would point out that most tradespeople earn a standard rate that is largely unaffected by the end price of houses.

Similar conditions occurred during the last boom and young people flocked to work in the industry. Office jobs were widely available back then too.

The biggest difference now is that people see what happened when the bust came. I've only anecdotal evidence to support this, but I've yet to be offered a better explanation.

I think the fact that apprentice rates no longer offer young people who leave school, and don't want to go to college, the ability to live independently also plays a part.

Where lower houses prices factor into this is they decrease the likelihood of another huge slow down in a recession, making the industry a more stable and attractive career option.

• Advertisement

They rightly want the private market to be as free as possible, beccause you cant suddenly start artificially controlling prices or you will cause a housing meltdown. Everybody who owns a house would be hugely negatively impacted by any attempt by the state to control private house prices.

What they do need to do, for the good of everybody, is enforce planning and building regulations, so houses are built correctly and according to some sort of plan. The last thing any where needs is one off houses of questionable quality.

Again, the only bit they should control 100% of, is state housing and state housing should be markedly different from private housing. Trying to have state houses copy private houses wont work as you are conflating the two markets and will have private buyers competing for the same units as the state.

State housing needs to be high density and honestly, not a target for people to live in. It should be somewhere that you live because you cant afford to buy somewhere else. You shouldnt be next door to someone who paid 400K when you paid nothing.

Also, the idea that every development must have X percentage of social housing is mental. It makes no sense to have social housing in an apartment complex where the units are 600K each. The developer should be giving X% to the government in cash for the gov to build more social houses somewhere else.

Those same lower prices for private housing will drive a recession due to massive negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

We done the same, yet you mention a house share in Ireland and people turn their nose up.

First off, I don't think it would cause massive negative equity. I can't see those buying at the top end of today's market loosing out to affordable housing on state land.

Even if it does cause some negative equity, how will that greatly impact the domestic economy? People will still be paying the same mortgage they signed up for and have the same disposable income.

Earlier today, you claimed you studied economics...

The definition I learned when studying economics <snip>

...and yet you can post this...

In what fantasy world of economics will reducing the value of housing stock not create a negative equity issue? Even a first year junior cert student can tell you this!

I don't think SF plans equate to an attempt to control prices in the sense of a price cap, or that type of intervention.

In fact, far from causing a housing down turn, I think you'd see more like the divide you seem to desire.

A high end of the market would be there for more exclusive development where developers are free to take as much risk and pursue as much profit as they like.

For the rest of us will be stable, consistent production of affordable housing, produced by the new entrants to the construction market attracted by these stable conditions.

Works for me.

Can you point to when SF have talked about a price cap?

Anythign to suggest Sinn Fein plan to put a housing system in place like you describe?

I said massive negative equity.

I don't think the value of those houses at the higher end of today's market will be threatened by affordable housing on today's land.

And I quite clearly stated that it could cause negative equity, but I don't see this having a significant affect on the domestic economy.

I'd prefer not to be in negative equity myself, but I don't see it effecting my disposable income. My mortgage will remain the same regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It would greatly affect you when renegotiating the terms of your mortgage. Your loan to value is a key criteria in the interest rate a bank will offer to you. If you're in negative equity there's a reasonable chance you'll pay higher interest on your mortgage.

I fixed my mortgage for a nice long term, as I'd hope most who bought in recent years did.

I would still say the impact of this will be relatively small, as it's only lowering prices for a subsection of the housing market.

We can share the load and call it an FFG tax if you like, to compensate those affected?

Maybe use the economic benefits of once more people able to attract academic researchers and other valuable workers?

Tell us how that would work. How would the ripple effect of putting cheap housing on the market be?

What will all those movers do when they have another kid and want to upsize but cant because their own place is worth less than they paid for it?

What would happen interest rates also?

Regarding the movers, if their own place is worth less than they paid for it, I guess the plan is working and they'll be able to find a nice affordable family home too.

That's unlikely to happen for them now with the way prices are rising. As things stand now if you bought a starter home that forever family home is only getting further and further away.

You realise in today's market it's price doesn't stay fixed while the value of your starter home conveniently increases right?

After that I think you'll find it hard to argue against the economic consequences of leaving the housing market as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Do SF plan to put the affordable houses on the market? EOB seems to suggest here that the affordable houses will be for sale to anybody?

The plan is to start with 4,000 affordable houses for sale per year.

How would the 4,000 buyers be picked, given that the seliing price can't respond to demand?

One way that SF would help reduce new house prices is by abolishing HTB and the new shared equity scheme.

I agree with them about that.

If we build 35,000 new houses each year, would offering 4,000 of them for sale at more or less the cost of construction (with no land cost, no developer's margin, and lower finance costs) mean that all other house values fall sharply?

I don't think so.

In a sense, there might be two markets.

The market for an SF affordable house (300k in Dublin, less outside), but with restrictions on what you can do with the house.

The normal market for all other houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

How would the 4,000 buyers be picked, given that the seliing price can't respond to demand?

Dedication to “the cause”? Or by who made the biggest donation to the party (the NI branch of course…)?

SF have spent the past 5-6 years aping Bertie-era FF in an awful lot of their populist promises. Is the next step to start aping CJH-era FF?

Do SF plan to put the affordable houses on the market? EOB seems to suggest here that the affordable houses will be for sale to anybody?

These houses (were SF to get their way) would be available to anyone and at those prices ("at or below 250k") there will be a huge ripple effect felt right across the market. They are also guaranteeing that those houses would remain affordable in perpetuity (with no detail on how this would be achieved (or even the constitutionality of that!)).

It would trigger an economic nightmare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't know the details of their plan, and cannot comment on whether they would work, but I think it was posted on thread that people who bought them would not be able to rent them out and would be restricted as to who (or how much maybe) they could sell them on for.

If there were such conditions, it would remove the attractiveness for any investors/speculators trying to buy them on the cheap to flip them.

Did previous affordable house schemes not have restrictions on renting out and a clawback on any capital gain if the property was sold within X years?

Advertisement