Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, those places that are being used are not purpose built refugee centres and are often placed in areas with zero amenities nearby (a valid criticism often made by the people living nearby). It's hard to see they could be intended to be used permanently by asylum seekers.

Ditto with the Ukrainian people, it would be be quite wrong to expect them to live in their current temporary accommodation for years - even a hotel room would be a horrible place to raise a family. You'd have to assume there are plans to move the vast majority out of temporary accommodation at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭twinytwo

How exactly is that a benefit?

Any issues with visa system has nothing to do with the Ukrainians - under the EU Temporary Protection Directive they do not need to apply for visas?

Government have already confirmed that at least 60% have no intention of going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭twinytwo

In a perfect world this makes sense. Make my words, all these people will still be where they are 12/24 months from now.

The government has no plan, this is painfully clear. Also too much money to made from the current situation. Nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

If they intend to keep refugees, asylum seekers and the Ukrainian people in these locations for years - places that were never intended for this type of accommodation - then yes, that would be a disgrace. Some of the places are probably quite nice and in good locations with lots of facilities nearby but others are clearly unsuitable for longterm use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

I will happily donate 100E to you in 2026 if this government has decided (through their own devices) to stop dumping hundreds of men in rural villages before then. There is no long term plan with this government, because it will become somebody else's problem by 2026.

North of 15,000 per year coming in, government and opposition burdened alike with ideological fantasies, 2 year minimum stay between asylum process and appeals, money being made by hoteliers to house them. You'd have to be truly naïve to think of this as temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It’s permanent, the Ukrainians are here to stay and we’ll have more coming shortly to get in before any changes for new arrivals. Plus O’Gormans 15k per annum. Still hotel rooms available despite the effect on our tourism industry that will be decimated in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

From that Dutch study, one of the comments is spot on:

Milton Friedman warned that high rates of immigration in conjunction with generous welfare would attract rent-seekers, not entrepreneurs.

That's exactly what is panning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As Ukrainians don't require visa's what's to stop them going out and getting work and paying for their own accommodation? Why is the state on the hook for someone coming over here, by their own fruition, and then deciding they suddenly have nowhere to stay? Very hard to have sympathy for people who purposely make themselves homeless.

As for asylum seekers, they should be provided a basic level of food and accommodation until such time as their application is successful or rejected. At which time, they too should have to support themselves and find work/accommodation.

And if any of those groups don't like it then there's nothing keeping them here.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 38 boredyooser

David Mc Williams " describes how immigrants are more likely to be better educated, more motivated and younger than the average irish worker. "

Mc Williams and his ilk, and his folk of similar social strata in the media and politics, love to trot this line out.

Because their positions in society are completely unaffected by uncontrolled, unmanaged immigration, and they only benefit from it.

Is McWilliams in competition for his media gigs or Dalkey book festival gigs by Poles, Moldovans, Hungarians, Bulgarians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Ukranians. No, his professional positions is completely unthreated by these " harder working, more motivated " workers. Like his compatriot in the UK, James O Brien, who won't be losing his radio show on talk station LBC, or his media gigs, or his gigs at the Chiswick Book Festival, to any Poles or Moldovans or Bulgarians any time soon.

Can anyone name an Editor of Business Editor or Economics Editor or Society Editor of The Irish Times or Irish Independent or RTE ( similarly the British Times or Telegraph or Guardian or Independent ) who happens to be a Lithuanian or recent immigrating Pole ?

Perhaps there is an Irish TD or a British MP who has had their seat ( political job ) challenged by a Hungarian or Bulgarian, or has been replaced in their constituency by one ?

Nope. These types love to talk about how much harder working the others are, because for them, they are unthreated in their position in society and their interaction is limited to their cleaner and barista in their favourite coffee joint and waitress in local bistro. They continue their confortable lives unthreatened by the potential of being unseated, replaced or having their wages deflated by the prescence of foreign labour. There are only benefits for them in a better quality of those who serve and service them ?

And why is the foreign worker better motivated ? Because an Irish or British worker on minimum wage knows that they will never be able to get on the property ladder. For the foreign worker, their motivation is that 3 or 4 years in that minimum wage job creates the opportunity for them to bring that money home and get on the property ladder in their home countries, where a house can be a tenth or twentieth of the country that they have come to work in. Their motivation is that there is a means to the end. For the native, there is no escape, no " home country " to return to with the prospect of getting a home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Westernview

I was asked to provide information on the benefits of

I was asked to provide information on the benefits of immigration to Ireland and I did that with the mcwilliams link. You clearly haven't listened to it and will therefore remain ignorant to his analysis based on real data and to be honest I've no interest in engaging with your stream of uninformed negative bile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

Ans how much are you willing to bet that asylum seekers are entitled to dole and HAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

I've listened to plenty of McWillians self important witterings. I find him sickening.

How does what you describe benefit Irish society ? Having an influx of people who are younger, better educated and more motivated, arriving in a country of limited resourses, benefits only the business owners and the masters of capitalism, by increasing the labour pool and depressing wages, whilst increasing competion for limited resources such as housing and driving up prices. It is of no benefit to the indigenous at the bottom of society, or those in the same job market.

You really don't have a clue.

How did an influx of younger, better educated, more motivated people work out for the North American First Nation People, or Australia's Aborigines, or New Zealand's Maoris, or the Indigenous people of the Caribbean Islands ?

You sound like a student living in an all white community, yet to be touch by the realities of uncontrolled mass immigration, whose only knowledge is through some text books written by liberals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it looked like it was going to be some rental scheme but there must be more dosh in this.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There's a desperate lack of nuance in this debate between "Is immigration a good thing for Ireland?" to which most people would reply yes and "Is the policy of a miles out of his depth first time TD who became a Senior Minister 3 months after he was first elected to the Dail, of announcing a new policy on Direct Provision to the world despite no actual resources available to fulfil such a policy, which has become a mad scramble to place new arrivals in completely unsuitable locations, with a massive stink of arrogant incompetence coming from his repeated refusal to actually debate the policy rather than turning it into a discusson on "racism" and the "far right", good for Ireland?"

Most people now laugh when they hear the phrase "far right" used. It has completely lost any meaning and now when it's uttered it just makes people take the person uttering it less seriously. It's almost displaying a lack of any fundamental understanding of the subject at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Westernview

You haven't listened to his podcasts if you're still asking the same questions about how they contributed to ireland. It's literally covered in the specific podcast link. Its like me giving you a book and you coming back asking me what's in it instead of reading it. Won't be replying to any more of your pointless tone deaf comments.

You sound a bit obsessed.

My original post said this:

" The British person remembers that their was one Black kid and one Asian kid in their class in the 1970s. They didn't notice the gradual changes, until they noticed their grandchild is the only white kid in their class at the same school in the 2020s. They rode public transport and noticed it was a " bit " multicultural, until one day they noticed they were the only English speaker on the bus. They were comfortable and encouraging of with what they thought was " a bit of Multi Culturalism ", then one day they realised what they actually had multiple " Mono Culturalism ", where various areas of their local town were not actually " multi cultural " but were a distinct single cultural ghettos, for want of a better word, living parallel lives, with not only imported culture but even violent rivalries and bigotries with other groups who had their own " Mono Cultural " areas in other parts of the same English town. They have realised they " can't afford to have children " but others can have large " single mother families " and will be provided for, and due to the endless influx, they will remain bottom of the priority list. They have seen multi million pound housing developments spring up and realised the local council put them at the bottom of the list, and these flats are for others. "

The point I was clearly making was about the remarkable rate of change

I suppose you would like to catch the nasty far right man out saying something bad about colour of skin.

But discussions about uncontrolled mass immigration have long passed the " waycism " point. There are valid conversations to be had about numbers, and resources and the impact of disjointed societies and whether " multi culturalism " is actually a positive and productive ideology. About social cohesion, and the ability for a welfare state or social democracy to manage when there is an uncontrolled iunplanned for influx.

Many of those shouting the loudest on social media are racist and far right though. If you're calling for restrictions on immigration to Ireland, you're calling for the exact same things the far right are looking for, no matter how you wish to self identify.

I'm not sure I've seen many examples of anti-immigration supporters saying 'I disagree with the far right on this'.

• Advertisement

They didn't notice a gradual changes over 50 years? Were they blind? There is also no such thing as uncontrolled mass immigration, it's all controlled.

I've no interest in catching you out. What you said is clear and obvious. We need to be careful about mass immigration because we don't want to end up in a situation where whites are the minority in class rooms etc etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes, but Ireland's population and the thoughts and voting wishes of the Irish people are not reflected accurately by social media.

If you went on Twitter for an hour you'd imagine that Ireland was a country of two factional tribes, one of whom is a so called woke tribe, advocating for come one come all, and the other was a vicious fascist tribe advocating for mass deportations, burning of DP centres and racially motivated attacks.

The answer is always in the middle, and the views above are representative of a small minority of Irish people. Social media is distortive in nature and doesn't reflect the views of the majority of the public. There has been no worse invention for western style liberal democracy than social media.

So, there are only benefits. No negatives ?

You can't engage with my point that the likes of McWilliams, media commentators, broadsheet journalist and politicians can hold these opinions because their employment and place in society is completely unthreatened by uncontrolled mass immigration. They face no competition for their jobs, no impact to their industries. They enjoy only the benefits in the form of their cleaner, barista and gardener. You can't name one senior media figure or political figure who has their employment threatened by these " younger, better educated, more motivated " types, because it does not happen. It's the working class who have a more complex relationship with the a glut of younger, better educated, more motivated folk unexpectedly entering their world.

I'm sorry, you really don't have a clue. Clearly if you are relying on David McWilliams to inform you about the impact of , rather than giving example from your own lived experience, you clearly you have none of. Come back after you have left education and lived a little.

There is uncontrolled immigration, when people bypass the processes in place, and cheat and exploit the system. For example claiming to be fleeing persecution when they are not, posing as the citizen of one country when they are in fact from another, bypassing legal entry by literally breaking into another country by crossing a border without permission

I wonder, is a benefit to the Palestinians that they have become a minority in their " own " landmass ?

Again, that's not uncontrolled immigration. There is a process in place that cannot be bypassed. There is a process in place to deal with everyone issue you've outlined.

So you now do accept that you have an issue with classrooms having too many non-white people in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He could be referring to the large number of Indians that reside here now and are required by the Tech industry. They tend to be very motivated by money and advancement.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Who said anything about classrooms having " too many non white people in them " ? You, not me.

We don't have to use Britain over the last 70 years as an example.

We use any country that has been subject to rapid immigration and change in terms of human timescale. Instead of Britain, we could take Palestine. I wonder if the Palestinians are happy with the scale and rate of Jewish Immigration ? I wonder if the Palestinians are feel the benefit and enrichment of a rapid and huge influx of younger, better educated, more motivated immigrants has been a benefit like David McWilliams would suggest ? I wonder if Palestinians feel that such large scale immigration has enriched them with " multi culturalism " or whether they feel it has led to " Mono Culturalism " whereby the immigrant group has created their own separate community ?

For sure, though I think the (real) far right have been very successful in getting their ideas out into the mainstream. Terms like "unvetted males" and "men of fighting age" definitely originated on far right social media and yet you see them bandied about all over the place now. It's quite possible though that many people mightn't even be aware of their origins, which is why they might be baffled when it is insinuated that they could be holding 'far right' views.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Classic! Cant wait to see the prog sophistry try to square this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Advertisement