Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭OEP

Is it really ridiculous to ask if you can plug in your car? Have you ever charged your phone at someone's house?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

Let’s park the environment argument, I’m not saying there isn’t an argument, and there is definitely a break even point where evs are better, but I suspect the case is still that running a 02 Yaris for 400kms and 25 years wins out; but capitalism and human desire is an issue.

regarding costs the 02 Yaris also wins, but a 50k PHEV will have the same access to cheap electricity. It will also do 80k without the engine even warming up, if the grid is such it will use renewable electricity, it also uses less raw materials, and given the ice will only run about 10% of the time it will last forever.

The mistake people made with PHEVs was they went out and bought bmws and Volvos which are for the most part Procrustean efforts.

Yes, I am a Toyota fan, but it’s hard not be be impressed by the sheer simplicity and elegance of their current hybrids and PHEVs from an engineering perspective; and the fact they appear to be largely faultless bears testimony to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Not everybody will be suited to the few hours 5c rate though. It's actually quite a niche market.

Then if it's a business expense you can possibly claim 23% vat back and write the rest off anyway.

I'm not sure about lower depreciation either. You can do it in a 12 year old ICE with 200000kms clocked that you bought for €1000. I'm not sure what range BEV €1000 would get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

In fairness Im referencing people with no home charging or people needing more than 5 seats (who don't deal drugs😂) or someone who tows. Ive on many previous occasions agreed that for all others an EV should be on their list if upgrading new or used

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Would a phev use less raw material than a bev? I agree regarding their hybrids, I had a Lexus IS300H and it was flawless, served me well for six years.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Charge a phone is less than €0.05. charging a car for a couple of hours could be 2 or 3 euro depending on what charger they have and the rate they are on.

So yeah, I'd let someone charge their car for an hour, but ask them to revolut me €5.00... seems fair to me.

Also in relation to car depreciation, we have VRT, Dealers (Stealers) and to and extent RHD to blame for that. RHD and VRT (among the other import taxes) severely limit the market to the average Joe. The markup dealers are making on second hand and new cars is ridiculous. I for one would never buy a car from the UK again (at least not one over 2 or 3 years old.... Rust buckets)

Like if second hand car is on sale for €20,00, the trade price is probably around €12,000 or less.

Some of the Newer EV companies are trying hard to cut out the dealer network as it makes the price of their vehicle uncompetitive compared to ICE vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭crl84

QPark has EV chargers in the car park.

So it wouldn't involve an extra stop at all, and your car would be charging while you're doing your business.

I've no issue with the paying for it part. The previous poster said it's ridiculous to ask someone if you can charge your car. 99% of people wouldn't want 5eur anyway, assuming it's not every other day you're looking to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭crl84

ICE cars don't just magic petrol/diesel into them. It's not much different than finding a petrol station and filling up. And the frequency is less for most people, due to home charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

How about you're having friends or family members over with multipe EVs looking for a charge to get home. Id have no issue with someone seeking a charge if they needed it but for a lot of EV drivers free electricity is like cocaine, they wont know when to stop😂. Remember the locals hogging the free public changers.

It will be the same with feee work charging when a significant proportion of workers are driving EVs, que a new IR problem

• Advertisement

We're getting to edge cases here! If I've multiple EVs who've driven 175km one way (this was the original case) to visit me, then they can charge away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

Good to see analysis like this - I do a similar trip and aside from an EV forcing two extra stops to charge it worked out slightly dearer to fuel- ie Ionity 71 cent, my night rate 15 cent and 20kW avg for higher motorway speed. I do it twice a month but on long days working and driving it’s massively inconvenient having the car force me to stop - I’m stopping in the city anyway and will get food, toilet time etc, so don’t need to an added stop in Kildare each way.

If fuelling an EV isn’t cheaper for me then it’s another diesel where I’ve seen v low cost to change and zero repairs etc as I sell up often and early

Assuming they are free (unlikely) and my business is done before the procrastination surcharges kick in (highly unlikely).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Don't buy an EV yet, ICE vehicles will be on sale new until 2035, and available used till at least 2050. If your so set on finding reasons why it won't work for you maybe you should just put off purchasing an EV and not worry about it.

I’m just demonstrating why many of the general populace are not too anxious to take the Sh models bought by the early adopters, that’s the thread topic I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

Would folk think it’s fine to ask to siphon a few litres of home heating oil off their Ma to fill up the Jetta Diesel? I certainly wouldn’t dream of asking somebody I was visiting to provide me with fuel for calling up

He's not "finding reasons" merely stating what are actual valid reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@liamog - "ICE vehicles will be on sale new until 2035, and available used till at least 2050."

I thought all ICE vehicles would have to be scrapped by 2046? Classic cars from 2006 or before excepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You really think that's going to happen, lol, worst case scenario some classics will be exported. That stop oil brigade are unhinged. Little did I think Patrick Moore would be a conspiracy theorist hated by the greens rolling into 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Poster is doing the same thing we've seen for years now, people coming to an EV forum and telling EV owners why their cars don't work. As BEVs become more capable the requirements become increasingly broad. EVs aren't for everyone yet, but we've a long time to go before they need to fill every niche.

The current wave of depreciation has little to do with capabilities of the cars for sale, the issue is a general economic slowdown due to inflation, coupled with manufacturers not being able to milk the gravy train of a supply constrained new BEV market. That's led to new prices dropping back to more reasonable levels and used prices taking a corresponding hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You would be one of the good ones, I had a LL once refuse to allow me to install a hub controller (wifi connected thermostat) worst thing is it would have cost neither of us anything

Some LLs see the smallest things as unwanted hassle

The only bans I'm aware of that are legislated for are the 2030 55% reduction in tailpipe CO2 emissions and 2035 100% reduction in tailpipe CO2 both apply to new cars and vans sold in the EU. I've not seen any legislation targeting used cars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There’s no time surcharge on destination chargers in the locations I’ve mentioned or the location you’ve mentioned you park in.

Firstly as a moderator of boards I should have thought you would be glad that there is active debate here and not tumbleweed; the future of the site isn’t always assured.

Secondly the last thing you want in any forum is groupthink and echo chambers.

Thirdly this is an EV and Hybrid forum. I own both a hybrid, and a PHEV; the PHEV of which I traded in for another in the next few days at a good rate. I originally posted that it seems HVs and PHEVs are not apparently suffering from the same residual malaise as EVs from my own current experience.

The reality here is the mainstream are not ready for what I have do doubt is the future for two reasons:

1) the infrastructure is rubbish

2) there hasn’t been a second act yet to move on from what I think was the historical and momentous Tesla Model S.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

EV forum is one of the busiest on the site. I don’t think we need to worry about tumbleweed just yet.

Its perfectly fine not to want an EV, but to the posters coming in for a glance and posting that EV’s can’t do the very thing EV owners do with little to no inconvenience is laughable.

It just seems like the goalposts are constantly moved. So what. Buy an ICE. It’s not a cult. Nobody else cares.

I disagree, the most environmentally friendly choice is a bicycle, with an old banger Vs EV it's probably less efficient on fuel and needs replacement parts the whole time

Possibly but I don't think so

I see these brands as being cheap but not necessarily value for money and I think the second hand market will reflect this... Also I read an article a few months back that we would have 20 odd brands by the end of the year, I count 3?

They were saying a few years ago 2030 would be the limit for new sales and from 2040 an ICE wouldn't pass the NCT

The goalposts keep moving on that though

boards is one of the few php bbs still alive. It’s a good resource. Informed debate is good, you may disagree with the content, but that’s hardly the point.

Mass market EVs didn’t exist until the Tesla Model S which is still on sale. The technology is still developing. I think they are still in the Betamax, dvd+rw, windows 3.1 phase; and if they are not then it is likely they will not survive.

• Advertisement

I think we can look to more mature markets and see that most of the 'problems' aren't really problems at all. Infrastructure is improving every month, @zg3409 seems to spend every other day posting about a new DC charger in the charger notification thread.

EV sales have sat at just under 20% for the last three plates, I don't think that's a sign of not ready for the mainstream.

The Nissan Leaf was the mass market EV mover, that, the eGolf, and the BMW I3 released 10 years ago. Its only with Model 3 and Model Y that Tesla have moved into mass market production.

People have been calling for a cheaper EV entry price for years, now that the entry prices are dropping the same people are complaining about depreciation due to price drops.

I don't think PHEVs saw the same demand induced price gouging so haven't seen the same price reductions.

Advertisement