Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Harte is being paid a ransom so I think he’ll be out to do as well as possible and hit the ground running.

What are people’s expectations of Cavan for the season? I have to say last year was so deflating that this is the first year in a while I don’t have much expectations.

To stay in Division 2 will be a positive success for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mogue77

I’d would be cautiously optimistic this year I know Ray has no management experience but he has a wealth of experience playing county football in different positions and he has learned a great deal from different managers down the years, he also has a very strong back room team, he has two coaches that coached teams in all Ireland finals and a assistant manager that won two ladies all Irelands coming from a low base, Damien keaney has also proved himself to be a very good manager, plus some very good players brought into the panel like Ryan Brady Brian O’Connell Paddy Meade, James smith back in and hopefully injuries cleared up to the like of Dara Mcveety who has excellent last year until the injury. Let’s all get behind the team and management.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I have to say I am not overly optimistic for 2024, because I think the team will be looking to change tactics and that will take time. Unfortunately we don't have time and we need to hit the ground running to do well in Div2.

The championship draw is terrible and I don't think any of the 9 counties would win Ulster with our draw.

So we need to do well in the league and get into the round robin championship to bring the team on. I think we will do well to get the 3 wins needed to stay up but that has to be the No 1 goal this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Far stronger team named than I expected.. Derry have 6 starters from AISF named to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Didn't make it outta Dublin in time to make Cavan Town. Luckily for the IPTV. Decent first run out Carolin through the middle looks very good, Liam Brady with a couple of big saves, turned over some good ball but far too defensive at times.

As for the expectations for the year,.stay in division two, quieten those Monaghan and Meath ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I couldn't make it down but watching on the stream Derry looked the far better team. Their tackling was at a level we've not faced in some time and we struggled to make any inroads. In trying to contain Derry it meant that when we did turn them over there were no options to break. There's no shame in that, Derry are the best team in Ulster and we have a long way to reach that level. Thought O'Connell and Carolan played well. Oisin Brady kicked two nice scores after a shaky first half.

Thought it was poor overall.

Derry the far slicker outfit, their tackling/work rate were outstanding and their running lines/angles cut us open time and time again.

I couldn't see a game plan to be honest, the only man who would kick pass the ball offensively was Oisin Kieran(Castlerahan).

We ran the ball over and back,eventually running into trouble. Same story as last year.

We held onto the ball 4 or 5 times for too long and got turned over when they surrounded us.

Add to that the 3/4 frees for pulling and dragging for their kick outs...

There were some good individual performances, I thought both Oisin Kiernans,Niall Carolan,O Connell James Galligan and Oisin Brady/ Liam Brady( after shaky starts from latter two) did well.

Gerry Smith/ Liam Fay showed well from the subs,Shehu showed more in 30 seconds than some of the other subs did in 15 minutes, I hope he starts against Down.

Only 4/5 weeks to the Kildare match, I wouldn't be pushing the panic button,but not optimistic at all watching that, it just seems like a carryover from the sluggish finish to 2023.

Was at the match. Lovely evening for it and considering it was January and McKenna Cup, it wasn’t a bad game. Derry brought a decent crowd with enough there to clap them off the pitch. Some dedication given its two hours each way.

James Galligan was the pick of the newer/returning players for me. Far too often we didn’t make contact or get hands on but Galligan fought for everything.

Derry looked a far slicker outfit. They moved with and without the ball better and their tackling was ferocious. They often managed to isolate a man, getting two or three quickly around them.

Oisin Kiernan (Rahan) didn’t look to be running right off the ball. I also thought he was lucky not to be booked sooner.

I’m sure someone will remind me I haven’t been his biggest fan in the past but Killian Brady really struggled I thought. He was getting shouts from the stand to push up but I think Ray was telling him to stay back.

And why in gods name were we pulling everyone back and playing 15 behind the ball when their keeper was so far up the pitch? At least leave one man up for a quick ball option.

I watched the stream of the game. Was very disappointed with the first half but I thought we improved in the 2nd. You cant read too much into these games (who can forget Longford winning the O Byrne cup last year and then getting tanked in Div3 directly afterwards). I think it was fairly clear to me anyway that Derry looked a bit fitter than us so possibly ahead of us in training.

I'd have a concern on Liam Brady under a high ball, throwing silly punches at balls is what lost Donegal the 2020 ulster final. Claiming a high ball into the box was something Ray was excellent at. Maybe it was nerves.

James Galligan looked decent and put himself about.

The issue I have at this early stage though is we are easy enough to open up at the back while we are still poor enough at opening up the opposition. I didnt see anything indicating that we were changing our approach, but maybe people who were at the match can correct me as I know its often hard to see that on a TV screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

What is the approach you would like to see?

The game now is a possession game defend in numbers and counter attack at speed which most teams try to do but a misplaced pass or a good bit of tackling can slow it down for a few seconds and everyone has flooded back and then it's back to passing around looking to get someone into space to get a shot away.

A brave team might leave 1 or 2 up front but if there man sprints up the field i think they have to go with them.

• Advertisement

Excellent point re Brady. He flapped at a ball that cost a 45 in the first half and, in the second, he punched a couple I thought he could have caught. Again, though, as you say, it may be nerves, he really should have been given some minutes by the previous management before now.

We won’t come up against a team as wise and well schooled as Derry in Division 2. They know exactly when, where and how to foul. And, when they do foul, you’re not getting the ball moving again quickly, that’s for sure.

I thought it was a good work out but I’d still question why we had two of the best midfielders in the county, Ryan Donohoe & James Smith, stuck up the pitch while poor Padraig Faulkner was trying to traipse around midfield. Faulkner put in a great shift but surely his time for playing midfield at intercounty is passed.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Tackling in packs with more aggression.

Attacking with speed, early kick pass - we've not done this well for a number of years.

You ask a question about forwards have to track back, I would say No. You decide who stays up and leave them up. If the back has run up the field then figure a way to defend with one less and when you win the ball back you should be having a simple long pass for a certain score. There is more than one way to play football despite what the 1 million GAA gurus tell you.

You can argue the pro's and con's of any system, I just didnt see a change of system of any sort last night and I though Ray had said he was looking to make us more attack focused. We score 1-10 (0-04 with the wind in the 1st half)

Are David Brady and jack McKenna on the panel?

You certainly wouldn’t believe we were a team who had a hardened and renowned All Star back coaching us for the last couple of years. Our failure to get contact on the opposition is going to be a big issue if it doesn’t improve.

I also thought Ray cut a lonely figure along the sideline given the large back room team he is meant to have? Even in the second half, I could hear a very distinctive Derry voice in the stand echoing from the terrace side of the pitch but Ray looked to be the only person giving any direction to Cavan.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Arva game on TG4 YouTube App. Six up at the minute and hopefully they push on. Excellent pass by 14 (Bouchier?) for the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

It's first game so probably still needs time to get ideas across. Isn't now only one member of management allowed along sideline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Arva going so well until that mess up by the keeper

It'll be tight from here on in

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

No way that ball went over line. Didn't even hit back of post.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Unless the keeper was behind the line when he fumbled it. He broke the golden rule of letting the ball bounce in front of him. Poor goalkeeping.

Just because they aren’t standing right along the sideline, doesn’t mean a coach can’t be vocal.

Derry definitely had someone over the terrace side second half and they also had Harte and another man fairly vocal on the stand side. The second man on the stand side was more in the dugout than the actual sideline so maybe that is a rule now and they were bending it.

• Advertisement

Down looked decent against Derry. Will be a good tough game on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I see Cullyhanna won their Intermediate semi final yesterday, it’ll be a fair sickener for Ballyhaise if they win the final.

Yes I heard they were very good and were unlucky to get a black card that allowed Derry to move ahead. They are 11/10 with Powers to win Div 3. Looks good odds to me.

Black card for should have been a free in to them. At one point they had a 20m free to go 3 ahead, inconceivably he dropped it short and Derry got a point from the counter attack. Think the black card was the next play. They looked very fit too. Watched Tyrone and Donegal yesterday and both flying fit. Clearly the pre season ban on training isn't been adhered to by a lot of teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Couple of changes from last week.

Good to see Fergal O’Rourke getting a start.

Big improvement from the Derry match,

Forward play very good, lovely direct ball in, and some lovely worked direct running moves..

James Smith and Paddy Lynch causing problems aswell..

Fergal O Rourke very impressive in goals also.

Backs being cut open very easily though,like last year against Down which is a worry.

Liam.Kerr and Odhran Murdock have caused problems,with their direct running,Kerr has Brian O Connell on him now, his third marker...

Much better than the Derry match for me so far, hope we can up it again ,in the second half.

2nd half was a mess..

Ryan Brady and Faulkner were exposed at midfield with James Smith taken off,one of the smallest and weakest midfield in Ireland outplayed us in the air in the second half. The lads are outstanding footballers,but neither are IC midfielders,neither are strong enough under the high ball in my opinion.

The Backline was badly exposed in the second half,Havern caused havoc when Killian Clarke came off.. we are going to shift some heavy scores in division two, I feel.

The forward play was mostly good,with the exception of a couple of missed goal chances...

Gerard Smith and Oisin Brady were exceptional in the 2nd half..

1-15 should be winning games in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

That game was a mix of good, bad and awful. Oisin Brady played really well. Some nice attacking moves. Loved the effort put in and that we won some dirty ball and was happy that once Down got in front midway through the second half we seemed to up our game and looked to have enough.

Solid performances from Killian Clarke and Brian O'Connell again. Oisin Kiernan and Gerry Smith did well.

Whereas Down's bench contributed, once we started to make changes, we didn't add much. That's a worry.

The two goals were awful- first one from Faulkner unnecessarily caught in possession. Second one was a well-worked move but O'Rourke has to save that. We also had some goal chances that we butchered in the second half. If we get chances like that in division two, we will need to take them, simple as that.

O'Hare pushing up on our kick out in the second half- and especially the last ten minutes- seemed to completely outfox us. We didn't have a plan B and the kicking from O'Rourke wasn't great to be honest. We conceded five points in a row from play in that passage. We are going to have to improve on how we beat that sort of full press when we take on the likes of Armagh and Donegal or it's going to be a massacre

Given that a lot of teams are going to have sweeper keepers these days, I think Gary O'Rourke needs a run. He's the one of the three that is best placed to play that role. O'Rourke from Laragh doesn't have that in his locker and I am not sure if Liam Brady does either.

• Advertisement

I know its January and I know it is McKenna cup but that was depressing. We are the most mentally weak team in the country. We will find a way to lose. Who concedes 5 points in 5 minutes of injury time!! 6 points up and concede 2-2 in what 7 or 8 minutes.

Most depressing is I do not see any new players there bar maybe James Galligan (whos not really new). We have a massive problem in goals lads. O Rourke is clearly not at the level required. Liam Brady I dont think hes ready either. Paddy Lynch needs a boot up the hole, very little work from him on the ball or off the ball.

We will need to old guard back and going well as we fell apart against a Down team that I was expecting to be decent but were actually very poor. I thought we'd survive Div2, and we might, but I am a lot less confident than I was.

Advertisement