Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Renting leasing a farm with faciities is risky buisness end of lease and its not renewed what ur going to do maybe dairy stock a bad trade.Leasing large proportion of ur dairy farm at high rent will only lead to money loss.with all the things against farmers new vat rule envionment extra storage needed calf rules the list gets bigger every week not year.Investing in dairying at the minute is high risk and probably not worth the effort and stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Know 1 or 2 at it, expanded infrastructure at home to winter stock but move cows out in spring, best thing they did, generating money to give options by end of lease. Depending on location could be a viable option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Anyone price slatted tanks lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The hardest part is getting someone to do the work. Dont think we'll be doing any building here for a long long time ever again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭visatorro

waiting on a fella to get back to me. Spend a ball of money to stand still!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

Thanks a mill Jack, great feedback. I'll press ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Good suggestion!

If a young farmer had stock and machinery in hand, they could hit the ground running. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was putting personal money into farming.

It’s quite doable here. There’s a 331ha mixed tillage and dairy farm for sale in the next parish and if you’d the stock and machinery in hand, the capital cost would be easily financed by banks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Anyone thinking of going.at.cows should have a look at the Welsh guy on the grasstec channel on YouTube.if you're starting out with a small land base and little capital you can't afford to have any pretensive notions on what you need to do to get going.renting money is no different to any other cost and carries risk s.the beauty of renting is you can try it-if it doesn't work ,walk away.the asset value of milking facilities is poor relative to the cost.

• Advertisement

Agree.

Grant or no grant any agri buildings are essentially a liability. While dairying is fashionable the buildings carry some residual value, but when/if it falls in popularity, most buildings could be pretty much worthless. Saying that the pig/poultry buildings are worthless because they’re almost impossible to repurpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

With regard to milking facilities why couldn’t you just work with what you have. Extend current parlour if possible or retrofit a secondhand parlour into an existing loose shed? Or even use a grant for shed for parlour and collecting yard tank and buy a secondhand parlour. You could have a 20 unit setup for 100k or less whereas a greenfield job wouldn’t stop at 300k.

You can make facilities as dear as you want but you’ll have the same number of cows…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

We're still working on the assumption that bigger is better and biggest is best. Cross bred stack them up higher and don't be worried about pesky rules and rules changes. Now on a slightly more serious note. There is a point where renting a turnkey farm is a good idea but I believe that that cost point has been passed a couple of years ago. I think you're just going to make an old man of yourself for someone else's gain. Cos that big payday is just around the corner ......Next year . Next year will be better. I'm hearing that one for a long time now

Surely you’re better off trying to improve things on the home farm with smary utilization of grants etc. milking 80-100 cows on owned ground aurely makes more sense than renting a place to milk 150+ when all is said and done with need for additional labour in spring and throughout the year on rented farm and when rent is paid are you any better off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I've bought and have rented ground, when the whole thing is divided across all acres farmed the land cost is more than what the rent is per acre. The repayments on purchased ground if it went to rent a farm would rent 3 times the area bought. Nothing is black and white you have to do what suits yourself and the farm.

There is no business imo, standing on its own two feet and supplying a full-time income, can stand still. Farming or otherwise. Be that growing to maintain itself, match income to inflation over a lifetime or indeed for the next generation. Not everyone starts off with a couple hundred acres, some of us have had to grow in order to do whats required to stay in business

What’s round bale silage making?

Italian ryegrass first cut. 44%DM.

13.9 protein. Bales weigh 700kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Anybody that wants to grow in the farming business the best policy is a mixture of renting and purchasing. Renting allows the business to get to a scale where it is then possible to justify buying land. The day you buy land always seem over priced but then 10 years down the road it will seem like good value. The thing with renting is it is a direct cost to the business so it must stack up financially. Whereas purchasing is an investment decision and you are hoping for capital apprecation. In my experiance land has always outperformed money in the bank. We would have bought and sold various amounts of land over the years to get where we are today and although at times it can be testing to meet payments the overall net worth position is always improving.

20 euros a bale and you can deliver it to me 😂😂😂😂

What's the story now if you're going to a bank for money to let's say build more slurry storage and they wont lend to you as you're in derogation?

Absolutely 💯 the home farm should always be supported first and foremost but renting or buying is no harm either .......it just needs to stack up and in a lot of cases at the moment it doesn't renting a dairy farm will never return anything like a top level job for all benefits ie holidays time off sick pay pensions car perks etc etc.

I've also done both and agree with both yourself and gingers points but I don't see value for money in either side at ghe moment the risks vs reward have become too great. Look that's only my opinion . I suppose I'm getting older and starting to see more of the pitfalls instead of the prizes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m trying to borrow from 2 different banks at the moment to go into dairy and derogation hasn’t been mentioned once. It might crop up at some stage but it’s not something that bank officials seem worried about in my experience over the past few months.

If it does become an issue, then it’s just one more bullet point or piece of paper to be sorted. I could be wrong but if a bank won’t lend to a particular farmer, it’s because the business case doesn’t stack up and not because of any statement to the media from the likes of Eamon Ryan.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

If you need to go to the bank for funding for slurry storage there is something wrong with your business model. The farm should be able to fund extra storage from cash flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

B of I are running figures at 220 going forward.

Bigger threat to them is if you are doing development and you dont have enough storage built into your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ozil10

My thoughts on slurry storage capacity.if in derogation of course

Would be hold off until we find out if the 220 is even going be there.

In 2 years time we could be at 170 and no need for it as carrying less cows

So much uncertainty out there at present to be plunging money into concrete .

Exactly plenty of old empty round roof sheds around the country pay a neigbor a few quid to have use of it for ‘bedded storage for cattle’ for the next two years to bridge the gap until people see the lie of the land more than likely derogation is going to be gone so most probably have more than enough storage for at 170 when the time comes already.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

it's amazing how much foresight people have here about future of derogation. if I was a green I'd say it will be easy done going by what I read here. a strong case will have to be made but I would be hopeful some compromise might be reached. by all means wait and see before spending

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would it not ho to 200 first....

We are in derogation and have been for as long as I can remember and I would have always been hopeful a case could be made for it being held in place but the last 6 months tells you everything you need to know, derogation is a certainty to be lost in this country.

No one in power has any interest in making a meaningful case for farmers and it’s the easiest way for the government to reach ag reduction targets.

Start planning for 170 going forward, went for a land loan lately and the bank rang us back after been in with them and only question they had was that they forgot to ask us were we in derogation or not. Made no difference to our application but they are planning for it.

Aib did ask me this time last year when i was looking for my loan what way i was stocked and if I was in derogation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

BOI asked the same here, but this was to judge at 220N down from 250N. Nothing about 170N / dero going.

Advertisement