Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well if the State built an additional 4k houses per year and put people in them, rather than competing against private buyers in the private market to buy houses for the same people, it would surely still help somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here you go, see details below.

The house can never be rented out, and can only be sold to qualified applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anyone who has bought in the last 10 years+ would be impacted and end up in negative equity.

If prices at the bottom get cheaper then everything comes down and hence everyone is impacted.

As for how does it impact the economy? How does anyone move house if they are in negative equity? How does anyone get a mortgage for the extension that they now need because they are stuck in a house thats too small?

If no one can move, what does that do for the economy? Maybe you need to refer to your economics first year notes?

See my multiple previous posts on this.

The government cannot control the lower end of the private housing market without impacting the entire market. The private housing market is a spectrum from the cheapest dwelling of 50K all they way up to the multi million euro houses. If you impact the bottom you impact the top, your idea is akin to taking weight off one end of a see-saw and expecting the other end to remain the same. ITs frankly ridiculous, nevermind from someone who says they studied economics.

The state can only control state/social housing, nothing else, or the whole market will be impacted (read broken).

So you never plan on moving? How wonderful for you. What about the couple on €75K combined who just bought a 1 bed in Ringsend that is now worth 50K less than they paid? What do they do in 3-5 years when they have 2 kids? Or in 6 months when one of them gets a better job in Kildare?

If you impact the bottom you impact the top, seriously, this is 101 stuff here, but I'll break it down for you. The couple who were in the 400K market are now competing with people who used to be in the 450K market, because they can get the same house for 50K less. This pushes the 400K couple down into the previously 350K market, which pushes those people down and so on and so on. Its all linked.

• Advertisement

And how do you separate house buyers into those two markets? Whats your criteria for who gets to buy a cheap SF 3 bed semi for 300K versus those who have to pay 400K for the exact same house 1 mile down the road?

I serioulsy dont understand how some posters on here cannot see that its the same bloody single market.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I serioulsy dont understand how some posters on here cannot see that its the same bloody single market.

The amazing fantasy world of SF economics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

There will be an impact throughout the market.

But this won't be applied evenly.

It's called normal goods vs luxury goods.

Price changes on fast food don't impact much on luxury dining.

It's debatable the extent to which this principle applies to housing. But I'd be quite confident houses in D4 and the huge McMansions won't be impacted much by the availability of affordable housing.

And in case you haven't noticed the market is broken now.

I think that couple in a one bed apartment will be quite happy.

They might now be able to afford the family home. Right now they likely won't because as the value of the apartment rises, the price of their desired family home is rising more, as it's starting at a higher point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭DataDude

The theory of the second part of this makes sense from a pure total transaction cost perspective but the practicalities of raising a deposit means it’s not so for most.

Most upsizers use the equity in their first house to fund the deposit for the next house. Sure the total cost is higher but they can borrow for that.

If they go into €50k negative equity they have to save €50k cash PLUS 10/20% of the next house value which is impossible for most.

• Advertisement

The determination to protect a relatively small cohort who are already on the ladder, but who may have foolishly took on more risk than they can handle, at the expense of all future people trying to get on the ladder, is a big reason why we are where we are today.

Don’t disagree, just pointing out the flawed thinking that negative equity is actually helpful for upsizing.

Edit - well I actually do disagree with the ‘foolishly’ part. Most people are just buying houses to get on with their lives and have families. Prices may be high, but they cant help that. What is more ‘foolish’ - accepting the reality and trying to get on with it, or refusing to engage on a hope things might one day be cheaper.

Other than that, I agree with your sentiment.

Let's suppose all that is true and can't be controlled.

How does that weigh against the economic impact of doing nothing, as is essentially FFG's approach now?

How does the economy looks when we can longer attract research talent from abroad? Where public servants are justifiably looking for more and more pay rises to meet the cost of housing?

What about my nan, she's put away a little lump sum for her retirement, rather than spreading that around the local economy it's now gone as soon as she has to reroof, rewire and insulate her older house and todays, and god forbid tomorrows, construction prices.

What will the economic impact be if we see a far-right element gain some power in Ireland and implement some Truss/Kwarteng logic? (as is far more likely than the now more centralist sf implementing such extreme approaches). Not an entirely unlikely scenario given the rising anger at housing shortages.

How are we going to meet the need to retrofit all the houses now required with the impending ban on fossil fuels?

How do we retain young doctors/nurses/teachers and tradespeople? I appreciate other countries are facing housing problems but not all and likely not for as long as us, given our current commitment to doing nothing.

Not everyone does it foolishly, but in the last crash there were a lot. That is why I said "may have" and I was referring to the sentiment in general, not just at this point in time.

We have to get away from the rush to "get your foot on the ladder now before you miss your only lifetime chance" setup. I have a relative married to someone who bought a house about 60 miles from Dublin during the boom, but who was working in Dublin, because he "had to get his foot on the ladder while he was still able"..........you can guess how that worked out...........but I won't say I don't understand why he felt he had to do it at the time. He literally couldn't afford closer and prices were moving away from him faster than he could chase them. The only apparent way to slow down the ones getting away from you was to get on the same train a bit further back.

It should be feasible for people to choose to rent as opposed to paying interest. So that they don't have the same pressure. Rental situation here is mental - landlords basically expect a passive investment along the lines of "grand, I got a loan and outbid that fella for that house. Here - you live in it for the next 20 years and pay enough to cover all my tax and mortgage repayments on it. Call me in 20 years when it's all paid off. Thanks)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

We probably also need to get away from the thinking that everyone will be able to buy, maybe someone on an average salary will not be able to buy in Dublin unless they make serious sacrifices and that is OK.

I don't think that many people are practically moving up as is.

I think were it to happen, the government could back itself and make up the difference.

Perhaps the state could purchase that one-bed flat at the price originally paid and put it towards social housing. If it was bought within the last ten years it's not likely to be as expensive as the circa 500k the state is now paying developers for one-beds.

Or it could just make up the difference as part of the cost of fixing the last ten years of failure, funding by the economic benefits from fixing these problems.

Yes, but we have a situation where people who cannot buy are paying more than what it would cost to buy in order to rent long term. That is not ok.

Why? You need capital to be able to buy an asset and renting is often more expensive. We need to have affordable rentals for lower income workers in my opinion, but we don't necessarily need to have everyone buying.

"HerrKuehn. We have determined that you cannot afford to buy this house as the mortgage repayments are 1000 a month. Instead, I will take out the mortgage for 1000 a month, and you will need to pay me 2000 a month so that I can pay the interest and capital, after deducting my tax from it" - do you not see anything wrong with that model?

Rents should cover the cost of capital plus a reasonable spread. They should not be covering the capital repayments after-tax. That is double counting.

Yep, I agree with all of this. I probably at times felt a lack of sympathy for those who bought in 06/07 as ‘reckless fools’

Then as someone who bought in the craziness of 2021 - watching prices run away as your rent goes up to €3k a month for a 2 bed apartment and knowing you could be turfed out on a whim with close to 0 rental supply all whilst hoping to start a family - it certainly makes you a little less likely to be a patient spectator when it comes to buying.

• Advertisement

By that logic everyone must have been delighted during the last property crash right? Funnily enough, I don't remember it quite that way.

If you can suddenly, easily get a 3 bed semi in Dublin what do you think that's going to do for the prices of 3 bed semis in commuter belt? What about those people? I guess they are also "quite happy" somehow?

Rental properties would be bought at all different prices, so I am not sure the cost of the rental should be linked to the cost of financing it. We already have a restricted rental market where increases are capped.

Obviously if you can buy something for €1000 a month (€220k?) and it rents for 2k a month, it makes sense to buy it, at least at the moment. Interest rates can rise, rental costs can drop etc. That is purely from the point of view of the purchaser, but there is another perspective, that of the lender. The lender is concerned with making sure you have the ability to pay back the loan (which they have been rubbish at historically which is why we need the LTI restrictions), they aren't really concerned with what is cheapest for the person currently renting.

At what price point does something switch from normal to luxury? House prices are always on a scale, there is no great jump from normal into luxury. I'd wager you can find a house for sale at every price point right now. So when is it luxury and when is it normal? 500K? 450K? 400K?

Honestly all your posts read as "I think the market is already broken for some people, so lets break it for everyone because I think that is fairer"

I am not referring to specific properties being linked to specific rents based on the cost of finance. I am talking about the principle in general that the norm is to exchange your cost of capital (which is the interest - and does not include capital repayments) plus a fair spread for the rental income

There are an awful lot of posters on here who expect the norm to be where the rental income covers cost of capital plus that spread plus the capital repayments after tax. That isn't rational. But the fact that we have a system which does that over the long term is a sign of dysfunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think the size of the micro/macro markets has to be accounted for.

If 1% of 3 bed semis in Dublin are 300k, but the average for the other 99% is 500k, the 99% isnt going to be pulled down in price in any significant way by the 1%.

Although its true the housing market is one entity, it is still comprised of multiple, smaller, micro-markets; some with more influence on overall prices than others.

One key question is how would SF achieve this 300k average and does it relate to the homes they build, or the whole market.

I dont see how they can extend any form of cap to the whole market.

To my mind, the cost of the property, the amount left on the mortgage, interest rates, capital repayments etc are all irrelevant. The property rents at a price people are willing and able to pay. Obviously we have rental caps which benefit really just people who are currently in rentals. The only way to sort it is to increase supply.

I was renting in 2008, the following year after the economy tanked, I went to my landlord and asked for a 30% reduction. He had no choice as there was plenty of supply available. I didn't care if it was covering his capital or interest repayments (in reality neither I suspect, since it was bought in 2005).

I don't think there will be a clear demarcation. The impact of making large scale affordable housing available would be more at the lower end of the market than the top.

And it sounds to me like your advocating for placing protections on profiteering.

"I don't think that many people are practically moving up as is."

So you think the housing market is static in Ireland at the moment? For reference the PPR has just under 60K houses sold in Ireland in 2023.

I don't remember it that way either because prices didn't drop in isolation during the last crash.

House prices fell while unemployment grew and wages dropped.

Whereas implementing changes like these will lead to longer term stability in the economy.

• Advertisement

And how many of those are moving up to larger homes from one-bed starter homes?

Advertisement