Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,630 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

His non fiction book Bad Blood is worth a read. It's a sort of travelogue where he walks the length of the Irish border in the build up to the Good Friday Agreement.

And if like me you think religion is daft The Sign of the Cross is a similar book where he travels around Europe going to various religious sites and festivals. He isn't vicious but also isn't on the fence about how stupid he thinks it all is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

That book was published in 2009 🤣

I haven't read it since but remember being quite underwhelmed by it. Haven't seen the film either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,425 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Running Grave by Robert Galbraith

Another masterclass in how to produce a page-turner by J.K. Rowing. Book 7 sees the private detective duo taking on a religious cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Finished ‘Roadside Picnic’ by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky there. A decent, and different, take on the aftermath of an alien visitation.

Must watch the Tarkovsky film version again, haven’t seen it since I was in college.

Will crack into ‘If on a Winter’s Night a Traveller’ by Italo Calvino next.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

The New Kingdom by Wilbur Smith

Book 7 in the Egyptian series is finally done and dusted. Instead of following the magnus Taita, this is an origin book for Hui.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Read 2 excellent short novels in the past couple of weeks that are perfect for this time of year.

White Fang by Jack London, classic story about a dog/wolf set in the klondike gold rush in Alaska/Northern Canada , really enjoyable easy to read novel that shows how cruel humanity and nature can be , highly recommended and every bit as good as Call of the Wild, (Jack London's other most famous novel) generally you can get them both combined in one book.

Ice by Anna Kavan, dystopian, apocalyptic ,science fiction story.Very weird book and sometimes it can be hard to fully understand what is going on but it's incredibly absorbing when you are reading it and really transports you into another world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'd also recommend reading Whiteout by Ken Follett it's set at Christmas and is the perfect thriller for this time of year, very easy to read and really rattles along at a good pace, the kind of book that is hard to put down.

The Coastal Atlas of Ireland edited by Robert Devoy, Val Cummins, Barry Brunt, Darius Bartlett and Sarah Kandrot.

A third Christmas in a row in which I have read one of the 5kg monsters produced by Cork University Press.

This is obviously a HUGE book but don't let that put you off reading it if you have any interest in Ireland's coastal and maritime history and future prospects. I really enjoyed this and it is not overloaded with a lot of scientific jargon, so it is easily accessible to non-science people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My Christmas book pile is terrible this year girly books about magic libraries, that sort of thing not my cup of tea at all, don't know what my family was thinking at all.

Luckily I have a few books stashed away.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

"What happened to Tradition" - Tim Stanley.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Sound like a resected Rodger Scruton and the kind of book I might like, the eternal battle between, freedom of the individual” and the "need for custom and community”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The Dream of the Celt

Mario Vargas Llosa

Its about Roger Casement.

Iv only started it

Crow Boy by Philip Caveney

A teenage boy, on a school trip to The Mary King's Close, is transported back in time to 1645 during the plague in Edinburgh. He is reluctantly apprenticed to the plague doctor, but something is not right with the doctor...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭raclle

Normandy 44 by Jean Quellien

Detailed account of the liberation of Normandy by the Allies with over 350 monochrome and colour photographs to enhance the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

White noise by Don Delillo.

didnt do much for me, not sure I’ll ever read a novel by this acclaimed author again.

apart from it possibly inventing a version of the Simpsons classic line: “are you saying boo or boo-urns?” Joke, I’m not sure I took much from it.

i also finished The North Light by Hideo Yokohama which is a more recent novel. This was a more conventional mystery novel. Not terribly riveting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I was equally underwhelmed by The Silence, which received equally rapturous reviews. One of those authors I just don't "get", despite having a degree in Literature.

I’ve discovered , whether it’s books or films , that listening to people who thought it was great leads to disappointment . Better ignoring them and find out for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Pax: War and Peace in Rome’s Golden Age by Tom Holland

Gripping, brisk overview of a fascinating period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

LA Confidential is a great book. The movie only really covers the first half of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭well24

Prophet Song by Paul Lynch - Prophet Song is a 2023 dystopian novel by Irish author Paul Lynch, published by Oneworld. The novel depicts the struggles of the Stack family, including Eilish Stack, a mother of four who is trying to save her family as the Republic of Ireland slips into totalitarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sid 1984

Surface Detail

Ian M. Banks

Sci-fi of the first order.

Apologies if he's been mentioned before, I haven't read the thread.

The Spy and the Traitor by Ben MacIntyre

Another brilliant book by MacIntyre, who is quite the master of providing enough detail without it becoming cumbersome.

This book centers on the true story of Oleg Gordievsky, a colonel in the Cold War era KGB, who acts as a double agent for MI6.

The Big Nowhere blew me away with a twist I’ve read the 4 LA quartet and think The Big Nowhere is the best .

Post edited by cj maxx on

Ireland's Islands by Carsten Krieger and Richard Creagh

Book which details some of Ireland's islands with over 200 accompanying photographs taken by the photographer authors. Some of the images are breathtaking and make you want to up sticks and move there in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Not one for the faint of heart as books go though. Loved it, Ellroy himself comes across as bordering on insane based on what I've read about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

A great book, read it a few years ago, think it was part of one of those Irish Times reduced book prices in Eason.

That's a great one, I've picked up some very interesting books over the years from it.

I think what I’ve read about his mother has definitely played a part in his writing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Particularly in The Black Dahlia. But he really comes across as a performer in terms of his public persona cause he seems to push himself as a creative enigma. Not a criticism, he's just one of the more unusual mainstream writers overall cause he seems almost inconsistent. I find it more intriguing than anything else.

Advertisement