Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That was a political declaration by Irish parties and never put into legislation. A politician can say what ever they like, until they pass a law its meaningless.

The regulations I'm referencing are at an EU level and have been enacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

I would argue there would be no EV market were it for the Model S.

Don’t get me wrong, I think EVs are absolutely the future, but right now I know I would find one hard to live with and many are like me, the fears people express are neither unreal nor imagined. I think people will change their minds as the facts change.

Just because one has not bought an EV does not disentitle that person to a view; it’s like arguing that you need to get break a bone before you can express a preference on not having broken bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd have no problem doing it since I pay for all her heating all and lecky anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭OEP

So you wouldn't charge your phone at someone's house? It's the same fuel as the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I would argue that until 2035 even that law is meaningless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you dont use the infastructure, how can you say its rubbish without experience?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

EU emissions regulations have been done multiple times why do you specifically believe that this one is meaningless despite previous versions of the same legislation which have been negotiated, applied and seen to be effective?

Are you suggesting we must all personally experience something before making an informed decision?

As a matter of fact though when I got the phev first I played a game of seeing if I could charge it at various destinations. Apart from a few hotels (little island, the Europe and Fitzgerald’s in Adare) it was a non runner without messing up my plans, waiting, coming back, general fooling. So to answer your question I did try the infrastructure between early and mid 2022 and all that has happened since is the number of users of that infrastructure has increased disproportionately to the infrastructure itself.

am i suggesting that experience of something would confer more knowledge than assumptions, Yes, yes i am.

I would also suggest that your game of pretending to charge a small battery PHEV isnt representative.

Infrastructure

Currently, the majority of EV charging (c.80%) is done at home, and access to and installation of home-charging infrastructure is relatively well established in Ireland. A more significant gap exists in relation to the provision of publicly accessible charging infrastructure.

…thats only the view of the Dept of Transport from 6 months ago, probably can be disregarded too. You should get onto the secretary general of that dept and tell them you have first hand experience of the infrastructure and it is amazeballs.

• Advertisement

you can take what you want from that statement but it seems pretty bland and not instructive. Also did i say anything was amazeballs, you are mostly arguing with yourself.

As has been said to you already no one is forcing you to buy an EV (yet). if you are happy in your Rav4 good for you but i, and other EV owners, dont need you to explain to us why our cars dont really work when the reality is that they do.

Cheerio.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is the crux of the issue. It's starting to work for more and more people. It's past the very early adopter phase. I remember when people would laugh or be curious about EVs when I was charging in public years ago. Now EVs are non-remarkable. Drive around Dublin (an event for us culchies) especially and there are loads of EVs.

I would also argue that you cannot have an opinion that something doesnt work unless you've tried it. Conversely, no one is going to force you out of an ICE car, it's just going to get more expensive as the fuel costs go up, the cost of climate emissions get passed on to you more an more with carbon taxes etc, and EVs are less impacted by this.

Yes EVs are predominantly charged at home. However you can't do the 80% of home charging without the 20% of public charging. The car doesnt work if its restricted to home charging only.

Where this fits into depreciation is interesting. I think as more and more EVs hit the market and R&D costs come down and down (spread across more and more sales) the depreciation curve on earlier cars is going to look bad for a while. Particularly if you buy like I did a Tesla before the price drops of 2022. There are literal people out there in 80k model Y that now less than 2 years later is worth 40k. The cost of early adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I would say there is widespread agreement here that

1/ if you don't have a home charging point then don't go near an EV.

2/ if you will be needing public charging regularly then avoid an EV.

Now this is the EV depreciation thread. We are now at the point where a large cohort of people have their car a few years and would like to trade up.

Until now pretty much the majority of people bought a brand new EV, often at inflated prices, often with a high interest loan.

The real world is here now. People are entitled to discuss it.

When you hear people saying "If you don't want an EV, then move on to another forum, nobody cares" it smacks of burying heads in the sand.

I never said that EVs didn’t work for those that have them, I said there is a reason why many don’t want to buy them; you have been there one trying to force your opinion that people are somehow irrational in preferring ice cars (for now).

by contrast several people here including a number of ‘’moderators” have jumped down my throat with wild accusations simply because I am expressing a coherent, if contrarian, view to the accepted reality here. I have been told I am not wanted because I am not expressing views aligned with EV evangelism. Is very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I bought an EV with a complete ignorance of chargers, never even saw one or knew where they were. Turns out there's loads near me in supermarket car parks, train stations, motorways etc but apart from visiting a few of them to suss it out, I've never had to use them except for the long drives on motorways and I have that sussed for the m1, M4 and M6, m7 and m8 I know my plan.

I still haven't got a home charger as we have 3 x 11kw chargers in work so that does me perfectly, charge to 100% on Friday for the weekend and then if I get below 20% I charge to 80% during the week.

Works for me.

im not sure why you quoted what you did and then posted that to be honest.

I am forcing my opinion? as far as i can see the only one trying to force opinions are the people telling everyone how something they dont have and dont have experience of doesnt work, and why it doesnt work for other peopld.

its very odd indeed.

^^^ the topic of the thread. Let’s get real and explore why EVs have a demand issue.

A lot of the demand issue is down to consumer ignorance.

I think your view is more reflective of PHEV owners than it is of prospective BEV buyers. Your repeated claims that BEVs are not ready for the mainstream is not reflected in the sales numbers, approx 20% of cars over the last three plates have been BEVs, we're well past them only being bought by hobbyists.

Purchase price and the low availability of 3-year-old BEVs is the more common reason that people give for not yet being able to buy an EV. This thread is about the current depreciation being seen by 2021/22 buyers. Depreciation caused by the lowering of purchase prices not by unfounded fears of ever having to charge in public.

I think your suffering from a heavy case of selection bias, fear of public charging is an oft-cited reason to purchase a PHEV so it's not surprising that your seeing the evidence to justify your decision. Similarly, it's not that surprising that people who daily drive EVs are responding with a much more nuanced experience.

Public Charging is nowhere near the impossibility that some people have built it up to be, here's a pic of CCS chargers around Dublin from Zap-map. It wasn't too long ago that there were only 7 single CCS points in the same area. The infra is getting better, and every time it does a CCS car from 2014 such as the BMW I3 becomes less challenging to use. I don't think that 2024 is going to be the final year where any CCS infrastructure is deployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

The world is wrong, but you are right? The market has failed? The entire populations of the United States and Europe are imbeciles? Good luck with that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Theres plenty of people giving real world experience of the public charging network and how it has failed them.

It's not a secret you know.

you are proving my point for me with your posting.

yes and there are plenty of people giving real world experience of how it hasnt. It works for a lot more people than it doesnt, not that you would think that with all the posters here, who have never used it, giving us all the reasons why it doesnt work.

No I’m not. When the yanks won’t buy electric f150s, musk needs to reduce the price of his cars and VW can’t sell IDs there is a demand issue. I’m sure the Chinese have had an impact on the supply side in Europe (but not the US), but that doesn’t adequately explain the sharp drop in demand (at any realistic price potentially) for Sh EV vehicles.

i get this is emotive as people like to think their cars are “desirable”. (Except me, I don’t care, I drive a Camry every day)

You said:

The entire populations of the United States and Europe are imbeciles? Good luck with that argument.

Thats just nonsense, whats the point of engaging with that standard of posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The network here is not great, that's for sure. No one (i assume) is saying it is. However it's perfectly usable and getting much better. Even compare this time this year to this time last year. Applegreen and circle k "massively" expanded their networks bringing lots of HPC online. Easygo are doing well too. Ecars and surprisingly Tesla are lagging behind.

• Advertisement

i dont subscrible to the NYT, perhaps you will be able to explain how that one article supports your assertion that the entire population of the NA and Europe and europe arent imbeciles (and by extension arent going to buy EVs when plenty of them already have) and how it addresses misinformation and irrational range anxiety in a lot of drivers.

Advertisement