Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,022 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What did you put on it? The Born is on 19s where as some ID3 were in 18s weren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Goodyear and 20's. The base Born is on 18's too, same three sizes through the range as an ID 3. Plus one extra size on the wider 20's.

€1200 for a service and set of tyres is way overpriced. Unless you had the 235/40/20 version with the Michelin PS4s

Ah I thought all the Born's started on 19s.

Was the €470 for two tyres on yours? €470 seems cheap for 4?

Four from tyreleader and fitted locally. Buying tyres locally is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I got a service pack with 4 tyres.

got 2 tyres at 40k, 2 more at 45k

getting new wipers in a Few weeks and willl get Brake pads, etc in a few months

from VW view it makes cars on PCP more attractive as most those parts Last a few years after upgrading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Surely tyres via a service pack would be decent brand OEM spec and not the usual Ling Long ditchfinders most tyre outlets will try to sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I got the exact same set with my service pack, Bridgestone Potenza I think they're called. I found them fine for grip and noise etc but only got 24k KMs from them. Although I suppose I was doing launches away from lights etc when I got my EV first, that wouldn't have helped. I'm over that know so hopefully these ones last a bit longer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭joe1303l

EV specific tyres often not renowned for longevity. Some don’t even have the full 8mm of thread depth of most new tyres. It can be closer to 6mm, something to watch out for.

I agree most places will stock the cheapest crap available. Especially now the ID 3/Born sizes are being made by more companies.

If people are happy to pay €1200 for four tyres and one service it's their money. Personally I'd expect one service and two sets of premium tyres for that.

Cupra Care is €800 (not €1200) and includes the following:

- Brake Fluid Change

- Pollen Filter Replacement

- 1 set of Front Brake Pads

- 1 set of Front & Rear Wiper Blades

- 4 Tyres

• Advertisement

From their January 2024 brochure it is €1,200: Recommended on the road price is RRP including delivery charges of €2,000 as recommended by CUPRA Ireland. Delivery charge includes CUPRA Care Pack which can be removed upon request. Delivery charge with CUPRA Care Pack removed is €800

https://www.cupraofficial.ie/content/dam/countries/ie/cupra-website/product-guide/born/cars-models-info-K11-product-guide-Jan-2024.pdf

A pollen filter is about €10. Very unlikely you will need brake pads, I have over 80k on mine and they are no where near needing replacement.

Anyway like I said earlier it's not my money. If the brochure is wrong and it is the €800 you mention I can see why people might consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Have cupra decreased prices, removed care pack as standard and offered it at an increased price?

Smoke and mirrors so.

It couldn't be removed when I bought mine so I didn't argue, there were only 2 cars available when I bought mine

All different now with supply exceeding demand

Edit: Ignore, I read it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ev fan

To each his own but I'm happy to have the service plan for piece of mind for 3 years. I expect my tyres will be changed on the main service after 2 years (2025). If not 2 will be changed and the other 2 on the 3rd year service(minor). Likely to get the Bridgestones again - 19" - they have about 6mm depth but supposed to be reasonably hard wearing so will last provided you don't have a heavy right foot. I stand to be corrected but I would think these tyres fitted would be at least eur 700 - so along with main and minor service plus replacement parts as/if needed it adds up to OK value IMO - hopefully hassle free car for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Cupra Care Pack when I got my car last year was €600. Wipers are €50 from a dealer, even online they can be €40-50. Pollen filter is €59, brake fluid is €69, pads were quoted as €170 on my Golf so use that as a guide. The tyres on mine are Continental on 20" which are one of the cheapest branded tyres on offer, they're €160 online and every local tyre place charges €20-30 per tyre so that's €720.

If it's €1,200 now and can be removed then absolutely get rid of it but for anyone who got it up until now it's value for money, even if you get a cheap cabin filter and wipers online. Although anyone on PCP wouldn't need brake pads, fortunately I'm holding onto mine long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭jkforde

I experienced this issue last week... charging the car at home on a breezy night (not wild by any means) and next morning I found the white cover of the charging port door on the ground, the wind had shook it off! it was very easy to put back on port door but anyone else experience this? needless to say, not impressed re. design and build quality 😮🤦

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Compliments to the ID.3's range GoM, driving home awful weather said I would have 15km spare, had 15km spare!

Related to the above, wow does wind and rain take a bite, charged at Kinnegad and gave myself a 55km buffer to get home, that was down to 15km by the time I got home - well im guessing it was the wind and rain tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Firblog

I've a mate thinking about buying ID.3 - 2nd hand. What should he look out for? were original versions better spec'd? What price a 20 / 21 model?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The main thing would be that the software is up to v3.2 to save you the hassle of having to get it booked into a dealer. It's free, but it means losing the car for 2-3 days while the dealer updates it. And you need v3.2 as the earlier versions have gremlins you dont want to be dealing with... v3.2 is solid.

Having it at v3.2 also means the battery will have been tested for weak cells as there was a recall to check earlier versions which allowed water ingress and could have damaged some modules.

The ID.3 has been a solid reliable car so not much else to look out for but a few of us have had the charge flap give up (changed under warranty if still in warranty) and a few of us have had the drop links prematurely wear out (1st editions only I think), detailed here (warranty fix also): https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121332425/#Comment_121332425

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Got to work yesterday(1st day back) with 20% left, when I tried to charge the charge port cover would not open, I tried the lock/unlock multiple times fix but it didn't help.

I called into VW in Cork and they said mine was the 3rd in today with a faulty actuator, no slots available until Jan 15th to replace it.

In the meantime they would open it and let me know how to proceed until the 15th.

3 hours later of waiting around, they sent me away with the metal body part removed (1 guide clip broke) and they had opened the door part that sits under the metal body.

Their interim solution was to hold it closed with gaffa tape so it was nearly flush but not enough to lock the actuator in place again.

I asked were they confident this would hold up in the rain, and they said I might need to replace the tape some times if it becomes unsticky.

Since we live in Ireland it of course rained within an hour of me leaving and when I got back to work I had to charge for a bit, the tape would not stick again so I had to close it.

I am now back to square one again as it will not open, waiting for another call back from VW now, their service is beyond woeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

I found VW cork to be particularly bad, they literally couldn't give a hoot. The old style local VW dealer network seemed to be better. Kind of like the one in Kerry at the moment. A bit of ownership and responsibility...

If you have a hair bobbin handy you should be able to wrap it around the actuator and loop it through the little slot on the flap where the actuator holds the flap closed. I did this on my dad's ID4 for him after he walked into the open flap and broke a clip.

Hey thanks, could you explain how this would work a little more? I might be stuck to get home today if I can't get it open

If you can send a picture of the open flap I'll try scribble on it.

It's currently locked closed/stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Considering an ID3 in 2024 along with a BMW i3- if any owners would like to give their good/bad/indifferent views of their own purchase of ID3 considering you’ve had them now for a few years very happy to listen to you as I may well end up buying yours from a dealer in the coming months- or not - thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The ID.3 is a decent car. Nice to drive... think Golf.... it's basically that.

If you are buying new then I think you have nothing to worry about.

If you are buying secondhand then you have a couple of small considerations....

1) the issue posted just above about the charge flap (they are starting to fail now on some cars). It's not an EV issue. It happens on VW ICE cars too.

2) drop links in front suspension can prematurely wear in the very first batch of 1st editions, should be OK on anything from 212 onwards.

3) Ensure any car you buy is on v3.2 or later of the software. It will mean that you wont have any of the software issues that you will see on every discussion forum about the ID cars. The vast majority of those issues are resolved.

Those 3 issues are covered under warranty if they need doing as long as the car is <3yrs old and less than 90k km's OR <2yrs old (unlimited mileage).

I dont have experience of the i3 but a big one would be that it's a 4 seater. If that's not an issue and the rear doors dont bother you then it's a decent car by all accounts with most owners being very happy with it. Maybe post to the i3 thread to get more specific feedback on it in terms of range etc (which wont be as much as the ID.3).

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Have both, two great cars- just make sure to get a well spec’d id3 with Matrix set up, travel assist and 3.2. Travel assist with 3.2 is brilliant, multiple lanes displayed and the car adapting to other drivers, side assist comes with travel assist- I’d look for a tech model. I’ve had a born for 10 weeks and was happy getting the id3 back, spent two weeks before Christmas in a MY and was glad to get the id3 back, the Y is a big car.

i3 is an i3, brilliant little car, I’ve nearly 190,000km’s on my 161 Rex and it’s still giving the same range as new, ultra reliable- just replaced the 12v for €130 and an oxygen sensor for €90, that’s about all I’ve had to do apart from the normal 2 year service (€140) in 7 years of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks a mill - great to learn about the “known issues”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mine was like that for months while I waited for parts. Just give it a pull here, slip your finger behind that tab and it'll pop open.

Advertisement